Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T7-based California announced for end of 2023

A diesel hybrid option sounds like it could appeal to some as well as AWD option. Ford will be eating VW's lunch if they don't make this the platform for the T7 and rely solely on the MV Concept.

A diesel hybrid option sounds like it could appeal to some as well as AWD option. Ford will be eating VW's lunch if they don't make this the platform for the T7 and rely solely on the MV Concept.
Except the Ford price is getting quite steep as well. Starting price: €76,5k
Count in the options like AWD and/or hybrid and some other stuff and you’re hitting >€80k easily.

Pricing of all these campervans is going crazy. I paid approx €50k for a very similar brand new Nugget only less than 2 years ago…

Except the Ford price is getting quite steep as well. Starting price: €76,5k
Count in the options like AWD and/or hybrid and some other stuff and you’re hitting >€80k easily.

Pricing of all these campervans is going crazy. I paid approx €50k for a very similar brand new Nugget only less than 2 years ago…
It is what it is. The market sets the price. Now that VW are stepping away from a commercial transporter based Cali, Ford is seeing an opportunity.

As an existing Nugget owner, I can see there are some sensible improvements here over the existing version (blinds instead of curtains, chairs built into the tailgate etc). But you still have the same issue with buying one, that if anything goes wrong Ford won't be much help.

We recently split the roof fabric (kids, don't ask), and Ford can't help. Westfalia will send a new roof fabric from Germany, but Ford won't fit it as they don't have experience doing that. So you end up in this weird situation where you have a vehicle bought from Ford, which you then have to pay a third party to fix. In our case, we need to find a third party pop-up roof company to fit the Westfalia supplied new roof fabric.
I would think that the selling dealer of the van is responsible for guarantee things and maintanance?

Marc.

I would think that the selling dealer of the van is responsible for guarantee things and maintanance?

Marc.
Isn't that the big problem with both the Ford Nugget and Mercedes Marco Polo. Both are basically conversions by Westfalia and basically you have 2 companies involved with the warranty and neither take overall responsibility. At least with the California there is only 1 company involved.

Isn't that the big problem with both the Ford Nugget and Mercedes Marco Polo. Both are basically conversions by Westfalia and basically you have 2 companies involved with the warranty and neither take overall responsibility. At least with the California there is only 1 company involved.

Yeah, one company that still can’t sort their own product a lot of the time. Until Volkswagen have a dedicated dealership for California, they’re no better than the rest…

Yeah, one company that still can’t sort their own product a lot of the time. Until Volkswagen have a dedicated dealership for California, they’re no better than the rest…
Still only 1 manufacturer rather than 2 to deal with.

Back