Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 vs T6.1

I was also a diehard manual gearbox guy but 4 years in an Audi S4 with DSG has made me a convert, After 2 knee ops the painless gear shifting especially in heavy stop go traffic is heaven. My Porsche 993 was manual whenever I felt the need, but haven't missed that driver input since selling it. I drive DSG manual mode most of the time which gives me control of the powerband.

I was able to spec standard cruise control for my Coast, but not sure if UK buyers have that option.

Also don't forget the RHD T6.1 loses the dead pedal and if you have knee problems that could be an issue on long drives. What were VW thinking? Apparently there are 3rd party options but I've yet to hear any reports as to how succesful they are.

You’ll not need the 80k mentioned though; I’m all in for well under 65k.

Whats the rough outline of your spec...?
£65k isn’t to bad if that’s the big boy with 4motion.

I’m not ruling out a Cali based conversion and wondering if it’s worth going LWB.
It such a shame Volkswagen don’t offer the Coast, as a direct comparison to the Ocean minus the electric roof...
There’s far to much kit missing from the Coast to make it worthy consideration.

Best I can get my spec for a 4 motion down to is is £70k, that’s with the active suspension, alcantara seats, diff lock & style package, shower & metalic paint etc

On DTD the discount is the same amount of money on a 4 motion as a 150 so less as a percentage.

There’s a few strange things with the style package on the configurater, I can’t have it with the free grey paint. If you spec it on the 150 you have to have the £900 driver aids package, you don’t need that pack on a 4 motion but you do have to have a matching alloy spare wheel for an extra £276.

Just had a play on the configurator.
£76k....

Thats a big difference to £65k

Screenshot 2021-01-10 at 15.24.07.png

Screenshot 2021-01-10 at 15.24.43.png

Whats the rough outline of your spec...?
£65k isn’t to bad if that’s the big boy with 4motion.

I’m not ruling out a Cali based conversion and wondering if it’s worth going LWB.
It such a shame Volkswagen don’t offer the Coast, as a direct comparison to the Ocean minus the electric roof...
There’s far to much kit missing from the Coast to make it worthy consideration.
204 4Mo. No wooden floor, storage net, shower or safe but otherwise similar to above plus all season tyres. Haven’t gone for diff lock either - been up and down on that one but as far as I’ve been able to work out it would be overkill for my intended use and could just be a burden. Hope I‘ve called that one right; I think so, but we’ll see.
Obviously ordered before the latest price rise but you’ll get a decent discount over the configurator prices - DtD and autoebid were around 10% discount when I ordered but the dealer beat their prices by a further 1.5k or so. So I reckon you should be able to get your spec for around 68k now.

Hi Guys n Gals
Any T6 ocean owners out there sold there T6 to upgrade to 6.1, or anyone considering the upgrade?
If so, please let us know what you like and what you dislike about the 6.1 and why you would change or why you would stay with your T6.

I was all for upgrading but not too sure again and was curious to hear other peoples thoughts as well.

Thanks

Its not enough of an upgrade for someone (like me) that bought a late High spec T6 but possibly those with an older few year old T6 that likes new things and a bump in new toys to play with.

Id only upgrade our T6 if it was getting a bit long in the tooth or it was lacking some key options which ours isnt onn both fronts. All depends upon your own situation.

its a difficult decision. Its probably a great time to swap too given the popularity of all things campervans. Theres numerous articles flying about re van life and camper life at the mo. So I'd suggest its as good an opportunity to have a change.

Why do you want to switch? is it an itch that you simply want to scratch?

Interesting.. who are DTD please
Drive the Deal. Very similar to autoEB. Depend on the spec perhaps but if you’re going down the road of paying the least you can (because is a VW dealer relationship worth £7,000?) you might as well get a price from both ...

I think if you are contemplating buying a new van then the T6-1 in what ever form is probably worth considering but only because of the benefits a new vehicle brings. Being able to extend the VW waranty to five years and at a reasonable cost, cheap introductory pre paid service packages, road side assistance, cheap finance etc all make a brand new vehicle an attractive proposition and relatively worry free motoring for a few years.

However, for me at least that's where any advantage ends. The T6-1 isn't a major step change in design or innovation from the T6. I can't think of anything that has been introduced on the T6-1 which you could describe as a substantial improvement. Further more, in my view, some T6-1 design features, represent a backward step e.g that dash. What were they thinking? Yes, they've done the usual mild VW make over but unless you are the type of person who must have the latest version, then the changes are only superficial and you would be gaining nothing of value over the T6.

The T6-1 paint range is the same old, dare I say, mainly drab VW offerings with very little to reflect the leisure vehicle character of the vehicle. The duo colour schemes have changed but there too, the range on offer has been reduced. What would be wrong in offering customers a few more interesting campervan like colour schemes I ask?

There is also the question of reliability? It's true that people usually only post about problems so the majority of T6-1 owners will probably be enjoying trouble free T6-1 ownership and long may that last. However, others haven't and judging by the number of issues being posted, the T6-1 is not without it's problems. By comparison a late end of line T6 should be well sorted and a good deal cheaper as well. Buy wisely and you'd be getting exactly the same experience with almost the same benefits and save a considerable amount in the process.

I would stress that this is just my view. :thumb

Last edited:
I think if you are contemplating buying a new van then the T6-1 in what ever form is probably worth considering but only because of the benefits a new vehicle brings. Being able to extend the VW waranty to five years and at a reasonable cost, cheap introductory pre paid service packages, road side assistance, cheap finance etc all make a brand new vehicle an attractive proposition and relatively worry free motoring for a few years.

However, for me at least that's where any advantage ends. The T6-1 isn't a major step change in design or innovation from the T6. I can't think of anything that has been introduced on the T6-1 which you could describe as a substantial improvement. Further more, in my view, some T6-1 design features, represent a backward step e.g that dash. What were they thinking? Yes, they've done the usual mild VW make over but unless you are the type of person who must have the latest version, then the changes are only superficial and you would be gaining nothing of value over the T6.

The T6-1 paint range is the same old, dare I say, mainly drab VW offerings with very little to reflect the leisure vehicle character of the vehicle. The duo colour schemes have changed but there too, the range on offer has been reduced. What would be wrong in offering customers a few more interesting campervan like colour schemes I ask?

There is also the question of reliability? It's true that people usually only post about problems so the majority of T6-1 owners will probably be enjoying trouble free T6-1 ownership and long may that last. However, others haven't and judging by the number of issues being posted, the T6-1 is not without it's problems. By comparison a late end of line T6 should well sorted and a good deal cheaper as well. Buy wisely and you'd be getting exactly the same experience with almost the same benefits and save a considerable amount in the process.

I can’t argue MORE with your points. But for functionality I am forced down the T6.1 route. As only the Beach gives me the functionality I need. Which means I need to cross my fingers and hope all the ‘new’ issues are resolved... eek

edited...

I can’t argue MORE with your points. But for functionality I am forced down the T6.1 route. As only the Beach gives me the functionality I need. Which means I need to cross my fingers and hope all the ‘new’ issues are resolved... eek

edited...
I agree. With second hand Beaches being like hen's teeth, a T6-1 was your only choice. Finding a nearly new T6 Beach with your specific requirements would be impossible. I found this out in 2019 but was lucky enough to be just in time to order a new T6 Beach. Production closed four weeks later!

The good thing for us Beach owners is that it is a lot less complicated. That should translate into better long term ownership prospects.

edited...
I would say that the mini kitchen in the T6.1 Beach Camper is a pretty significant development in what was otherwise dead space in previous Beach vans.

It wouldn’t be enough of a reason in itself to change from a well specced T6 Beach, but it’s probably the biggest (non-engine/ aesthetics/ tech) development we’ve seen across the California range in recent years.

I would say that the mini kitchen in the T6.1 Beach Camper is a pretty significant development in what was otherwise dead space in previous Beach vans.

It wouldn’t be enough of a reason in itself to change from a well specced T6 Beach, but it’s probably the biggest (non-engine/ aesthetics/ tech) development we’ve seen across the California range in recent years.
Fair point. It's a great gadget which does look very nicely made and I agree it is probably the single biggest improvement in recent years. However when you actually look at that stove or the extra sliding door you get on the Tour version, the questions that come to mind are:

1. How useful is it ? and
2. Would I use it that much?

In my case, whilst I like the ingenious gadget like way this 007 stove pops up and tucks away, I can't see us using it that often, that is other than to amaze fellow travellers. We have always cooked and heated water outside firstly out of choice and secondly because it's safer. The same goes for the second slider. Yes it's nice but has only having one slider ever been an issue? Well no it hasn't.

Consequently, in my view neither new aditions are a game changer for us or I suspect many other Beach owners. In other words these new aditions don't for me represent a good enough reason to change to a T6-1.

Again only my view.

Fair point. It's a great gadget which does look very nicely made and I agree it is probably the single biggest improvement in recent years. However when you actually look at that stove or the extra sliding door you get on the Tour version, the questions that come to mind are:

1. How useful is it ? and
2. Would I use it that much?

In my case, whilst I like the ingenious gadget like way this 007 stove pops up and tucks away, I can't see us using it that often, that is other than to amaze fellow travellers. We have always cooked and heated water outside firstly out of choice and secondly because it's safer. The same goes for the second slider. Yes it's nice but has only having one slider ever been an issue? Well no it hasn't.

Consequently, in my view neither new aditions are a game changer for us or I suspect many other Beach owners. In other words these new aditions don't for me represent a good enough reason to change to a T6-1.

Again only my view.
Coming from an SE in our case, I think we would use the mini-cooker quite a lot and would otherwise miss having a ‘permanent’ cooker in a pre-T6.1 Beach.

That said, if I was in your position of having a well specced T6 Beach, I wouldn’t see enough changes to move to a T6.1 Beach

There is also the question of reliability? It's true that people usually only post about problems so the majority of T6-1 owners will probably be enjoying trouble free T6-1 ownership and long may that last. However, others haven't and judging by the number of issues being posted, the T6-1 is not without it's problems. By comparison a late end of line T6 should be well sorted and a good deal cheaper as well. Buy wisely and you'd be getting exactly the same experience with almost the same benefits and save a considerable amount in the process.

I would agree with the strategy to buy a model late in the production cycle.
In a past life I worked in the automotive supply manufacturing sector making part for the likes of Nissan, Toyota and Landrover. I can say two things, there is definitely a period of snagging with new designs and that there was at least in the 00’s a vast difference in supplier audit processes. Toyota were by far the most rigorous which shows still in there reliability.

@Phillip T i had a last of the line T4. It was bullet-proof, so reliable.
Then moved onto the T5, what a complete dog. So many issues.
T5.1 which was an updated T5 again really good apart from roof corrosion. I think the T6 is basically a slight addition to the 5.1.

The T6.1 is a massive overhaul with regards to the California habitation and info systems. I don’t trust Volkswagens build and reliability in these areas. Especially as the accounts will have had their say on matters.

Only time will tell.
But from long Volkswagen van ownership. I’m extremely hesitant moving into the T6.1 especially as the T7 is scheduled for next year....???

@Phillip T i had a last of the line T4. It was bullet-proof, so reliable.
Then moved onto the T5, what a complete dog. So many issues.
T5.1 which was an updated T5 again really good apart from roof corrosion. I think the T6 is basically a slight addition to the 5.1.

The T6.1 is a massive overhaul with regards to the California habitation and info systems. I don’t trust Volkswagens build and reliability in these areas. Especially as the accounts will have had their say on matters.

Only time will tell.
But from long Volkswagen van ownership. I’m extremely hesitant moving into the T6.1 especially as the T7 is scheduled for next year....???
From what I’m reading the 6.1 is here to stay for a few years yet and isn’t likely to change for another 3 or 4 years.

From what I’m reading the 6.1 is here to stay for a few years yet and isn’t likely to change for another 3 or 4 years.

T7 is due this year.
T6.1 feels like a bit of a test mule...

I would agree with the strategy to buy a model late in the production cycle.
In a past life I worked in the automotive supply manufacturing sector making part for the likes of Nissan, Toyota and Landrover. I can say two things, there is definitely a period of snagging with new designs and that there was at least in the 00’s a vast difference in supplier audit processes. Toyota were by far the most rigorous which shows still in there reliability.
That's always been my policy. In all of the new cars that I have purchased over the years the only time that I've bought one of the first cars of a new model it turned out to be a total PITA. That car was a VW Golf GT TDi Mk 1V . I had seen it at the Motor Show and just had to have one. So when the first of these models arrived at our local showroom I bought it and told the salesman to lock it and don't let anyone else touch it. On the very night of the day I collected it the trouble started. It rained heavily and the alarm went off. So I went out to check it. Once I was satisfied it was OK I went back to bed. Ten minutes later the same thing happened. Long story short, after numerous other alarms and nieghbours lights going on everywhere, the only way I could stop the ruddy thing was to spend the rest of the night in it. I was not impressed!

This issue wasn't restricted to my car either. The TV programme That's Life ran a feature on this issue with new golfs. VW's answer was that "we are aware of this issue and are developing a fix" or words to that effect. That issue took many months to resolve by which time I had fallen out of love with the wretched thing.

And that wasn't it's only problem. Nasty noises from the gearbox, only finally resolve the week before I sold it.

The moral of this story; Always buy with your head not your heart!

In contrast the majority of my other new cars have been end of line or well established examples. None have ever given any real trouble. For a long time I've held the view that manufacturers are only prepared to do so much RnD before commercial pressures compel them to go into production. So it is left to us unwitting punters to continue their RnD work.

Last edited:
Like some others I couldn't see any great improvement in a T6.1 over my T6, in fact more reasons not to.

Rumbling on issues with both the basic electronic Dash and the Cali only electronics.
Stripping back on DSG functions, Sport and Manual.
No footrest.
Possible loss of opening side windows.
Doors that can't be opened on frosty mornings from outside. Was a recall but latest info says this is on hold by VW.
Worry about RDE2 having issues especially with VW's track record on emissions.

That's always been my policy. In all of the new cars that I have purchased over the years the only time that I've bought one of the first cars of a new model it turned out to be a total PITA. That car was a VW Golf GT TDi Mk 1V . I had seen it at the Motor Show and just had to have one. So when the first of these models arrived at our local showroom I bought it and told the salesman to lock it and don't let anyone else touch it. On the very night of the day I collected it the trouble started. It rained heavily and the alarm went off. So I went out to check it. Once I was satisfied it was OK I went back to bed. Ten minutes later the same thing happened. Long story short, after numerous other alarms and nieghbours lights going on everywhere, the only way I could stop the ruddy thing was to spend the rest of the night in it. I was not impressed!

This issue wasn't restricted to my car either. The TV programme That's Life ran a feature on this issue with new golfs. VW's answer was that "we are aware of this issue and are developing a fix" or words to that effect. That issue took many months to resolve by which time I had fallen out of love with the wretched thing.

And that wasn't it's only problem. Nasty noises from the gearbox, only finally resolve the week before I sold it.

The moral of this story; Always buy with your head not your heart!

In contrast the majority of my other new cars have been end of line or well established examples. None have every given any real trouble. For a long time I've held the view that manufacturers are only prepared to do so much RnD before commercial pressures compel them to go into production. So it is left to us unwitting punters to continue their RnD work.

Yes, there is s time when you cannot test any further as its costly and there's a need to sell product to recoup the research costs and keep up with competitors.

When I looked at Campervan's, I would have preferred Japanese base van, not the PSA collaboration but all Japanese controlled and built. So with none available I ended up spending 3 year researching vans for a base vehicles and conversion options before being introduced to the California by a friend.
I am very pleased with my heads purchase so far, over the longer term make more sense for what we use it for and the quality is very good. The DSG could be better and yet to enjoy, I hope, the dealer experience.

Back