Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 vs T6.1

E

Eldoovis

Vehicle
T6 Cali On Order
Hi Guys n Gals
Any T6 ocean owners out there sold there T6 to upgrade to 6.1, or anyone considering the upgrade?
If so, please let us know what you like and what you dislike about the 6.1 and why you would change or why you would stay with your T6.

I was all for upgrading but not too sure again and was curious to hear other peoples thoughts as well.

Thanks

Hi Guys n Gals
Any T6 ocean owners out there sold there T6 to upgrade to 6.1, or anyone considering the upgrade?
If so, please let us know what you like and what you dislike about the 6.1 and why you would change or why you would stay with your T6.

I was all for upgrading but not too sure again and was curious to hear other peoples thoughts as well.

Thanks
What factors are leading you towards upgrading?

Not in favour of the move to more electronics incorporated into the 6.1.
Long term both parts availability and costs are also a concern.

Which seems to be backed up by problems in this area reported by both Cali and commercial van users.

No left foot rest.

Last edited:
What factors are leading you towards upgrading?
Can buy the new one at a great price. Plus there a few features i like such as the new bed springs, the tilting bed board, improved power steering, quiter smoother sliding door, and the chance to own a newer van.
But i dont like the front grill, the dark interior and the colour of the furniture.

Not in favour of the move to more electronics incorporated into the 6.1.
Long term both parts availability and costs are also a concern.

Which seems to be backed up by problems in this area reported by both Cali and commercial van users.

No left foot rest.
The lack of foot rest is a big disappointment and so is the small glove box. Never been in a T6 though just a T5.

I bought a pre-reg T6 Ocean last July, it was unused and ready - I am 100% happy with it, as it came with the spec I wanted (panoramic zip on bellows, shower, led headlights)

The only thing that I am missing is Adaptive Cruise Control and I would probably be happy with a larger dashboard for Carplay. I know I would enjoy playing with the electronic control panel.
All in all, that's not enough to make me even think to upgrade ...

The lack of foot rest is a big disappointment and so is the small glove box. Never been in a T6 though just a T5.
Some of the ‘improvements’ are clearly cost savings.
For me reliability and availability are most important. The dealers are mostly hopeless at fixing electrical faults in my experience. The VW habitation electronics don’t seem to have a good track record. If buying again I would minimise the electronics, so I’d get a T6 and probably opt for a manual roof, so probably a coast. I would not want the time bomb of an electronic VW dash either.

Yes - we have sold our T6 and are waiting for a T6.1 4Motion.

We did this for a few reasons;
1) getting a new van as our old one was approaching 3 years old
2) the new one works out cheaper monthly for us than the old one even though it is a better spec
3) the new upper bed springs and lower tilting bed/multi board thing
4) the ability to change / update our spec slightly
5) The lack of tambour doors rattling
6) a new colour scheme
7) we have learnt over time we wanted 4Motion.
7) we’d had quite a few issues with our T6 including an ominous roof creak above the drivers seat, which after inspection at the dealer was deemed to need a whole front roof section replacement under warranty. We felt our van would never be the same again after this.

We loved our T6 and there are absolutely things that we will miss. The T6 comfort dash was brilliant, the new T6.1 dash is horrible in comparison. The internal door trim on the T6.1 is awful in comparison to a T6 ocean. We preferred the cupboard colour/design on the T6. I’m not convinced the LED headlights on the T6.1 will be as good as the ones on the T6 either (By looking at them).

Still, it‘s all swings in roundabouts. We are looking forward to our T6.1, but not without a small tear in our eye for our old van.

Yep, we’ve also sold the T6 and are awaiting a 6.1. Fancied a change and wanted 4Motion but the main reason was the low cost to change/upgrade from a 3yr old van to a new one with 5yr warranty. There were also a few issues with the T6, most of which had been fixed, but some were ongoing and that I wasn’t comfortable with and may well have become a pain over the next few years. So all in all it made sense to take advantage of the really bouyant used market earlier this autumn which combined with the great deal offered on the new one meant the decision was an easy one. I was over ruled on the colour though; initially went with Ascot Grey for a change but have ended up with Indium Grey again; that’s no.3. Mrs KB was very unimpressed with the initial choice and the kids agreed, but I have to say having now seen Ascot in the flesh they were right. Agree with comments on the dash itself (although I like the modern instrumentation, integration and entertainment system) and the door cards in particular though; an improvement they are not.

Can buy the new one at a great price. Plus there a few features i like such as the new bed springs, the tilting bed board, improved power steering, quiter smoother sliding door, and the chance to own a newer van.
But i dont like the front grill, the dark interior and the colour of the furniture.
Agree about the colour of the furniture. It’s too dark and makes the interior too grey. We’ve just ordered a Coast with quite a few extras for that reason.

Having upgraded fromT5(2012) to T6 (2016), I have decided to hold onto our T6 a bit longer "my" reasons are due to the following factors.
  1. The cost of upgrading to a new van.
  2. The underuse of about 10k miles on the current van this year due to lockdown.
  3. The seeming high issues report on the forum of issues with new Ocean electronic control panels functioning reported.
  4. The move to electric-powered transport and where that goes in the campervan development in the next few years. (I want 250-mile range)
  5. Interested to see how the Beach camper pans out.
  6. Happy with our current van.
Interestingly I did not like the front end view of T6.1 on paper but in the flesh I rather like it.

I was surprised to see this. On a DSG equipped vehicle especially I think this is an absolute necessity. Looking at pics online it appears the LHD variant gets one but the RHD doesn't. A little relieved now I've ordered LHD.

Hi Guys n Gals

Thanks

Like the new updated dash in the T6.1 and the back upright backrest but its not really enough to justify an upgrade. In my oppinion anyway.

Different if youve not got one or have an older Cali / campervan.

I opted for a high spec T6 over a new T6.1 as my first Cali despite the saving on T6 v T6.1 being minimal.

I certainly have no regrets.

As a few months have passed. I’m interested to hear from anyone who has moved from T6 to T6.1...?

It’s something we are considering, but I have reservations.
Currently, our T6 has been super reliable.
However, looking at replacing the current T6 as a long term move.
Most notably I’m concerned the platform may go electric. Some may say great, but I’m not one of them.

Reservations:
Styling- still not a fan of that front end. It’s the ugliest front end since the original T5
Dash- looks like Volkswagen have made it less complete
Control Module - the updated version looks nicer, but I’m concerned about the reliability.
Cruise Control - it’s now adaptive and I much prefer standard cruise

So there my reservations and not forgetting cost. 4motion Ocean with the tricks is gonna be near £80k.
I wonder wether at that price it makes more sense to go for a bigger van. I think Volkswagen latest pricing structure has gone totally bonkers. It’s no longer similar pricing to expensive German cars but well in excess of...

I must add.
Another thing which sticks in my mind.
From experience of Volkswagen and California’s since 2012. The network have no idea about the product.
Ive had better information from this forum and fault finding myself.

So going forward, I’m concerned about Volkswagens ability to look after the complexity of a California.

I’m not convinced it is an upgrade. Some of the changes are clearly cost savings.

Yes.
I’ve seen this over the last 20 years of Volkswagen ownership. It’s something which I have in the back of my mind.
The T4 I owned was absolutely solid.

As a few months have passed. I’m interested to hear from anyone who has moved from T6 to T6.1...?

It’s something we are considering, but I have reservations.
Currently, our T6 has been super reliable.
However, looking at replacing the current T6 as a long term move.
Most notably I’m concerned the platform may go electric. Some may say great, but I’m not one of them.

Reservations:
Styling- still not a fan of that front end. It’s the ugliest front end since the original T5
Dash- looks like Volkswagen have made it less complete
Control Module - the updated version looks nicer, but I’m concerned about the reliability.
Cruise Control - it’s now adaptive and I much prefer standard cruise

So there my reservations and not forgetting cost. 4motion Ocean with the tricks is gonna be near £80k.
I wonder wether at that price it makes more sense to go for a bigger van. I think Volkswagen latest pricing structure has gone totally bonkers. It’s no longer similar pricing to expensive German cars but well in excess of...
I’m in the same position just can’t make the final decision. I would be going from T5.1 toT6.1

I want:
Auto box - due to knee problems
LED lights
Love the new digital dash board
New upper bed springs
Lights in the camping area
Panoramic front to bellows
Reclining lower bed
Cheaper to drive into London
Just be nice to have a new van after nearly 7 years of current one

What’s stopping me:
Don’t like ad blue etc
Current roof has zero corrosion
What appear to be control panel teething problems
Those front door cards!
Don’t want acc. Prefer simple cruise.
No wheels I like available - will probably get my current Dakar ones refurbed & use them

The main driver is the auto box. If I get that I will get rid of my merc and go back to the Cali being my main vehicle. I’ve got knee problems & crawling through London with a manual is a nightmare for me. Driving to Spain is fine as is general driving around, but hours of clutch pumping to do so few miles kills me.

Last edited:
@andyinluton i wasn’t sure about the DSG box to begin with.
However, it’s won me over. I think it’s brilliant. Has a few annoyances, but overall it’s worth having.

I must add. Ticking the 204 or 199, whatever it is now. I would also spec 4motion.
One of the quirks the DSG has with my 2wd van, is pulling away. There’s almost to much power. I often have the wheels spinning, especially in damp conditions and also find there’s less traction off road compared to a manual gearbox
Some may say that nonsense. But you definitely have more control off-road and slippery surfaces with a manual gearbox.
Hence, why going forward it could only be 4 motion for me.

@andyinluton i wasn’t sure about the DSG box to begin with.
However, it’s won me over. I think it’s brilliant. Has a few annoyances, but overall it’s worth having.

I must add. Ticking the 204 or 199, whatever it is now. I would also spec 4motion.
One of the quirks the DSG has with my 2wd van, is pulling away. There’s almost to much power. I often have the wheels spinning, especially in damp conditions and also find there’s less traction off road compared to a manual gearbox
Some may say that nonsense. But you definitely have more control off-road and slippery surfaces with a manual gearbox.
Hence, why going forward it could only be 4 motion for me.
I’m a bit concerned about the dsg mainly as i’ve always driven manuals. One thing in particular is low speed control and specifically not looking forward to the first time I have to climb level ups I.e. applying too much power and going right over the top! Hoping my concerns are unfounded but time will tell.

4 motion is a different complication.
I don’t know if I will still need 5 seats this summer or not.
Spec is either fully loaded 150 with extra floor rail or fully loaded 204 4 motion.

Similar thought process and made the decision to change. 4Mo was a strong driver, as was the bouyant 2nd hand market and good discounts available on 6.1 (albeit with a wait, winter/lockdown helped offset though). Also had a few issues with the T6. So we are awaiting delivery hopefully in Apr. Intent is to reset with a new van, full 5yr warranty etc. that will be a keeper, at least until the kids fly the nest, when we may be ready to refocus away from camping a little toward comfort with a larger van. I don’t expect a massive epiphany with the 6.1 though, and agree that not everything is progress for the better.

I’m a bit concerned about the dsg mainly as i’ve always driven manuals. One thing in particular is low speed control and specifically not looking forward to the first time I have to climb level ups I.e. applying too much power and going right over the top! Hoping my concerns are unfounded but time will tell.

I prefer driving a manual, but am at that point where I admit defeat, years of skiing and older age are catching up on my knees.

You’ll not need the 80k mentioned though; I’m all in for well under 65k.

Back