Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 Daylight running light modification

K

Kingpin

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
My bulb failure light came on the dash and upon checking found the R/H Daylight running light not working. Thought it must be the bulb and when I eventually got it out ,it was fine. The problem was the contacts on the bulb holder had become blackened and slightly pitted. They weren't copper or brass as you would expect but steel with a very thin plating on them which I cleaned and then refitted, and it worked. A week later, same problem, so because getting the bulb holder in and out is quite tricky and I don't want to keep doing I ordered a new holder. Went to collect it and and it was different to the original, so queried it and was told this is a modified replacement, the difference being that it no longer had contacts but 2 wires taking the power directly to the bulb. Fitting does involve cutting the wires to the original bulb holder baseplate and splicing the new ones in. This is more easily done with the air filter box removed as there is not much space and cutting.the existing wires as far into the lamp as possible so they are longer and this makes it easier to work on them. Glad to say all working now. Cost of replacement part £25.00 and it seems only available at dealers.
Has anyone successfully fitted led bulbs to the DLR's these would reduce the current flow through the contacts, IMG_20201214_121425584.jpg but I believe you can have problems with the bulb failure warning lamp?
P.S. modified bulb holder on right.

Hi Kingpin,
Did you need to remove the bumper to get in to the existing wires on the base plate for soldering onto the new holder wires? I've found the same issue with the DRL holder and read on a T6 forum it was only possible by removing the base plate. When i removed the DRL it was very difficult to see where it was actually going and i couldn't see the base plate.
My bulb failure light came on the dash and upon checking found the R/H Daylight running light not working. Thought it must be the bulb and when I eventually got it out ,it was fine. The problem was the contacts on the bulb holder had become blackened and slightly pitted. They weren't copper or brass as you would expect but steel with a very thin plating on them which I cleaned and then refitted, and it worked. A week later, same problem, so because getting the bulb holder in and out is quite tricky and I don't want to keep doing I ordered a new holder. Went to collect it and and it was different to the original, so queried it and was told this is a modified replacement, the difference being that it no longer had contacts but 2 wires taking the power directly to the bulb. Fitting does involve cutting the wires to the original bulb holder baseplate and splicing the new ones in. This is more easily done with the air filter box removed as there is not much space and cutting.the existing wires as far into the lamp as possible so they are longer and this makes it easier to work on them. Glad to say all working now. Cost of replacement part £25.00 and it seems only available at dealers.
Has anyone successfully fitted led bulbs to the DLR's these would reduce the current flow through the contacts, View attachment 70704 but I believe you can have problems with the bulb failure warning lamp?
P.S. modified bulb holder on right.

Hi Kingpin,
Did you need to remove the bumper to get in to the existing wires on the base plate for soldering onto the new holder wires? I've found the same issue with the DRL holder and read on a T6 forum it was only possible by removing the base plate. When i removed the DRL it was very difficult to see where it was actually going and i couldn't see the base plate.
I didn't have to remove bumper, but it is a fiddly job. From memory there are a couple of black wires you can see when you take the cover off at the rear of lamp unit. These wires go to base of light unit and the DRL bulb holder contacts. I used a multi meter to confirm they are.correct ones. With ignition off cut wires as near to bulb holder so there is maximum length available to make joint. Bare wires and solder onto replacement bulb holder, then insulate with tape .Refit bulb holder and you should be fixed.
It's been almost three years since I did mine and have seen little on the forum about this problem , but it seems to be getting more common now.

I see a lot of T6's on the road with a DRL not working, mine included!

Is this for the H7 headlamps or H4?

I put LED bulbs in my T6 about 6 years ago and still OK Can't recall brand - Ebay sourced.
Only LED bulbs that didn't have any issues, flickering or bulb warning.

Reversing light ones - one gives a flicker, same with the replacements but haven't gone to length of fitting resistors.
Not found ones that work in indicators other than the reversing bulbs but no use as white. Flash rate OK but bulb failure on dash panel.