Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 California Ocean parcel shelf conversion

Calimili

Calimili

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Purpose of this is to speed up packing up time when leaving a site and increase the living space inside the van, in particular being able to access the wardrobe next to the fridge.
Even though it is just two of us, and we always sleep upstairs, I wanted to keep the option, in case of really adverse weather, to be able to sleep downstairs anyway.
Therefore I’ve built a shorter parcel shelf with actually two shelves: the bottom one 50cm deep with 40cm space underneath and the top one 40 cm deep and with 23.5cm space underneath. I’ve spaced the vertical “walls“ in order for my outdoor stove to fit, two decathlon scooters, ground sheets for the awning etc. so that everything has got its place instead of piling one thing on top of the other.
Right at the top I have 48 cm left to the “airplane locker”, in order to fit my 5cm thick outdoor table and a big Samla box from ikea 60x40x42 high.
The top shelf can be placed tilted 90 degrees next to the kitchen unit to form a 1.95m long bed. There will be the pillows on top of this, while for the lower legs, on top of the bottom 50cm parcel shelf I’ve bought a 2cm thick folding foam mattress from decathlon which is 55cm x 180. This will be cut in two and the two pieces placed side by side on top of the 50cm bottom shelf.
This solution allows me to slide the bench 30 cm further towards the back, giving me therefore full and easy access to the wardrobe next to the fridge.
It was 20 euros worth of mdf, and 25eur of hardware and screws.
It is about 15kg heavy, but I saved 8kg removing the original metal shelf plus mattress, so net addition it is just 7kg. I could have cut some holes to save a bit mit more weight, up to 1kg, but I may add hooks, elastic bands, maybe a usb plug or pure sine Inverter, I’ll have to see.
Please go ahead with comments, including negative if constructive, or suggestions.
F1FA5263-CAF1-45AF-8C87-30735B571B43.jpeg93354CCF-250F-4A15-A67F-A366F61D8045.jpeg89A9907C-B59E-4A1B-86CE-29E34A310712.jpeg

Your wardrobe shelves look great .. In fact, what a good job you have done with all of your mods in the pics here .. you have obviously thought about the issues and executed a very creative solution.

You’ve made a nice job of that. Those extra inches in the living area will make all the difference.

Hi,
looks great - where did you find the shelf supports?

That’s really inventive Calimili. I’ve never seen anything like that before. Using the wardrobe as you do, it’s a really good adjustment.

That’s really inventive Calimili. I’ve never seen anything like that before. Using the wardrobe as you do, it’s a really good adjustment.
I use packing cubes and they fit perfectly on the shelves. easy access and full utilisation of the available space.
I will replace the 10mm mdf with 6mm plywood, it will save almost 2kg in total. And the space between shelves increased by 4mm.

Back