Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 Cali Cruise Control Retrofit - Coding

V

ViceGripKev

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199 4 motion
So I’ve eventually got round to finishing retrofitting cruise control to my T6 Cali. I’m new to VCDS and unfortunately I’ve hit a problem when I went to try and do the coding. When I go to engine 01 module and then long coding helper, it comes up with an error, ”Sorry, no coding information is available for this ECU”.

For any VCDS gurus out there, am I right in thinking the VCDS cant read the coding in my ECU and therefore I’m stuffed getting my cruise control working?? I am just waiting for my account to be approved on the VCDS Ross Tech forum and I’ll post on there.

When you connected the vcds, how did you configure your vehicle spec? i.e. did you move through the various pull down lists or did you let vcds select the vehicle itself?

I just use the auto scan function and then go to which ever module needs coding. I have had a look in the adaption menu to see if there is a tick box to enable it, but haven’t found one for the cruise control system.

OK. What year is yours? Mine is March 2017 Ocean and DSG 150 but not 4WD and has cruise control from factory. Are you using the latest version of vcds V21.3?

Have you looked online to find vcds instructions for the enablement? I have found this

From experience the RossTech forum does work. If something is missing or not available, then they might be prepared to enable the functionality in a later version. Use the RossTech support tools to make this request.

I can plug my vcds in to my Ocean on Friday and see what appears if this will help.

So I’ve eventually got round to finishing retrofitting cruise control to my T6 Cali. I’m new to VCDS and unfortunately I’ve hit a problem when I went to try and do the coding. When I go to engine 01 module and then long coding helper, it comes up with an error, ”Sorry, no coding information is available for this ECU”.

For any VCDS gurus out there, am I right in thinking the VCDS cant read the coding in my ECU and therefore I’m stuffed getting my cruise control working?? I am just waiting for my account to be approved on the VCDS Ross Tech forum and I’ll post on there.
Did you buy a genuine cable as there are a lot of fakes for sell.

OK. What year is yours? Mine is March 2017 Ocean and DSG 150 but not 4WD and has cruise control from factory. Are you using the latest version of vcds V21.3?

Have you looked online to find vcds instructions for the enablement? I have found this

From experience the RossTech forum does work. If something is missing or not available, then they might be prepared to enable the functionality in a later version. Use the RossTech support tools to make this request.

I can plug my vcds in to my Ocean on Friday and see what appears if this will help.
Mine is a 2019 and I updated the VCDS software to V21.3 before starting yesterday. I have searched online and found the same video as well as others, but I cant access the “login-11” as it’s greyed out. I then click the box for ”coding-7” and then long coding helper.

I am still waiting on my Ross Tech forum account to be approved.

Mine is a 2019 and I updated the VCDS software to V21.3 before starting yesterday. I have searched online and found the same video as well as others, but I cant access the “login-11” as it’s greyed out. I then click the box for ”coding-7” and then long coding helper.

I am still waiting on my Ross Tech forum account to be approved.
I'll have a look on mine tomorrow and let you know what I find.

I mentioned that I had used the RossTech support, this was on my wife's Audi A1.

The Audi was not recognised because it is not available in the USA, and was only 6 months old. They got me to send them some diagnostic files, and around 2 months later they advised the functionality was provided in the new version....it did work.

Just to update the outcome. After a bit of YouTubing to try and understand long coding, still don’t understand it and some help from the Ross Tech forum, I have success.

I changed byte 5 from 06 to 26 in the engine module 01, which it accepted and also changed byte 17 bit 7 in central electrics 09, but I couldn’t get it to work. I was advised to try the advance measuring values in central electrics 09 and check the inputs from the CCS switches on the stalk - no response. I then back tracked the install and found the inline fuse not fully seated in the holder, so wasn’t getting any power. I quick push on the fuse, a test drive and all is good and working.

Well chuffed!

Thanks everyone for your help

Hi, sorry to jump on , I had a previous post where I mentioned I had a after market cruise control fitted from the dealer I purchased my Beach from. After I had a VW towbar fitted the cruise control hasn't worked, is this the way forward to get it working again?
If so , forgive my ignorance but how would one go about it?

Hi, sorry to jump on , I had a previous post where I mentioned I had a after market cruise control fitted from the dealer I purchased my Beach from. After I had a VW towbar fitted the cruise control hasn't worked, is this the way forward to get it working again?
If so , forgive my ignorance but how would one go about it?
I suspect that when taking it in to VW they have done an software upgrade against the original (Pre retro install) configuration. This has the effect of wiping any subsequent software coding that you have applied.

This happens to me every time I take my Cali in to VW for servicing etc. on my retro fitted genuine VW rear view camera. I then have to use VCDS diagnostics to re-enable the camera.

I bought a VCDS because it happens regularly and it was costing me £40 each time to remedy.

Thanks Alan

Is there a recommended VCDS to buy? My issue is finding somewhere local to reactivate it

Thanks Alan

Is there a recommended VCDS to buy? My issue is finding somewhere local to reactivate it
Ross Tech are the people. The software is a free download, I believe, but you need a genuine lead to activate it and a licence for more than 1 vehicle.
Nothing against this Forum but there are many more members on the T6 Forum that carry out retrofits such as cruise control and coding with VCDS. Some members with the software are happy to help Forum members.

Thanks WelshGas I will check it out

There is a VCDS forum as well

Ross Tech are the people. The software is a free download, I believe, but you need a genuine lead to activate it and a licence for more than 1 vehicle.
Nothing against this Forum but there are many more members on the T6 Forum that carry out retrofits such as cruise control and coding with VCDS. Some members with the software are happy to help Forum members.

Yes Ross-Tech is the manufacturer and the provider of updates and support.

I bought mine from Gendan online. I opted for the VCDS Hex-V2 professional package, as we have other VW and Audi in the family. The unit will run diagnostics on the complete range of VW group vehicles, and I receive regular updates automatically. It just needs a laptop to run the vcds software and for you to interact with it using the USB cable provided.

I was made aware of VCDS by the guy who retrofitted the VW OEM rear view camera

As I said first time around I did pay £40 to have the coding done. But when it was obvious that this will be a recurring issue, I chose to buy my own.

Once you have used it a little while you do get the confidence to make other coding changes to enhance functionality in the van.

The technicians at VW van centre highly rate it above the equipment that VW supply them. They say that vcds is much more capable.

If you were closer I'd offer to do this for you, Although we will be visiting Margate in the summer to see family - if that is any good for you.

Last edited:

I bought mine from Gendan online. I opted for the VCDS Hex-V2 professional package, as we have other VW and Audi in the family. The unit will run diagnostics on the complete range of VW group vehicles, and I receive regular updates automatically. It just needs a laptop to run the vcds software and for you to interact with it using the USB cable provided.

As I said first time around I did pay £40 to have the coding done. But when it was obvious that this will be a recurring issue, I chose to buy my own.

Once you have used it a little while you do get the confidence to make other coding changes to enhance functionality in the van.

The technicians at VW van centre highly rate it above the equipment that VW supply them. They say that vcds is much more capable.

If you were closer I'd offer to do this for you, Although we will be visiting Margate in the summer to see family - if that is any good for you.
Couldn't agree more @Alan Andrews , I've been using VCDS (was known as Vagcom) for many years now and although I'm no expert it has been very useful on various VAG models for family and friends.

Morning Alan

That is very kind of you thank you but I wouldn't want to impose but I am grateful of the offer

I have been looking on Gendan and wondered if this would suit as I only have the Beach and my wife a BMW so assume I only need 1 VIN?

https://www.gendan.co.uk/product_VCV23B.html ?

Morning Alan

That is very kind of you thank you but I wouldn't want to impose but I am grateful of the offer

I have been looking on Gendan and wondered if this would suit as I only have the Beach and my wife a BMW so assume I only need 1 VIN?

https://www.gendan.co.uk/product_VCV23B.html ?
Yes. Is 3 VIN so will accommodate a couple of changes of vehicle.

I reckoned that a few uses it would pay for itself.

I did have to pay £40 to have the VW rear view camera re-enabled. It is also the convenience of being able to do it yourself. You'll also be able to play with enabling/disabling other functionality, plus be able to interrogate for any error codes.....useful if you have an issue and need to explain to VW or mechanic.

There is so much available online about these tweaks and functionality.

Cheers Alan , I am going to order one , await my next post where I am asking for help after breaking my van and having to reverse everywhere

Cheers Alan , I am going to order one , await my next post where I am asking for help after breaking my van and having to reverse everywhere
Would you be better off to order the Hex-Net just to future proof for more modern models. @Loz would be the person to ask.

Back