Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 and a Tiny Caravan...

First weekend with our new Eriba 430, bought privately last week; tows effortlessly and works so well with the Cali. Not having had a caravan before, some of the similarities made the set up easier. On board bathroom a big plus. We were going to the Alps in September, now taking them both to Dorset and West Wales instead.

View attachment 63925
Very nice :)

We have an Eriba 530 60th Edition (white and silver) on order from ALV in Cumbria. We have opted for the rear dinette option, so the bed needs to be made at night but then more room to relax during the day. Hopefully it will be here September / October, fingers crossed....

ERIBA-Touring-60-Edition.jpg

We have an Eriba 530 60th Edition (white and silver) on order from ALV in Cumbria. We have opted for the rear dinette option, so the bed needs to be made at night but then more room to relax during the day. Hopefully it will be here September / October, fingers crossed....

View attachment 63928
We bought a 2015 Troll 530. The bed can be left made up if you can eat outside.

The only issue I have had is the pop top roof does not extend to over the rear bed. I have yet to learn to duck when leaning over to access the top rear cupboards...ouch!
Alan

View attachment 63928
We are on our third Eriba, 430, 530 and now 550 all have had the rear dinette, gives you more options when away, can make the bed up and leave or fold away if more space required. In Scottish Highlands at the moment Glencoe (with no California) seating folded away lots of space, good job as been raining all day!

View attachment 63928
Nice. So you getting another cali? 6.1? Dont forget the towbar

Sorry no. After the amount of grief we had to go through rejecting our Cali, we have decided not to give VW any more money. Bought an Nissan Navara for work, so that will be our tow vehicle.
Still hope you get out and about soon mate. Once your in a field on a sunny evening g with a cold beer in hand you will know it's right for you. I know friends with an eriba and they live it. They reckon the eriba meets are bigger wilder booze ups than the vw ones. !!!!

Evening all,

We are considering purchasing a caravan that will be pulled by our T6.

In terms of what we'd use it for (in order of importance)...
  1. Having a toilet on board for those night time visits (I'm OK running across the grass at 3am to the nearest toilet block on-site but my Mrs is, shall we say, somewhat less keen on doing that).
  2. Having the extra sleeping space in case one of our older sons decides to come along
  3. Making use of the extra living space through the day (rather than using an awning)
We have an awning, portable loo and a little popup tent thingy to put it in and we'd use this for very short trips but we fancy the idea of a caravan for those longer trips.

In terms of some requirements for the caravan, there are only 3 really...
  • It has to be tiny
  • It has to have an onboard loo (a washroom with a loo is perfect)
  • If possible, it has to look cool (to me)
I've shortlisted listed a few that both the Mrs and I like...
  • ERIBA Troll 530 Rockabilly - Awesome looking (its colour scheme matches our white over red Cali); not exactly "tiny" but still quite small; expensive.
  • Barefoot - Tiny, looks great but very expensive
  • Freedom Jetstream Twin Sport - Tiny and modern but more like a mini version of a traditional-looking caravan; cheap when compared to the other two above.
So, my questions for you all are...
  1. Has anyone got any experience with any of the caravans above? (I'm especially interested if anyone tows one of these with their California)
  2. Has anyone got any more recommendations worth looking at that meet our requirements?
Also, I've been driving a very long time but I've never actually towed anything and as such, I'm perhaps a little anxious about towing a ton of steel and plastic around hanging off the back of my Cali; what advice might you give to a "towing newbie" and specifically as it relates to towing with a Cali, any particular "gotchas" I should know about?

Finally, as a towing vehicle, how well does the T6 do when towing a caravan?

Thanks,

Red.
You might also consider the continental “Kip Compact”.

Great to see so many with Calis and a caravan. We have a small T@B 400 (modern teardrop caravan with facilities - perfect for 2) that is just too small for the family. We’re awaiting a Cali to make this more useable for us all (4 plus dog) and have been concerned what campsites may make of two dwellings.

I have to say when we got the T@B, it was a toss up between that and the Eriba. We’ve been delighted with it, it always gets positive comments whenever we’re away.

How about the Beauer 3x?

Are they still in production?

The UK agent that they appointed no longer deals in them I was going up to have a look at one but £35k for something with a lot to go wrong with it seemed a challenge :)

Are they still in production?

The UK agent that they appointed no longer deals in them I was going up to have a look at one but £35k for something with a lot to go wrong with it seemed a challenge :)
Very true. The UK dealer said to contact the French manufacturer so I suppose they are.

We bought a 2015 Troll 530. The bed can be left made up if you can eat outside.

The only issue I have had is the pop top roof does not extend to over the rear bed. I have yet to learn to duck when leaning over to access the top rear cupboards...ouch!
Alan

We’ve previously owned a Troll 530 and frequently experienced an Eriba kiss!!! Fortunately, by the time we had moved onto a 550 we rarely hit our heads

I have seen some owners temporarily attach pipe insulation till they get used to the layout.

View attachment 63928
Just had a call to say it's arrived early!!!. So we are off up to Cumbria this weekend to check it out before arranged collection at the end of August....

Back