Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 and a Tiny Caravan...

After researching a bunch of caravans, I'm leaning towards one similar to yours @GrannyJen; one from the "ERIBA Touring 60 Edition" range; Adventure Leisure Vehicles do these with their own special "Adventure" pack which adds a lot of extra's (including the mover thingy) for a good price.

Thanks all for the advice/help - very helpful ;)
We have owned an Eriba 430, 530 and now a 550, think a 430 would be a good choice for your requirements, slightly narrower than the Trolls (530, 550 etc) and slightly smaller in length. We think the Eribas are brilliant. Waiting for our first California (hopefully arrive for the summer holidays). Short breaks in the California 1-2 nights, longer breaks with the Eriba. Also means no larger caravan required now we have the California, son can sleep in time in the Cali and we in the Eriba - with our own en-suite :)

That’s where I’ve bought mine from. I was looking at the Eriba 60 Touring Range. Ended up with something slightly different that they had in stock as it had the extra’s I wanted.
That's great! So you'd recommend them as a good dealer for the Eriba caravans then I assume?

With lockdown easing a little more next week, we are hoping to perhaps take a little road-trip up there to see a few in the flesh before making a decision; they seem to carry quite a few of the Eriba's in stock.

We have owned an Eriba 430, 530 and now a 550, think a 430 would be a good choice for your requirements, slightly narrower than the Trolls (530, 550 etc) and slightly smaller in length. We think the Eribas are brilliant. Waiting for our first California (hopefully arrive for the summer holidays). Short breaks in the California 1-2 nights, longer breaks with the Eriba. Also means no larger caravan required now we have the California, son can sleep in time in the Cali and we in the Eriba - with our own en-suite :)
Nice!! Good to hear a few people saying good things about the Eriba's; for me, the big thing with these is their size (quite small) and their looks; they look very different to the "typical" caravan and in fact, they look quite cool (to me at least). They have a very retro feel to them which I think will work well with my Cali.

That's great! So you'd recommend them as a good dealer for the Eriba caravans then I assume?

With lockdown easing a little more next week, we are hoping to perhaps take a little road-trip up there to see a few in the flesh before making a decision; they seem to carry quite a few of the Eriba's in stock.
They are the are the nearest stockist for me - so can’t comment either way as not seen anywhere else. Hopefully can give a good report in a few weeks (fingers crossed, not months) when I get to pick it up...

@AlisonF - Well good luck; I'm sure all will go smoothly and you will be out and about in your Cali/Eriba combo soon enough :thumb

Last edited:
Nice!! Good to hear a few people saying good things about the Eriba's; for me, the big thing with these is their size (quite small) and their looks; they look very different to the "typical" caravan and in fact, they look quite cool (to me at least). They have a very retro feel to them which I think will work well with my Cali.
Very cool we think, European Airstream, always bring a smile to people when we are towing or on a campsite. Well put together for a caravan and hold their prices fairly well as well.

Evening all,

We are considering purchasing a caravan that will be pulled by our T6.

In terms of what we'd use it for (in order of importance)...
  1. Having a toilet on board for those night time visits (I'm OK running across the grass at 3am to the nearest toilet block on-site but my Mrs is, shall we say, somewhat less keen on doing that).
  2. Having the extra sleeping space in case one of our older sons decides to come along
  3. Making use of the extra living space through the day (rather than using an awning)
We have an awning, portable loo and a little popup tent thingy to put it in and we'd use this for very short trips but we fancy the idea of a caravan for those longer trips.

In terms of some requirements for the caravan, there are only 3 really...
  • It has to be tiny
  • It has to have an onboard loo (a washroom with a loo is perfect)
  • If possible, it has to look cool (to me)
I've shortlisted listed a few that both the Mrs and I like...
  • ERIBA Troll 530 Rockabilly - Awesome looking (its colour scheme matches our white over red Cali); not exactly "tiny" but still quite small; expensive.
  • Barefoot - Tiny, looks great but very expensive
  • Freedom Jetstream Twin Sport - Tiny and modern but more like a mini version of a traditional-looking caravan; cheap when compared to the other two above.
So, my questions for you all are...
  1. Has anyone got any experience with any of the caravans above? (I'm especially interested if anyone tows one of these with their California)
  2. Has anyone got any more recommendations worth looking at that meet our requirements?
Also, I've been driving a very long time but I've never actually towed anything and as such, I'm perhaps a little anxious about towing a ton of steel and plastic around hanging off the back of my Cali; what advice might you give to a "towing newbie" and specifically as it relates to towing with a Cali, any particular "gotchas" I should know about?

Finally, as a towing vehicle, how well does the T6 do when towing a caravan?

Thanks,

Red.
Have commented on a similar thread and tbh I dont get this at all. You either have a Cali as it is car like to drive, can if you so choose be a daily driver, cheap on tolls and ferries, can be parked in car parks with 2m barriers but it comes with compromises. BUT a big white and caravans have different challenges and are equally compromised. To me a Cali and a small van is a weird set up. You've all the disadvantages of a cali with the disadvantages of towing a caravan. To reiterate what was said by another poster you may as well tow with a better tow car and have an all singing caravan with the comforts. Are you really proposing sleeping in the Cali then getting up in the night to go to your caravan for the loo? Or sleep in the caravan and use the Cali as a day van? I am genuinely interested in the logic of the setup so please no offence intended. Each to their own as they say. Happy and safe travels

I speak as someone who has had big A class motorhomes, x250 based conversions, several caravans from big twin to single hymer. All are a compromise but the back to basics and flexibility of the Cali is hard to beat and for the record mine isn't a daily driver... I dare say I will change to something different as and when it suits.

Perhaps I could offer my view as someone with a 6.1 Coast and also looking at an Eriba; flexibility and convenience are factors for us. Van is a daily drive and nights out for me, the Eriba is for longer trips especially if my wife comes as well. We like the bed and loo in the Eriba, we plan to live in that and use the van to go off and explore. And I like the look of the Eriba behind my Cali. Thought about a GC or Sven Hedin, but I like my van.

Have commented on a similar thread and tbh I dont get this at all. You either have a Cali as it is car like to drive, can if you so choose be a daily driver, cheap on tolls and ferries, can be parked in car parks with 2m barriers but it comes with compromises. BUT a big white and caravans have different challenges and are equally compromised. To me a Cali and a small van is a weird set up. You've all the disadvantages of a cali with the disadvantages of towing a caravan. To reiterate what was said by another poster you may as well tow with a better tow car and have an all singing caravan with the comforts. Are you really proposing sleeping in the Cali then getting up in the night to go to your caravan for the loo? Or sleep in the caravan and use the Cali as a day van? I am genuinely interested in the logic of the setup so please no offence intended. Each to their own as they say. Happy and safe travels

I speak as someone who has had big A class motorhomes, x250 based conversions, several caravans from big twin to single hymer. All are a compromise but the back to basics and flexibility of the Cali is hard to beat and for the record mine isn't a daily driver... I dare say I will change to something different as and when it suits.
What do you reckon the longest road-train allowed is?
Estate car, towing a Cali, towing a caravan, with a motorbike on the back..oh, trailer as well for garden shed?
Someone on here will know the rules I reckon.....and I do understand the logic given of Cali and Eriba, makes sense but is still a bit.....funny/amusing?

We have an Eriba at the moment and ordered a California. For us in time it will mean our son can sleep in the California (his own space) and us in the Eriba. Will go away for short breaks (one or two nights) in the California and longer breaks with the Eriba. My wife is a keen runner so having a wash area in the Eriba (very small mind you) with hot water is helpful. We also like day trips out walking so the California will be a bonus, can relax after the walk and not need to rush straight back home. But as you say each to their own.

Evening all,

1. Having a toilet on board for those night time visits (I'm OK running across the grass at 3am to the nearest toilet block on-site but my Mrs is, shall we say, somewhat less keen on doing that).
  2. Having the extra sleeping space in case one of our older sons decides to come along
  3. Making use of the extra living space through the day (rather than using an awning)
We have an awning, portable loo and a little popup tent thingy to put it in and we'd use this for very short trips but we fancy the idea of a caravan for those longer trips.

• It has to be tiny
  • ERIBA Troll 530 Rockabilly - Awesome looking (its colour scheme matches our white over red Cali); not exactly "tiny" but still quite small; expensive.
  • Freedom Jetstream Twin Sport - Tiny and modern but more like a mini version of a traditional-looking caravan; cheap when compared to the other two above.
  1. Has anyone got any experience with any of the caravans above? (I'm especially interested if anyone tows one of these with their California)
  2. Has anyone got any more recommendations worth looking at that meet our requirements?
Also, I've been driving a very long time but I've never actually towed anything and as such, I'm perhaps a little anxious about towing a ton of steel and plastic around hanging off the back of my Cali; what advice might you give to a "towing newbie" and specifically as it relates to towing with a Cali, any particular "gotchas" I should know about?

Thanks,

Red.
Same thoughts last year and so got a pennine pathfinder. Perfect. Easy to store,. Cosy, easy to tow, toilet and really comfy beds. Love it and love towing it with the Cali beach. Still have away weekends in the vw but the comfort and space of the Pennine Pathfinder is awesome.

Evening all,

• It has to be tiny

Thanks,

Red.
hi
we tow a large 7 metre single axle caravan with our 150bhp T 6,, dsg ,,,,,,,,,one of the best tow cars we have ever had.
got the idea from the Germans who use vw vans extensively for towing.
off to Spain with calli and caravan as soon as regulations permit.
with the caravan we have the best of both worlds....... a comfortable home from home and the cali for exploring, beach parking, picnics etc
the Eriba van is the best quality ......made by Hymer but as they are steel-framed they can be quite heavy for their size
the upside is that Eriba caravans hold their price well and are much sought after at reasonable prices

Ah yes! Thank you.
never encountered that problem on c c club sites and I have stayed
on several over the years sleeping in the calli while my wife and sister in law sleep in the caravan

hi
we tow a large 7 metre single axle caravan with our 150bhp T 6,, dsg ,,,,,,,,,one of the best tow cars we have ever had.
got the idea from the Germans who use vw vans extensively for towing.
off to Spain with calli and caravan as soon as regulations permit.
with the caravan we have the best of both worlds....... a comfortable home from home and the cali for exploring, beach parking, picnics etc
the Eriba van is the best quality ......made by Hymer but as they are steel-framed they can be quite heavy for their size
the upside is that Eriba caravans hold their price well and are much sought after at reasonable prices
How does the DSG cope with towing? I remember years ago some auto gearboxes had overheating problems.
Totally agree with you on the Eriba, great quality and resale value. We owned a Puck and that was great fun, sold it for almost what we paid for it.
Cheers

How does the DSG cope with towing? I remember years ago some auto gearboxes had overheating problems.
Totally agree with you on the Eriba, great quality and resale value. We owned a Puck and that was great fun, sold it for almost what we paid for it.
Cheers
no hint of overheating even after driving at 100 kph for long periods in 30-degree heat in Spain
fuel consumption drops from 40 mpg to 25.......not so bad across the channel where diesel is much cheaper than petrol.........currently 90 cents a litre in Spain

I see your point.
However, I can’t think of a better tow car than a Cali T6...?
I think you raise a fair point about small trailers. If your going to tow something, at least get something of reasonable size.

I think pulling a Caravan is a good idea for the longer trips or touring, where more comfort and facilities are required.
I have a friend who works 3 months on and 3 months off and leaves his Caravan in different places abroad. Uses the Caravan for the lengthy stuff and his Cali for the bits in-between and weekend trips where he’s not comfortable pulling a Caravan to some mountain-side campsite...

Cheers

Thing is its really a manual so once the clutch is engaged there is no more heat build up than a manual. Unlike a torque convertor in true autos of old which constantly slips and therefore generates much more heat.

I knackered an X3 auto towing at high speed on the continent , hot ambient and long distance- it overheated and eventually couldnt maintain oil pressure. There were no warnings. First thing I knew was a delay and bang changing from 1st to 2nd

Cheers
No problem, but then the DSG gearbox is not the same as a true Automatic gearbox. No torque converter.

A direct-shift gearbox, commonly abbreviated to DSG, is an electronically controlled dual-clutch multiple-shaft gearbox in a transaxle design, with automatic clutch operation and with fully automatic or semi-manual gear selection. Wikipedia

Cheers
Evening all,

• It has to be tiny

Thanks,

Red.
Hi
I pull a Rockabilly with my T5 and so far it has been great. This is my 2nd Eriba and we have loved both. You will not beat Automotive Leisure for their service and they have a lot of choice of all ages from new to classic caravans. Pop down to Bournmouth to the showroom they will let you look round all the different layouts.

Just out of interest what do you get charged for on sites, one pitch, inc caravan and vehicle or separate caravan and campervan
Wouldn’t surprise me on some sites

Hi
I pull a Rockabilly with my T5 and so far it has been great. This is my 2nd Eriba and we have loved both. You will not beat Automotive Leisure for their service and they have a lot of choice of all ages from new to classic caravans. Pop down to Bournmouth to the showroom they will let you look round all the different layouts.
Thanks - we are going to try and have a visit to the showroom to view a few just as soon as time allows.

Just out of interest what do you get charged for on sites, one pitch, inc caravan and vehicle or separate caravan and campervan
Wouldn’t surprise me on some sites

Single pitch, not two pitches, as long as only one hook-up used and no cooking in the camper.

Last edited:
Back