Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6.1 VW 30mm lowering springs ?

Agree. My -30mm lasted a year and just picked it up after having B14 Komfort Coilovers fitted today. Min drop of 40mm

Wow, wow, wow what a difference. Instantly noticeable even on a smooth road. Big smile. Even managed to reduce the internal rattles..... VERY HAPPPPPPPY and my steering wheel is now straight......
Great to hear, do you or @Mr T have DCC? What did your B14 coilovers cost, and who fitted them? (I’ve been recommended Eibach for c£700 as have DCC)

Agree. My -30mm lasted a year and just picked it up after having B14 Komfort Coilovers fitted today. Min drop of 40mm

Wow, wow, wow what a difference. Instantly noticeable even on a smooth road. Big smile. Even managed to reduce the internal rattles..... VERY HAPPPPPPPY and my steering wheel is now straight......
Did your 30mm lowering springs fail?!

Great to hear, do you or @Mr T have DCC? What did your B14 coilovers cost, and who fitted them? (I’ve been recommended Eibach for c£700 as have DCC)
Simon at Bognor Motors. Circa 2k with all the "bit and bobs" including new droplinks, bearings, plates etc but mine is now 5years old. Retail for the coilovers is £1695

Did your 30mm lowering springs fail?!
Ride was horrible (tractor like) on the front. Too trashy over the bumps. Fine on smooth roads, but it will have you out of your seat if you hit a bump which is a problem when your nudging 6ft 5in and you head is close to the hatch (yep I've hit my head a lot). Also struggled to resolve tracking so steering wheel was always slightly RH down. Tyre wear.

Last edited:
Ride was horrible (tractor like) on the front. Too trashy over the bumps. Fine on smooth roads, but it will have you out of your seat if you hit a bump which is a problem when your nudging 6ft 5in and you head is close to the hatch (yep I've hit my head a lot). Also struggled to resolving tracking so steering wheel was always slightly RH down. Tyre wear.
Interesting. Not my experience so far, ride is good and steering dead centre. Mind you it’s early days, mine was only lowered a couple of weeks back.

Depends on your roads. I did 870 miles last week and I thought maybe this is not so bad and then I hit a bump on the M6 and thought.....:headbang

Measurements as follows:
Original suspension = F + 455 / R + 420
30mm lowering springs = F + 415 / R + 400
B14 current settings = F + 400 / R at 390

Don’t have DCC and had CRS Performance fit a H&R sport kit which is a dual tube coil over kit that is an official H&R product and is T U V approved , also has the big advantage that it has Damping adjustable Koni shocks.
Would certainly recommend talking to Steve at CRS. Circa £1400 fitted.

Just looking at the picture that VW use on the configurator - on that it looks like the wheel arch gaps are the same but then there is a distinct downhill slope to the front of all the horizontal lines on the body & the awning. You can compare it on the picture below by scrolling this page up/down so the lines are level with the top of the window its displayed in. Then do the same with the technical drawing above.

View attachment 70276
That’s the next best thing to sliced bread !
What an easy way to discover the lines need to be level. I don’t want an A-Team pointing down Buzz. Thanks @andyinluton
This is perfect.
I’ll keep a slightly saggy bottom !

Hard to see due to the dark wheels but that's 400mm front / 390mm rear from arch to centre of wheel.

Has anyone had the VW 30mm lowering springs fitted to their T6.1 ? Sorry, but only interested in the T6.1 not T6 as there are new springs for the T6.1. If you have, I would be interested to see any side photos as I have had them fitted and I don't believe the rake angle is correct - although VW Technical and Eibach are adamant it is !!

I thought the springs were the same but there was a special shaped seat that now comes with them that needed fitting at the same time.
This only came to light after some vans had already been fitted with the springs & it appears they don’t sit correctly without the additional part. I’ve seen a photo of it somewhere. I’ll try and find it again.

Has anyone had the VW 30mm lowering springs fitted to their T6.1 ? Sorry, but only interested in the T6.1 not T6 as there are new springs for the T6.1. If you have, I would be interested to see any side photos as I have had them fitted and I don't believe the rake angle is correct - although VW Technical and Eibach are adamant it is !!
I had mine lowered in December and am happy with the job. Don’t have a side view but will take one tomorrow for you to compare. Attached is a 3/4 view.

328F549C-51E5-4372-BCBA-4DA876B472AB.jpeg

Here’s my 6.1, 30mm lowering springs fitted from new at Liverpool VW. Looks level to me.
1612390669586.jpeg

@Rowls1958 . I think you need to stick at it, doesn’t look right unless you’ve got a load of weight in the back. If VW are not accepting anything wrong it may well be worth a trip to Bognor Motors or CRS Performance, or similar, to gain a recognised and widely respected expert opinion. Assuming they find fault I would just get them to rectify and chase VW after.

Here's mine, looks lower at the back than yours ?

Thanks

View attachment 72936
Must admit yours does look lower at the back but wonder if the chrome side bars exaggerate the illusion? Anyway here’s a couple of pictures of mine. Note, the van is well loaded with kit.

9AA7281E-94EB-4D18-982C-CD0F844B4050.jpeg

D019D61A-1E83-4706-AFA2-1480407BC0C7.jpeg

Here's mine, looks lower at the back than yours ?

Thanks

View attachment 72936
Measuring from the sill to the ground in front of the back wheel & behind the front wheel will give an idea how flat or otherwise the van is.
There is quite an extensive thread on the T6 forum but the upshot is that rake varies a fair bit across the transporter range from about flat on a Cali to slightly nose down on panel vans that are not so tail heavy.
I suspect VW spec the suspension based on gross vehicle weight rather than curb weight which means a Cali will naturally sit lower at the back because it’s carying half it’s payload all of the time.
At the end of the day I think that within a sensible range it comes down to personal preference rather than right or wrong so if your not happy I would look to get something changed. I have T32 springs on the back of mine which makes it “look” flatter although it’s actually very slightly nose down.
I think there are a couple of different specs of lowering springs so getting it to look how you want might just be a case of swapping the rears for something a bit more heavy duty which is a really straightforward job.

A spirit level or inclinometer on the kitchen worktop should tell you what’s flat and what’s not (assuming you’re on level ground). Personally, I think it’s an optical illusion. On the photo, stick your thumb over the front wheel/arch and the illusion goes away.

UPDATE FROM EIBACH ON 30mm LOWERING SPRINGS ON T6.1 OCEAN

Following the issues I posted about as OP on this thread in respect of having the VW 30mm lowering springs fitted on my 2020 T6.1 Ocean and the 'problem' of the van sloping to the rear, after months of getting nowhere with VW, I have just been advised by Eibach, the manufacturers, that they have been aware of the issue and have now obtained TUV accreditation for leaving the original factory fitted springs on the rear with the 30mm lowering springs just on the front !!!

Eibach advise that this will result in a 'neutral' rake bias. Whilst seemingly not 'admitting' there is a 'problem' with the lowering springs fitted all round, they would obviously have not gone to the considerable expense of obtaining TUV accreditation for this 'half and half' set up for no reason !!!

My dealer is fitting the original rear springs this week.

Following the issues I posted about as OP on this thread in respect of having the VW 30mm lowering springs fitted on my 2020 T6.1 Ocean and the 'problem' of the van sloping to the rear, after months of getting nowhere with VW, I have just been advised by Eibach, the manufacturers, that they have been aware of the issue and have now obtained TUV accreditation for leaving the original factory fitted springs on the rear with the 30mm lowering springs just on the front !!!

Eibach advise that this will result in a 'neutral' rake bias. Whilst seemingly not 'admitting' there is a 'problem' with the lowering springs fitted all round, they would obviously have not gone to the considerable expense of obtaining TUV accreditation for this 'half and half' set up for no reason !!!

Half price then?

Can you post a photo of your van after the dealer has fitted the original springs on the rear?
We are due dealer fit 30mm lowering before we pick our new Cali up in three weeks time. It would be great to know if this works before letting them lower ours too.