Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6.1 Ocean towing an Eriba (max 1,400kg) 150ps or 199ps?

We are hoping very soon to place an order for our first California. Nearly there with our wish list, just not sure about the engine size. Going with the Ocean, will be towing an Eriba 550 sometimes (maximum weight 1400kg) just wondered if the 199pps would be better or OK with the 150ps. We were thinking the 4Motion if we went for the 199ps, but not sure needed for the extra £3.5K. We camp occasionally on CL sites (grass) and go abroad touring Europe (Austria mountains - not in the winter). Have experienced some tight/steep roads on our trips abroad (we have a Yeti 150ps 4x4, previously Roomster 1.9 - 105ps which struggled). I know the 4Motion has split opinions on this forum!

Having never owned a California and test driven the 150ps but not towed with one no idea about which power is best. Thinking the 199ps, just for the extra power to help towing, any advice greatly received?

Hi Gelato,
We tow our Eriba Nova 495 GL (2019) with our 2018 "204 TDI Cali DSG7".
The caravan has a MTPLM of 1800kg and is equpied with ATC.
The Cali tows like a dream, you would hardly know the caravan was there (better than our Toyota Land Cruiser), just put the DSG into D and let her go.
So far we have done almost 8000 kms without any problems.
Caution is needed however under braking due to the total weight of the Cali + Caravan, and care when starting off at roundabouts in wet conditions (4M would be better in this case), but if you tow sensibly and take your time there should be no problems.

Hi Gelato,
We tow our Eriba Nova 495 GL (2019) with our 2018 "204 TDI Cali DSG7".
The caravan has a MTPLM of 1800kg and is equpied with ATC.
The Cali tows like a dream, you would hardly know the caravan was there (better than our Toyota Land Cruiser), just put the DSG into D and let her go.
So far we have done almost 8000 kms without any problems.
Caution is needed however under braking due to the total weight of the Cali + Caravan, and care when starting off at roundabouts in wet conditions (4M would be better in this case), but if you tow sensibly and take your time there should be no problems.
Have been caravanning for 30plus years in uk and Europe using Bmw. Mercedes Range Rover Volvo etc and our Cali is the best ever towcar
Never been stuck on hills. Sand. Wet grass etc
Use with confidence x

Have a look at the Torque NM at low revs that both engines delivery,

Example being ISUS D-Max Pick up truck 440NM at 1400rpm 1.9L diesel engine, great stats

Thanks for everyone's comments, heart and head, job!.

So I will see what the boss has to say (my wife) but hopefully we will go with the T6.1 Ocean, 2 tone (White & Bay Leaf Green) 199ps and 4 Motion ;) - gulp £££££

Next decision the wheels, which I think are important, how the California looks, but my wife says as long as they go round and have tyres on...! Like the idea of 18" wheels but think the Teresina (diamond turned) will mark easily (and even more money), so perhaps the 17" Devonport, not so keen on the 'Woodstock'. Again would be easier if you could see the actual wheels on a vehicle rather than looking on the internet!
20”:)

We are hoping very soon to place an order for our first California. Nearly there with our wish list, just not sure about the engine size. Going with the Ocean, will be towing an Eriba 550 sometimes (maximum weight 1400kg) just wondered if the 199pps would be better or OK with the 150ps. We were thinking the 4Motion if we went for the 199ps, but not sure needed for the extra £3.5K. We camp occasionally on CL sites (grass) and go abroad touring Europe (Austria mountains - not in the winter). Have experienced some tight/steep roads on our trips abroad (we have a Yeti 150ps 4x4, previously Roomster 1.9 - 105ps which struggled). I know the 4Motion has split opinions on this forum!

Having never owned a California and test driven the 150ps but not towed with one no idea about which power is best. Thinking the 199ps, just for the extra power to help towing, any advice greatly received?

Hello there, just wondering what category of driver's license you have?

My wife and I are contemplating the purchase of an Eriba Touring Troll 530 and have discovered that our Category B license doesn't permit us to tow it with our Beach because the combined weight is greater than 3,500 kg.

Drusilla

Hi Drusilla

Had a little panic when I read your post but realised had a licence for a few years (ie. before 1997). Had checked previously but forgotten, we don't have our T6.1 yet still waiting :(

I have a licence with: B,BE,C1,C1E,D1,D1E

Hope this helps, had a look on the gov website just to check

<https://www.gov.uk/driving-licence-categories>

Hi Drusilla

Had a little panic when I read your post but realised had a licence for a few years (ie. before 1997). Had checked previously but forgotten, we don't have our T6.1 yet still waiting :(

I have a licence with: B,BE,C1,C1E,D1,D1E

Hope this helps, had a look on the gov website just to check

<https://www.gov.uk/driving-licence-categories>
Need be licence I have a nearly new truck sat nav that you can have for a modest price
Set for length height width and weight of your Vw plus trailer
Call Geoff 07775557171

Hey Gelato,

Sorry that my post caused you a brief panic! We have spent a good deal of time looking at various caravans and the Eriba (various models) has really struck us as ideal. We are now trying to come to terms with either putting in the time, money, and effort to upgrade our licenses, or (dare I say it) trade in our California and find a smaller vehicle to tow with.

Drusilla

The Cali 4Motion is the same drive train as the Yeti so the same issues will happen (Have experienced some tight/steep roads on our trips) no matter the engine power re-starting on a hill in the mountains can be a problem.

More weight bigger problem for the clutch, manual or DSG same issue, getting moving without bogging the engine down before the turbo winds up or burning the clutch, more HP is not going to help its how much grunt there is off boost, with a 2WD dump the clutch and spin the wheels with 4Motion/4x4 not so easy.

The laws of physics apply to everything including VW's

Hey Gelato,

Sorry that my post caused you a brief panic! We have spent a good deal of time looking at various caravans and the Eriba (various models) has really struck us as ideal. We are now trying to come to terms with either putting in the time, money, and effort to upgrade our licenses, or (dare I say it) trade in our California and find a smaller vehicle to tow with.

Drusilla
We have a Skoda Yeti at the moment which is a great little towbar, we wanted more space to throw things in and also to have the choice of a 1 or 2 nights away at the weekend in the California - depending where we are going. Also in time our son can sleep in the California and us in the Eriba. We have had 3x Eriba now, great little caravans, each model we have slowly moved up in size - (430, 530, 550) not that they are large caravans! If you upgrade your licences that might help in the future perhaps with choice of vehicle/motorhome, don't know how much it costs or what it involves with the licences, might be worth checking, comparing with changing your vehicle/running costs etc.

The Cali 4Motion is the same drive train as the Yeti so the same issues will happen (Have experienced some tight/steep roads on our trips) no matter the engine power re-starting on a hill in the mountains can be a problem.

More weight bigger problem for the clutch, manual or DSG same issue, getting moving without bogging the engine down before the turbo winds up or burning the clutch, more HP is not going to help its how much grunt there is off boost, with a 2WD dump the clutch and spin the wheels with 4Motion/4x4 not so easy.

Thanks for info/advice decided to go with the $motion 199 - just waiting for delivery now :(

I have a Yeti 4x4 and T6 4 motion, both DSG. The Cali copes better than the the Yeti which is pretty good. Good choice on the 4v motion btw.

DSG doesn't have the same clutch system as a manual gearbox so not a burnout risk with DSG.

Thanks for info/advice decided to go with the $motion 199 - just waiting for delivery now :(

You will not be disappointed. Mine does not even notice the Eriba on the back.

I am of course a sweet and very genteel granny driver when I have the Eriba on the back.

A little while ago I pulled up to some traffic lights and realised I needed to be in the outside lane. As luck would have it I got mr "Vroom Vroom" pull up on my outside. The lights changed, I just floored it, the Cali shot off like a bat out of hell and Mr Vroom Vroom had to be content with coming second best to a van towing a caravan ..... :shocked

DSG doesn't have the same clutch system as a manual gearbox so not a burnout risk with DSG.

Some cars do have a twin plate dry clutch dsg the VAG DQ200 transmission and they burnout regularly , used where engine torque is below 250Nm. The wet clutch DSG like cali can still burnout like a motorcycle clutch but its less prone agreed.

You will not be disappointed. Mine does not even notice the Eriba on the back.

I am of course a sweet and very genteel granny driver when I have the Eriba on the back.

A little while ago I pulled up to some traffic lights and realised I needed to be in the outside lane. As luck would have it I got mr "Vroom Vroom" pull up on my outside. The lights changed, I just floored it, the Cali shot off like a bat out of hell and Mr Vroom Vroom had to be content with coming second best to a van towing a caravan ..... :shocked
Went with your advice/suggestion 4Motion and extra power - sounds like you are having fun with yours :)

You think... we’ll maybe I’m biased but from inside the empire where in countries where no one gives a hoot about traffic laws they all fail, sport mode, throttle is a switch on or off, wet clutch DSG is a little better but expensive to repair, there’s only one thing tougher than a company car, a rental car...

View attachment 54382

We use 150ps Beach to tow Hymer Nova 541 (MTPLN 1800Kg)

Pulls fine in standard spec, although I did have a TDI-Tuning box spec'd at purchase because I was in two minds at that stage if it was going to be enough...... we mainly use 180ps mode (Unit can go to 195ps).

Tuning box was £399 + VAT I think, from dealership.....
Hi Scorf . Just wondering haw you got on towing hymer 1800kg ? I’m looking at hymer 540 1800kg. Thanks

Back