Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6.1 & Eriba (or any caravan) - sleeping

Gelato

Gelato

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
Have posted before about campsite single pitch for a California and a caravan (sounds like you can pitch both on the same pitch if you explain will not be cooking or hooking up for power with the California). My question is has anyone with a California and an Eriba been allowed to let someone sleep in the caravan AND the California. Our son is 14 and we are wondering if sometimes he might like to sleep in the California 'up-top' – as we have only had our California since September not been able to go to any campsites with both to find out if you a 'campsite paid' person can sleep in a different vehicle. We see it the same as someone sleeping in the awning but just wondered if anyone on the forum has experience of sleeping arrangements when towing a caravan?

Thank for any advice.

I believe @GrannyJen has done this when away with her sister.

Have posted before about campsite single pitch for a California and a caravan (sounds like you can pitch both on the same pitch if you explain will not be cooking or hooking up for power with the California). My question is has anyone with a California and an Eriba been allowed to let someone sleep in the caravan AND the California. Our son is 14 and we are wondering if sometimes he might like to sleep in the California 'up-top' – as we have only had our California since September not been able to go to any campsites with both to find out if you a 'campsite paid' person can sleep in a different vehicle. We see it the same as someone sleeping in the awning but just wondered if anyone on the forum has experience of sleeping arrangements when towing a caravan?

Thank for any advice.

Both of the two big clubs are ok. Rule is no cooking, no hook-up, it's therefore just like an awning. Especially true with a California that fits comfortably side by side with the caravan on the same pitch.

non-club sites, those normally lauded for having "less regulation", can be a lottery and even more so post covid. Every single non-club site that I have booked with for 2021 are insisting "separate accommodation, separate pitch", even ones that were fairly relaxed a year ago. Check with each before travelling.

As Alison, mentioned GrannyJen has done it. Caravan & Motor home Club do let you but no cooking allowed in one unit.

I can imagine a C&MH club warden spending an hour or so deciding how you pitch. Is it caravan to the post & van goes in as tow car, or caravan to the post & the van goes where the awning would, or even van to the post & caravan becomes the awning, or even putting the 2 units on 2 separate pitches.... he will decide what to do then you point out your van is "continental" & has the door on the opposite side & that might just put him over the edge......

GrannyJen - do you have a correct agreed pitching strategy from them?

As Alison, mentioned GrannyJen has done it. Caravan & Motor home Club do let you but no cooking allowed in one unit.

I can imagine a C&MH club warden spending an hour or so deciding how you pitch. Is it caravan to the post & van goes in as tow car, or caravan to the post & the van goes where the awning would, or even van to the post & caravan becomes the awning, or even putting the 2 units on 2 separate pitches.... he will decide what to do then you point out your van is "continental" & has the door on the opposite side & that might just put him over the edge......

I have experienced the problem with having a continental caravan. The door is on the wrong side and some sites insist that it is put on the pitch so the door is the right side. this means turning the caravan 180 decrees. With no mover on gravel it is fun! That is why when I travel by myself I only take the California as tuning the caravan by myself is impossible.

The California is classed as the tow vehicle and C&MH like it on the opposite side to the door of the caravan so not easy to go between them. Camping and caravan club park it on the grass if you have a hardstand pitch and seem more relaxed about door side. Sites that have more continental visitors are more accommodating. It all comes down to the warrens.

I would love to use the pull out awing of the California between the van and caravan but have only been able to do this very occasionally.

Never ever had a problem but then it is quite logical with an Eriba.

Both have doors on continental side so the two units parked up with doors facing each other is perfect. The caravan as the habitation unit is reversed on to the pitch offside rear to the peg and the van is parked front first.

Our experience is just as GJ describes.

Some private sites will treat the two as one unit, others insist on two pitches and two fees. It all depends on the individual sites. I find it easier to speak to someone directly rather than rely on an on-line booking system.

Both of the two big clubs are ok. Rule is no cooking, no hook-up, it's therefore just like an awning. Especially true with a California that fits comfortably side by side with the caravan on the same pitch.

non-club sites, those normally lauded for having "less regulation", can be a lottery and even more so post covid. Every single non-club site that I have booked with for 2021 are insisting "separate accommodation, separate pitch", even ones that were fairly relaxed a year ago. Check with each before travelling.
Thanks 'Granny Jen', thought this might be the case at the moment, hopefully in time things will settle down and we will be able to use both units for sleeping, but just the caravan for cooking and hock-up.

Hope your exciting adventure is going well!

Back