Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6.1 DSG in Manual mode not shifting up

ChocolateEclair

ChocolateEclair

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
I picked this up from another T6.1 forum so thought I would give it a try and lo and behold the same problem.

When switching to manual mode (I.e. shifting the gear stick to the right) it will not shift up a gear. It changes down OK and shifts back to automatic OK but never shifts up.

Anyone else experience this?

I picked this up from another T6.1 forum so thought I would give it a try and lo and behold the same problem.

When switching to manual mode (I.e. shifting the gear stick to the right) it will not shift up a gear. It changes down OK and shifts back to automatic OK but never shifts up.

That is the standard behaviour and hence why it is called the manual mode. You need to shift up manually.

DSG has always been that way for all models.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

That is the standard behaviour and hence why it is called the manual mode. You need to shift up manually.

DSG has always been that way for all models.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
No, sorry if I wasn’t clear. It just will not shift up. When pushing the gear knob forward, nothing happens. Pulling it back shifts down OK.

In the other forum the owner also could not get back in to Auto but mine seems OK.

No, sorry if I wasn’t clear. It just will not shift up. When pushing the gear knob forward, nothing happens. Pulling it back shifts down OK.

In the other forum the owner also could not get back in to Auto but mine seems OK.

Ah! OK. Have you tried to press the shift button and then trying to shift up?

Does it shift up using the steering wheel paddles?

Saw the same issue being experienced by a new T6.1 van owner yesterday. So you are not a one off.

Also numerous door handle failures, a recall to fix.

Another test today - holding the button makes no difference.

Would urge other T6.1 owners to check as I hardly ever use manual mode but it does sometimes come in handy.

Might be keep emissions under control. Manual would be unpredictable in legislation terms to what was found during auto - DSG mode.

Sport mode gone now also manual??

Would urge other T6.1 owners to check as I hardly ever use manual mode but it does sometimes come in handy.
That's interesting. When you get a moment, another try please - this time push up and hold for >2 seconds (usually it is just push and leave).

Really bizarre if the manual option has been taken away . But it may be a software glitch (VW are famous for that).

I do end up using the manual mode a bit as when I turn into our residential area, always shift to manual, switch off the radio, and love to listen to the engine for that 1 minute or so before I park her up. Helps to identify if the engine has started making any abnormal noises during the trip. Its become a habit more than anything else now. Also in 2nd, helps to keep speed in check to avoid darting children/cats across the road.

Might be keep emissions under control. Manual would be unpredictable in legislation terms to what was found during auto - DSG mode.

Sport mode gone now also manual??
Curiously the current brochure says the T6.1 DSG has both standard and sport modes yet images of the shifter don't have the D/S indicated. There is the +/- so manual option must still be available.
So issue could be a bad sensor or more likely software hiccup. Take it to the dealer for a software update.

Pictures show the only references to Tiptronic that I've found in the Manual.

My MY20 T6.1 works OK, within the features / restrictions of the 'manual' Tiptronic mode - e.g. only M1 is available when stationary and it automatically shifts down if I lose too many revs. It also seems to ignore attempts to change up if I don't have enough revs for that gear. I guess this is to protect the complex DSG gearbox.

Attachments

• IMG_8791.jpeg
    IMG_8791.jpeg
    157.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_8792.jpeg
    IMG_8792.jpeg
    172.8 KB · Views: 21

My MY20 T6.1 works OK, within the features / restrictions of the 'manual' Tiptronic mode - e.g. only M1 is available when stationary and it automatically shifts down if I lose too many revs. It also seems to ignore attempts to change up if I don't have enough revs for that gear. I guess this is to protect the complex DSG gearbox.
Correct, Manual DSG mode will only upshift when the engine state allows. Revs/speed too low and the computer prevents upshifting. I also get 7th gear in manual mode on my Audi S4. I use manual mode 99% of the time so I hope its not disabled on the 2021/22 Cali

I’ll give it another go tomorrow to double check, however I remember seeing the instruction to change up on the dash and it just wouldn’t. It’s certainly not working like it used to on my old T5.

Hello all, have only just read this. Have a MY21 199 Ocean. But had the same issue - put the DSG into manual mode and wouldn’t switch gear up or down. Returned to dealer who confirmed fault and repaired it. Now back with me and all ok.

Whilst I appreciate the sample size of DSG owners on here is a small fraction of those VAG vehicles so equipped, the incidence of ‘issues’ with the gearbox doesn’t inspire much confidence.

The Toyota e-CVT continuously variable gearbox is my first choice for an automatic vehicle; bulletproof, efficient, and compared to the VAG DSG, much more simple. And there‘s the Toyota quality too...

Hello all, have only just read this. Have a MY21 199 Ocean. But had the same issue - put the DSG into manual mode and wouldn’t switch gear up or down. Returned to dealer who confirmed fault and repaired it. Now back with me and all ok.
So what did they do to fix it? SW flash? Hardware? Besides the manual upshift now active, any other improvements you noticed?

Ah yes, thanks for the prod - should have included it. It was mechanical as far as I know - the VW paperwork said that the gear selector was jamming, it was removed and an internal fault was found. It was replaced. To be clear, the manual shift didn‘t work in either direction - up or down. But it’s all good now. I discovered it, as I wanted to hold the engine in a lower gear for a bit to warm it up quicker. I’m also sure I’ll be grateful of it on the descents from the Alps when we’re allowed to do that.

Perhaps should also have said that no faults were logged in the system when they did a guided fault find.

Hello

We have experienced this problem and have recently had the issue fixed at VW, it's the electronic selection switch that we had changed / also with this issue the rear camera played up as well no image on the screen when in reverse, fixed under warranty and took 5 days at the garage, hope that helps and good luck

Back