Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6.1 Audio - Kenwood KSC-PSW8 underseat subwoofer

GrahamB

GrahamB

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
For anyone interested in an audio upgrade, I have had a Kenwood KSC-PSW8 subwoofer fitted by Absolut5. It’s a plug and play unit, sits neatly under the driver seat and it has a small remote with tone filter and volume control, which they fitted near to the centre cupholder and mini usb ports. My reason for doing this upgrade was I found the sound of the Pro Media system acceptable at the top end and mid range but lacking any real bottom end punch. Results are good from a first listen on the way home. With a bit of tweaking of EQ in the head unit and adjusting the sub volume to suit, I am getting a much more rounded sound and proper bass volume, without distortion. Cranking up the bass on the EQ previously just ended up making the door speakers sound ragged - now they are really only running mids and the sub does the work. Its easy to put way too much bass volume through the sub, but I found a decent balance by setting it up with a few obviously bass heavy tracks - White Stripes’ 7 Nation Army and Talking Heads’ Psycho Killer. I still need to play with it a bit more but first impressions are its a really decent upgrade and for me its worth the cost - £389 inc. fitting. The actual install by Absolut5 is excellent, all wires buried under carpet. CCA06742-1501-4976-988B-CF06A0C990F6.jpegBD895A44-C74F-481C-A544-3FAC708343C4.jpeg

14C5F9FE-FA47-450B-9DC4-4A8F9DB3988C.jpeg

1CDD30CB-00E6-4967-BFE6-D1EBC667BF7B.jpeg

724A4CBF-122C-476F-BCCC-D042F7B2C13E.jpeg

For anyone interested in an audio upgrade, I have had a Kenwood KSC-PSW8 subwoofer fitted by Absolut5. It’s a plug and play unit, sits neatly under the driver seat and it has a small remote with tone filter and volume control, which they fitted near to the centre cupholder and mini usb ports. My reason for doing this upgrade was I found the sound of the Pro Media system acceptable at the top end and mid range but lacking any real bottom end punch. Results are good from a first listen on the way home. With a bit of tweaking of EQ in the head unit and adjusting the sub volume to suit, I am getting a much more rounded sound and proper bass volume, without distortion. Cranking up the bass on the EQ previously just ended up making the door speakers sound ragged - now they are really only running mids and the sub does the work. Its easy to put way too much bass volume through the sub, but I found a decent balance by setting it up with a few obviously bass heavy tracks - White Stripes’ 7 Nation Army and Talking Heads’ Psycho Killer. I still need to play with it a bit more but first impressions are its a really decent upgrade and for me its worth the cost - £389 inc. fitting. The actual install by Absolut5 is excellent, all wires buried under carpet. View attachment 82526View attachment 82527

View attachment 82528

View attachment 82529

View attachment 82530
Thanks, as a bass lover, I’m looking forward to living with my pro media and seeing if I think it needs an upgrade.
Does the remote have to hang there or can you put it away?

Thanks, as a bass lover, I’m looking forward to living with my pro media and seeing if I think it needs an upgrade.
Does the remote have to hang there or can you put it away?
It can go where you like, but it’s a wired remote and there aren't many obvious places to put it - that location avoids a lot of trailing wire. You can sit it inside the cupholder, or with the small bin place it can be tucked out of the way to one side.

It can go where you like, but it’s a wired remote and there aren't many obvious places to put it - that location avoids a lot of trailing wire. You can sit it inside the cupholder, or with the small bin place it can be tucked out of the way to one side.
No option for a wire-free remote?
Or better still syncing it with the audio system?

No option for a wire-free remote?
Or better still syncing it with the audio system?
No I don't think so. You still have some overall EQ control through the system obviously. I think once it is set up the remote is probably left well alone tbh. It just has to live somewhere. I think if I can’t live with it where it is I will coil up the wire and stash it under the seat.

No I don't think so. You still have some overall EQ control through the system obviously. I think once it is set up the remote is probably left well alone tbh. It just has to live somewhere. I think if I can’t live with it where it is I will coil up the wire and stash it under the seat.
Next stage upgrade would realistically be all speakers changed and separate power amps. But the problem with the Cali is where to put them. Plus the cost! This is a fairly economical fix to the problem with the basic system.

Thanks for posting this.
Have you seen the speaker upgrade which Transporter HQ are selling?

I hadn’t seen it, thanks for sharing. What a great video, I was previously very daunted about taking off door cards but I am now tempted. I think you might have cost me more money on sounds! :cool:

I wonder if anyone on here has tried this upgrade of door speakers and A pillar tweeters in a Cali?

I wonder if anyone on here has tried this upgrade of door speakers and A pillar tweeters in a Cali?

There were a few posts about this a few weeks back, doesn't look like anyone has installed one yet. There is also an upgrade option with the Alpine set to add a sub & amps. interestingly the Amp has bluetooth and USB ports so you can pair directly rather than going through the head unit.

I was thinking it may be possible to run the amp off the leisure batteries & use that as a way of using the van speakers when parked up.

There were a few posts about this a few weeks back, doesn't look like anyone has installed one yet. There is also an upgrade option with the Alpine set to add a sub & amps. interestingly the Amp has bluetooth and USB ports so you can pair directly rather than going through the head unit.

I was thinking it may be possible to run the amp off the leisure batteries & use that as a way of using the van speakers when parked up.
I hadn’t seen that, thanks I will have a look. Absolut5 said it would be hard to find space for power amps in the Cali. Not sure if everything would fit under the driver seat with a sub? I do quite like the idea of the Alpine plug and play speaker upgrade though. I feel like the head unit has enough power to give sufficient volume for my taste. Wife and kids always tell me its too loud anyway! I guess with the door cards off to fit speakers, the thing to do would be to fit some Dynamat insulation at the same time.
I agree it would be nice to have sounds when parked up.

Absolut5 said it would be hard to find space for power amps in the Cali. Not sure if everything would fit under the driver seat with a sub?
I'm going to carry on with my research, need to visit one of the Alpine dealers as there is nowhere on line that shows exactly what you get & where it goes for the add on kit. The upgraded door speakers & tweeters do look good though & I can't see a bad review anywhere.

The front speaker upgrade from Alpine does look very good. The thing that I am unsure about is the removal of the 'A' pillar trim as the roller blinds make things more complicated.

It's always worth adding the sound deadening for several reasons but the more you add the more weight you add to the Cali.

Your best bet would be to talk to THQ and see if they have fitted the Alpine upgrade to a California?

Pretty sure Absolut 5 have or are designing their own sub that fits under the passenger seat with a built in amplifier.

Last edited:
I emailed THQ. It seems they have done it, and its still straightforward, although slightly different in a cali. Andy said -
Yes they fit with the blinds. Cali’s have a double skin inside the A-Pillar though so the insides need a little cutting so the grilles fit. Its pretty simple to do and fairly obvious what you need to do when the pillars are off.

The front speaker upgrade from Alpine does look very good. The thing that I am unsure about is the removal of the 'A' pillar trim as the roller blinds make things more complicated.

It's always worth adding the sound deadening for several reasons but the more you add the more weight you add to the Cali.

Your best bet would be to talk to THQ and see if they have fitted the Alpine upgrade to a California?

Did you use the Kenwood remote very often?

Not much tbh, but its good to have the adjustment to dial in enough bass for your liking. Then once that is set you can still EQ using the dash controls.

Back