Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T5 electric problem

M

Miha_p

Vehicle
T5 SE 130
Hallo!
when i plug my california to external power cable, there is elctricity in the metal bolt at the rear bed (it is shaking really well and also electro tester shows):
IMG_20170528_114516.jpg
Under the bolt is the metal plate:
IMG_20170528_123743.jpg

What could be the problem?
thanks for answer

Hallo!
when i plug my california to external power cable, there is elctricity in the metal bolt at the rear bed (it is shaking really well and also electro tester shows):
View attachment 22296
Under the bolt is the metal plate:
View attachment 22297

What could be the problem?
thanks for answer
Hi and :welcome.

I know English may not be your first language, but I think something has been lost in translation.

The Mains Electricity plug is on the other side of your vehicle and goes first to the RCD switch in the rear wardrobe and then to the Mains Socket on the end of the Kitchen Unit and also to the 12v Leisure Battery Charger, which on your model is under the Fridge, I believe.
I don't understand your reference to the rear bed board and bolt etc: which is insulated from the body work so even if there was a short to the body would not be affected and in fact I think you would have bigger problems than that if that was the case.

Definately a problem, the 230/240v mains should be totally isolated from the bodywork.

Do not use mains hook-up as it is dangerous. Electrian needed!

Last edited:
For starters it's unlikely you've got a live bolt. The earth leakage/RCD would see this and disconnect, either in the van or at the supply end.

Secondly I doubt you've got a tester sophisticated enough to measure a leakage current without actually tripping the RCD.

For starters it's unlikely you've got a live bolt. The earth leakage/RCD would see this and disconnect, either in the van or at the supply end.
That assumes nobody's messed with the original VW circuits... 2005 vehicle, a previous owner may have botched up a repair...
Though agreed, the external supply (house/campsite) trip should (if fitted)

Thanks for the answers. I have visited an electrian and he asumed that extension cable (i used cable without earth) may cause some static current. Now with the new cable it works well.
Thanks also for welcome, really great forum with a lot of information rof beginners.

Back