Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T5 California - lowering the awning?

bmassaer

bmassaer

Vehicle
Please Select
Hi,

We have a silly but important problem. Recently the springs underneath our VW T5 California (2007) were renewed and... now the Cali is a little higher so it does not fit anymore in our pretty small garage box.

Would it be possible to lower the awning? Maybe by using another connection to the vehicle?
Or does anybody have another solution?

Thank you!

Bart

Put shorter springs on it?

Hi Bart I don’t think it would be possible to lower the awning lowered springs would be your answer

Are you sure the awning is highest point of the van? mine isn't.

Yes, the awning is the highest point. Would it be difficult/costly to put lower springs?

Bart

vw lowering springs are about £225 plus fitting

Now don’t laugh but is it an option to dig out the floor? Just two tracks , vehicle width would do it?

Funny you mentioned. But I'm afraid we are not allowed to to so..

Do you have a Fiama one ...?
With the Thule one mounted the roof is the highest point .
Change awning ?
Invest in a good compressor ...
Deflate the tyres when entering ;)

Or maybe I will wait for a while. It seems that the springs are already a very little bit lower then when installed. Maybe they will give me some more space after on thousand or so kilometers...

Get the mother in law to sit in the Cali before you drive it in. :thumb

Fact. I have used concrete blocks in the boot before to clear a low door, plus letting the tyres down. Not optimum but it does the trick.

The awning is detached from the brackets very easily by the way.

Hi,

We have a silly but important problem. Recently the springs underneath our VW T5 California (2007) were renewed and... now the Cali is a little higher so it does not fit anymore in our pretty small garage box.

Would it be possible to lower the awning? Maybe by using another connection to the vehicle?
Or does anybody have another solution?

Thank you!

Bart
VB air suspension; not cheap but worth the expense!

Back