Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T5.1 BiTDi 180 engine oil operating range

John Iddles

John Iddles

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Having just had an improved VW oil cooler fitted, oil and filter change, EGR blank and ReMAP carried out (this being a CFC series engine), I wanted to monitor the oil's temperature (via the MFD) but can't find any safe temperature operating range anywhere in the handbook or online. On the way back from the engineer's it was reading between 93 and 99 degrees C on a 12 mile run with ambient temps of 15 degrees. I would be grateful if someone could tell me the correct safe temperature range.

As a useful aside, despite the power and torque improvements, LV= our insurers (through CSMA) have only charged an extra £15 per annum which was a pleasant surprise.

That's normal for a short journey. Oil has a higher boiling temperature (circa 300 degrees). I've seen 104 on mine on climbs

On very hot days when the engine is working hard, it's not unusual to see that temperature rise to above 105°C.
The hotter the better, unless it would get too hot and burn, thus losing it's viscosity.
Cold oil is thicker, and therefore worse for the engine.
With all those maximum speed lowered by the government, our engines get the right temperature later and later on your ride.
Try to heat up your engine on a cold day in the city with a maximum speed of 20mph everywhere.
Compare the time needed on a highway, doing 80mph.

On very hot days when the engine is working hard, it's not unusual to see that temperature rise to above 105°C.
The hotter the better, unless it would get too hot and burn, thus losing it's viscosity.
Cold oil is thicker, and therefore worse for the engine.
With all those maximum speed lowered by the government, our engines get the right temperature later and later on your ride.
Try to heat up your engine on a cold day in the city with a maximum speed of 20mph everywhere.
Compare the time needed on a highway, doing 80mph.
Ecco the optional programable coolant heater. I do not understand why VW limits the standard non programable functioning of this device to 5 degrees. It should function on every cold start, regardless of the temperature, to limit engine wear. Since I have the programable option, I use it this way, even though it may not be designed to withstand daily use. Which is better, replace a worn out programable coolant heater, or replace the engine?

On the other hand, apart from some early 180hp engines, how much engines really need replacement?
But yes, they should implement a heater for the engine, but then not alone for the coolant (most probably for the internal heating, because no electric heating element in this vehicle), but also a heater (or double function) for the oil.

I’d be more concerned about how long oil takes to warm up from cold. That’s when engines suffer most. The mfd will tell you that.

On the other hand, it’s a commercial vehicle, just drive it and service it to schedule.

I’d be more concerned about how long oil takes to warm up from cold. That’s when engines suffer most. The mfd will tell you that.
In winter, with temperatures for around 0°C, it takes my van 10km and 10 minutes to start giving a temperature. Then the - - - turn into about 50°C.

You can tell your engine is up to temperature (complete), if you restart the engine after 1 hour, and there is still coolant and oil temperature reading.
Your coolant temperatur gauge can show you 90°C, but if you restart after 10 minutes is has almost dropped completely, then you engine hasn't warmed up enough yet.

That's normal for a short journey. Oil has a higher boiling temperature (circa 300 degrees). I've seen 104 on mine on climbs
I had seen ours as high as 105 previously, but what I was after from this forum was the 'official' correct range; I thought I had seen it in the handbook when we bought the vehicle but spent several hours yesterday looking again and couldn't find it.

Hello there . My first post here. I've got a California Ocean 199 / 30 years anniversary edition. Its 4 motion DSG with diff lock. On a 3 hour fast motorway drive last week , the oil temperature was 123 degrees with outside temperature of 12 degrees. This seems a bit excessive. The oil was changed the previous week and the oil level is where it should be. Any advice.
Regards Noel.

Also , I had a roof rack with heavy duty ladder on board !

Back