Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T4 Westfalia Roof Canvas Replacement.

Derry said:
Good job well done :thumb

My turn next :eek: ordered new canvas from gunzl last week all pic and info will come in handy, I will read the post a couple more time before starting :crazy

Thanks guys!!

Derry - You won't be dissapointed with the quality and fit of the Gunzl canvas, its spot on!! Just take your time and you'll be fine, give me a shout if you do get stuck thou :thumb

Good luck!!

Another new canvas from gunzl fitted excellent quality very happy with it as everyone else has mentioned, no drama's fitting except for snapping the rubber seal that holds the canvas in place at the bottom :headbang when removing it so if anyone else attempts it be careful when removing!
And had a little fight with the canvas trying to get stretched over the last corner but there was only going to be one winner and managed it in the end :thumb

Don't think I would have attempted the canvas change if it wasn't for reading the tips and pictures above so thanks to all who posted.

Hi Folks - some great work here!

I'd still be interested in a old canvas if anyone has one going spare and would like to make a few quid rather than throwing it in the bin :thumb

Cheers,
Nick

Hi Nick, I've still got my original canvas if your interested. It's all intact just mildew staining as in the above pics.
Also got the original pop top seal too.
Cheers
Dave

Thanks a lot Dave - I've just popped you a PM across :thumb

Hi, sorry but I can't access PM's for some reason, do you have an email address?
Cheers

Hi everyone just read all the comments on the canvas change so im going to go for it. :D

Hi guys

New to the ownership of a t4 westy and this forum.
Having read this tread over and over again I have ordered new canvas from Gunzl website and will attemp to fit this weekend.
Regarding rubber seal that seals the canvas on the bottom track, what would be best way to pull out?
Do you pull on canvas which would also pull out the seal or do you need to pull out the seal first.
I have not purchased new seal as old one looks ok from outside and was not available on website so keen to retain old seal.
I will make a tool that has been mentioned her by James tomorrow.
So if you guys can shed any light and maybe post a few more pictures as some of them I can't view would nuch appreciated.
Wish me luck

Dav

I know this is an old post but thought I'd add to it as I found it really helpful replacing the canvas on my '98 Westy.

I had trouble checking out on the Gunzl site which is possibly due to Brexit so I sourced my canvas from Brikwerks... https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/t4-parts/t4-westfalia/roof-canvas-t4-westfalia-late-grey.html

Quality and fit was spot on and it also came with an extra window at the front - this is the canvas for the later model but they do the earlier one as well.

To remove the old canvas, I first removed the rubber seal at the bottom from the outside of the van (be very careful not to snap it!). As others have noted, you do not need to touch any screws etc for the bottom, that rubber seal is all that is keeping it in place. Next I undid the aluminium sections in the top of the roof piece by piece. After removing each segment, I took the canvas out and then replaced the section very loosely.

To refit, I did the top first. As all the aluminium profile was in place but loosely, I was able to tuck the canvas in and then tighten the strips up bit by bit. This keeps the canvas in place but isn't yet fitted as the screws need to go through the canvas. I found it a great way of checking everything was in the right place though. Once happy with the positioning, I then lowered the aluminium profile section by section and then secured each piece properly by screwing through the canvas.

I then replaced the bottom seal, trapping the fabric at the base. I started with the back of the roof before working towards the front. When at the front, I lowered the roof, using some blocks of wood to hold it partially open, to take the slack out of the canvas so I could fit it in the seal. I used a bike tyre lever to help push the rubber seal into place - much easier than trying to use your thumbs and I guess equivalent to the tool referred to earlier in this thread.

Took me about 4 hours on my own with a bit of wind thrown in for good measure. I used an electric driver to save my arms for some of the screws and found a small adjustable screw driver really useful for some of the fiddly screws around the hinges at the back of the roof. Only other useful bit of kit I used was a little clamp - I used this to hold the canvas in place a bit further up from where I was screwing in to stop the wind blowing it everywhere.

Hope that helps anyone else taking it on.

On the Dutch VW forums people often refer to the following 'manual' with photo's, which i believe has helped many people do a DIY when replacing the canvas. I used a google translate link, so the explanations that go with the photo's are in English. It's not my manual btw, so no credit to me. Just sharing it, because I know it has been helpful for many people so far.

On the Dutch VW forums people often refer to the following 'manual' with photo's, which i believe has helped many people do a DIY when replacing the canvas. I used a google translate link, so the explanations that go with the photo's are in English. It's not my manual btw, so no credit to me. Just sharing it, because I know it has been helpful for many people so far.

Might be useful posting that Manual in the Resources section on the Forum then it can be easily found?

Absolutely agree, but I feel it's not mine to post there, as I didn't write it, just referred to it.

All,

Please find attached photos of my recent roof canvas replacement.

Not a bad job to do, started at about lunchtime on Sunday and finished 1st atage at 8pm. This just left the bottom seal to secure, I made a special tool to help push the bottom seal in (also used Fairy liquid/water on the seal), this was the only difficult part of the swap.

Regards,
James.

View attachment 1347 View attachment 1348 View attachment 1350 View attachment 1351 View attachment 1352
Hello James, I see from photo’s you managed to replace your canvas on a T4 California by yourself ?
I need to replace my canvas on a T4 California Event 2002
I was told this was a two man difficult job but your photos show you doing this on your own with no need to remove the roof !!??

Please could you help me ?
David

Back