Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T4 fridge and controller

J

jps

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hi there, so I have had my t4 cal for about a year now and love it!
Really has changed my life!
Had a few issues tho with the usual fridge etc.
So looked at a lot of info on here and it’s a great help. I had the usual issue with the fan kicking in then off again on the fridge. Followed the info on here and the fridge seems to work ok when I bypass the thermostat. Fan and fridge kick in and the cooler gets cold.
the control panel was working fine but now I can’t turn the fridge on and off or adjust the temp. When I press the frost button on the controller I get 3 dash lines at the top with a degrees C next to it.
Any ideas?
Cheers
Jon

Jon,

Aside from the stuff on here there is good intel on the Penguin refrigeration website.

In my experience there are three stages.

Swap/bypass the stat.
Replace the control box
Re-gas.

A combo of the above will fix it.

I’ve been through this several times but can’t recall the exact details.

It does sound like your control box is shot.

They’re not too expensive so it’s worth getting one to try. If it’s not that then you at least have a spare to keep in the van. I have a spare. You’re welcome to try it if you’re anywhere near Oxford or Milton Keynes?

P.

Actually first thing to ensure is you have at least 10.4v in your batteries. Below that the fridge drops out.

Great thank you. Do you have a link on where to buy a new one from?
So the batteries are not great, but the charger works so on hook up the heater works. Would this not be the same for the fridge?

Correct. If the heater works then so should the fridge. Both drop out at 10.4v

Actually first thing to ensure is you have at least 10.4v in your batteries. Below that the fridge drops out.
10.4 is dead and damaged. I think the heater and fridge cut out around 11.6.Screen Shot 2019-12-02 at 4.59.55 PM.png

Sorry, just noticed it's a T4, don't know if the above table applies.

Sorry, just noticed it's a T4, don't know if the above table applies.
The batteries are the same. Lower than 11.6V is not good for a battery. T4 or T5 doesn't matter.
10.4V is 1 cell broken. (about 2,1V per cell).