Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

swapping 3 seat bench (+multiflex etc) for 2 seat bench

kp64zl

kp64zl

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I've seen a Beach that's probably nearly perfect for my needs (on paper at least) other than it has a 3 seat bench.

How much hassle, cost, would it be to swap for the 2 seat version? would the resale value of the 3 seat bench approximate the cost of a 2 seat (+associated multiflex boards, storage box mattresses etc)? Or should I wait...

Last edited:
I've seen a Beach that's probably nearly perfect for my needs (on paper at least) other than it has a 3 seat bench.

How much hassle, cost, would it be to swap for the 2 seat version? would the resale value of the 3 seat bench approximate the cost of a 2 seat (+associated multiflex boards, storage box mattresses etc)? Or should I wait...
I think I have read that the 3 seater Beach is more common than the 2 seater version.

If that is correct then I very much doubt your supposition would be correct. More likely the 2 seater bench + ancillary items would be at a premium and the 3 seat bench at a significant discount.

If it's nearly perfect and that's the only issue then are you certain that the three seater bench wouldn't be just as practical?

I certainly think the two seat beach has a lot going for it., lower more comfortable bed, storage box and cooler (I don't like to use the term fridge for it) ;)

On the flip side the 3 seat has more storage under the multiplex, an extra seat and can take 2 seats more if you so desire. The 2 seater can only support one extra seat.

I must admit I do wonder if a 2 seat beach would have been good for me. For those who the camping aspect is more important it may be a better choice, for those who the people and luggage carrying is more important then the 3 seat is good.

Both have the same 4 rail system so you will be fine there. It may however be expensive to get the 2 seat bench.

You can buy the box for about £150 but the bench is the (edited) similar to an ocean and can be hard to come by. I expect the cost from VW may be a few thousand. You would also need to change the multiflex board as that will be a different height too.

Good thread here: https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/2-seater-or-3-seater-beach.18864/

Last edited:
I certainly think the two seat beach has a lot going for it., lower more comfortable bed, storage box and cooler (I don't like to use the term fridge for it) ;)

On the flip side the 3 seat has more storage under the multiplex, an extra seat and can take 2 seats more if you so desire. The 2 seater can only support one extra seat.

I must admit I do wonder if a 2 seat beach would have been good for me. For those who the camping aspect is more important it may be a better choice, for those who the people and luggage carrying is more important then the 3 seat is good.

Both have the same 4 rail system so you will be fine there. It may however be expensive to get the 2 seat bench.

You can buy the box for about £150 but the bench is the same as an ocean and can be hard to come by. I expect the cost from VW may be a few thousand. You would also need to change the multiflex board as that will be a different height too.

Good thread here: https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/2-seater-or-3-seater-beach.18864/
The bench is not exactly the same as the Ocean, it has no folding headrests which is a pain. Every time we make the bed up we have to take them out and store them under the bed. We love the two seater version as we are more camping based rather than transporting people. One other pain is that the two seater multi flex board is not foldable. It is fixed and totally inflexible, which is a pity when transporting things in the back while in city mode.It can be taken out but its very heavy.

Back