Californication69

Californication69

Bill
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
I spoke with Graham at Camperkjngs.
He mentioned users of 6.1 who bought swamper larger (not recommended wheel & tyre combo)
Have been returning to recommended sizes after adaptive cruise had major issues with the wrong tyre size on.
Wondered if any one has encountered this who has adaptive cruise ?

I spoke with Graham at Camperkjngs.
He mentioned users of 6.1 who bought swamper larger (not recommended wheel & tyre combo)
Have been returning to recommended sizes after adaptive cruise had major issues with the wrong tyre size on.
Wondered if any one has encountered this who has adaptive cruise ?
Mine is a T6 so not sure if my experience is of any help but I have 18” wheels and BSG KS02's with adaptive cruise and no issues whatsoever. As an aside the speedo isn’t over reading either.

Interesting. Some big German & Austrian dealerships seem to be routinely fitting 255/55R18 to their brand new T6.1s . Maybe there is a coding that needs to be done. There must be a way round it or they wouldn’t get TUV approval which is pretty strict.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have General Grabber AT3 235/55/18 on my T6 with adaptive cruise and no problems.
I would be surprised that you could get a wider than 255 on an Ocean due to the side door hitting the tyre?
What size did he say had issues?

Mine is a T6 so not sure if my experience is of any help but I have 18” wheels and BSG KS02's with adaptive cruise and no issues whatsoever. As an aside the speedo isn’t over reading either.
If my geometry is correct, larger wheel tyre combinations would lead to an under reading on the speedo not an over reading.
One Revolution of the wheel would take you further than the car calculated.

I have General Grabber AT3 235/55/18 on my T6 with adaptive cruise and no problems.
I would be surprised that you could get a wider than 255 on an Ocean due to the side door hitting the tyre?
What size did he say had issues?
Any other size not written on the side of the tyre display panel.

https://www.willtheyfit.com/

This is a good site to compare wheel/tyre combinations and impact on speedo readings.
Yep, really very good.
I’m just torn between General Grabber AT3
And CC2 ( but which one?)
235/55 or like the ones I’m running now
255/45.
I’ve heard 255/45 have a softer ride.
(Which makes no sense as thinner sidewall)

We’re going for Delta wheels with Loder AT tyres

We’re going for Delta wheels with Loder AT tyres
It’s a real dilemma, over wanting to be able to get off a campsite with wet grass and driving 85% on the motorway.

If my geometry is correct, larger wheel tyre combinations would lead to an under reading on the speedo not an over reading.
One Revolution of the wheel would take you further than the car calculated.

I’m sure that’s correct, geometry wasn’t one of my strong subjects! The T6 allows for Speedo to be adjusted to take into account larger wheel/tyre combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, really very good.
I’m just torn between General Grabber AT3
And CC2 ( but which one?)
235/55 or like the ones I’m running now
255/45.
I’ve heard 255/45 have a softer ride.
(Which makes no sense as thinner sidewall)
I did about 500 miles on the original 255 45 18 but found them harsh over bumps. They were good if you wanted to drive faster especially in the twisty bits. But having changed to CC2s, I have found them quieter (albeit running 39 psi all round). I also had no problem getting out of soft ground at the last site I went to. All wheels had sunk about an inch or two, I left with no wheel spin. Now could have been the tyres or 4motion, or a combination of both.

I did about 500 miles on the original 255 45 18 but found them harsh over bumps. They were good if you wanted to drive faster especially in the twisty bits. But having changed to CC2s, I have found them quieter (albeit running 39 psi all round). I also had no problem getting out of soft ground at the last site I went to. All wheels had sunk about an inch or two, I left with no wheel spin. Now could have been the tyres or 4motion, or a combination of both.
Good intel.
I think I should lean towards CC2, as 85 / 90 % will be on the highway.
No point going for the swamper look unless I really want the noise and less mpg.

I’m sure that’s correct, geometry wasn’t one of my strong subjects! The T6 allows for Speedo to be adjusted to take into account larger wheel/tyre combo.

Correct, you also lose torque at the wheels and your gearshift points will be different which can be a bit of a pain on motorway inclines etc.

Can you input a specific tyre size on the infotainment system or does it have to be one of the recommended sizes on the door pillar sticker ?

Correct, you also lose torque at the wheels and your gearshift points will be different which can be a bit of a pain on motorway inclines etc.

Can you input a specific tyre size on the infotainment system or does it have to be one of the recommended sizes on the door pillar sticker ?

This might help?

My T6.1 is fitted with 275-45 tyres on 20" rims. (The conversion company offered only a limited choice of non-budget tyres and the Uniroyal Rainsport didn't come in 35 profile). It means the wheels are larger than usual and yes, the speedo reads 8% under actual to which I have adapted fairly easily.

Re the OP question about the ACC, mine does occasionally 'give up' and show the yellow deactivated triangle (sorry can't recall the exact message). When it does happen, it is usually after we turn on the engine and drive away.

I think ACC gets "confused" when it is switched on at departure and there is no 'target' in front of the van for the first mile or so. It seems to not happen when there is a moving vehicle in front of us.
So I tend to either give it something to detect after driving off, or switch it until there is something to detect in front of us. After that, ACC is fine.

Another way to recover the problem is to manually turn off the engine at the next traffic lights, restart it and ensure you have a a vehicle ahead of you.

My T6.1 is fitted with 275-45 tyres on 20" rims. (The conversion company offered only a limited choice of non-budget tyres and the Uniroyal Rainsport didn't come in 35 profile). It means the wheels are larger than usual and yes, the speedo reads 8% under actual to which I have adapted fairly easily.

Re the OP question about the ACC, mine does occasionally 'give up' and show the yellow deactivated triangle (sorry can't recall the exact message). When it does happen, it is usually after we turn on the engine and drive away.

I think ACC gets "confused" when it is switched on at departure and there is no 'target' in front of the van for the first mile or so. It seems to not happen when there is a moving vehicle in front of us.
So I tend to either give it something to detect after driving off, or switch it until there is something to detect in front of us. After that, ACC is fine.

Another way to recover the problem is to manually turn off the engine at the next traffic lights, restart it and ensure you have a a vehicle ahead of you.
I think you are correct and I’ve had the same happen to me whilst on the VW provided Palmerstons with 255/45R18.
I’ve had it happen after being on the motorway behind a car for 30 minutes, the ACC just gives up.
Yellow warning saying it’s not available right now. (Like it’s on a lunch break)
And you’re correct again, I pull into services. And after a 10 minute break, I pull onto the motorway and it works fine again.
Since putting on 225/65R17 Comforser CF1100 AT tyres on Tomahawk Kato’s, the ACC works absolutely fine all the way home from Wakefield. So what I was told about different sizing tyres on a 6.1 with ACC would make the ACC was a load of baloney.

Have you ever fitted snow chains to your 235/55R18? Is clearance ok? With 20mm narrower tyres on 8 inch rims is the rim more exposed to curbing? Thanks. H
Hi H,
My days of fitting snow chains are long behind me. The only reason for these tyres are muddy fields and being legal for a possible trip to Norway at the end of the year.

It could be the lower pressure, but there seems to be more tyre protecting the rims from kerbing with the CC2s.