Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Supplementary heaters and DAB

OGII

OGII

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Good Afternoon,

Apologies for the newbie ignorance but the VW manuals are great for telling you where to find controls but not explaining the best ways to use stuff ext.

My Beach is the late 2017 model, preregistered so the options weren't chosen by me.

The dealer advert didn't mention additional heaters so it was a pleasant surprise to find extra controls I didn't think would be there.

Can someone fill me in on exactly what these controls are? Have I got the full supplementary heater to use overnight, the coolant prewarming one for cold mornings or both? I've looked around the forum and found clues but I'm still not sure. My door has Webasto and Eberspacher stickers on it which suggest I've got 2 types...

And ultimate dumb question. I thought all T6 have DAB radio? I only get FM and AM options when I select radio? I've got the Discovery navigation head unit.

Big big thanks

M

20171223_152120.jpg

20171223_142024.jpg

20171223_151528.jpg

Hi oggi there were a batch of beaches that were built to German spec by mistake and didn't come with uk spec dab ....

Thanks Phillme,

Any other oddities to look out for?

The option codes sticker has some UK codes on it.

apparently it was something to do with the wiring behind the dashboard so it's not just a case of swapping the stereo over for a dab unit ... everything else is uk spec it's just that the dab is an optional extra in Germany ... but you look like you have both the engine pre heater and the parking heater so happy days on that front .

If the theories above are correct, I'd be glad it is this way around!
You can pick up the DAB T6 units up on ebay for £100 ish, and I suspect they would accept an aftermarket DAB aerial. Your unit may indeed be DAB equipped...not just enabled. Others will advise.

If you unexpectedly have the parking heater, then you've got the essential and expensive extra! Your Beach will stand out from the crowd when you come to sell.

I don't think it's just a theory as it happened to me and it's what i was told by vw .... but then again half of what vw says is unbelievable .... so who knows !

At the end of the day VW will / should fit DAB radio system that you should have foc without fuss.

edit - as dealer had already registerd van perhaps not

does the dab option only come up if dab us available in the area? try it again somewhere else. and yes you have both heaters. my beach is the same. the webasto one will only kick in during cold weather. below 5 degrees I think. you have no control over that. the eberspacher is the one you show the controls for near the drivers mirror. the heater lives under the sliding door somewhere and vents heat through the drivers door pillar. you should be able to see the outlet grills. the webasto lives on the opposite side and exhausts under the passenger side wheel arch when running. gives the coolant a heat boost in cold weather

the webasto one will only kick in during cold weather. below 5 degrees I think. you have no control over that. the eberspthe outlet grills.
After nearly ten months of Beach ownership, I am still learning about the heating system. Last month I learnt about the 'rest' button, and Clare is eternally grateful. No more shivering in the van while I erect my pump up awning - she rests in heated comfort while I battle the elements to get it stiff.

And now I've learned that I cannot control the Webasto. Just today I was reading the manual to try to work out how to use it. The manual suggests pressing the Mode button to switch control between Webasto and Ebersbacher, but the Mode button appears to have no effect. The control is for the Ebersbacher alone.

But I did learn how to set and deactivate the child lock. Very handy with 2 and 4 year old inquisitive hands around.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

I agree with 2into1, I would check with the dealer, the dab option may just not be enabled but doesnt necessarily mean its not in there. It could be software that just needs enabling, someone with VCDS could probably check.

My van didn't have bluetooth for example and I enabled it myself in software. Saved myself a few hundred quid, in the process I accidentally disabled DAB for a while until I worked it out.

Unfortunately its not easy to tell if its a DAB aerial as it is in hidden in the nearside mirror on the t6 apparently.

Last edited:
Many thanks for all the replies, very helpful. Before I start asking questions at the dealer does anyone now if this Eberspacher model should have come with a remote fob? The options list suggests it's remote controlled but the manual doesn't mention it. Main controls are as pictured in first post.

Many thanks for all the replies, very helpful. Before I start asking questions at the dealer does anyone now if this Eberspacher model should have come with a remote fob? The options list suggests it's remote controlled but the manual doesn't mention it. Main controls are as pictured in first post.
I believe the Remote is an Optional Extra.
Unfortunately it is not just a case of buying a remote either. If the Remote Option was not ordered originally then the Receiver Unit may not be installed.
There should be an Options Sticker in your Handbook or on the Front Seat base, normally R Hand seat that will tell you which Options were ordered.

THe option codes are inside the front cover of the Service Schedule booklet in my new California Beach.Use http://igorweb.org/equidec.aspx - I have ...

X13 = National sales program Europe (RHD)
B0B = Component parts set, complying with vehicle type for Austria, various parts
V21 = Suspension range 221
G0K = 6-speed manual transmission
H67 = Tires 215/65 R16C 106/104T optimized rolling resistance
J2D = Battery 380 A (68 Ah)
DN4 = 4-cyl. turbo dies. eng. 2.0 l/110 kW 4V TDI common rail Base engine is TS1/TR1
1AK = Electronic stabilization program (ESP) with brake assistant
1G2 = Steel spare wheel with original equipment tires
2ZH = Leather multi-function steering wheel
1NL = Covers for alloy wheels
5RV = Right exterior mirror: aspherical
5SJ = Left exterior mirror: convex
T29 = code not found :-(
3S4 = Preparation for roof load rack
3U1 = Foldable trunk cover
QI8 = Service indicator 40,000 km or 2 year ( variable )
8AY = Radio/navigation system
8GV = Alternator 180 A
2S3 = Pop-up roof
1BA = Standard suspension/shock absorption
7MM = Emission standard EU6 plus
0E1 = Short wheelbase
4UF = Drivers and front passenger air bag with front passenger air bag deactivation
4X3 = Side air bag front with curtain air bag
4R1 = Power windows
4K3 = Radio remote controlled central locking operated from inside and safe securing
N0N = Woven fabric seat covering
5TC = Without decorative inserts
8RL = 6 speakers (passive)
2JG = Body-colored bumpers
E0A = No special edition
2V2 = Dust and pollen filter air outlet in drivers compartment
0JE = Weight category front axle weight range 5
0YC = Weight range 3 installation control only, no requirement forecast
1DD = Nameplate set "V6 TDI"
A9A = California "Beach"
8IA = Halogen headlight
A9A = California "Beach"
8IA = Halogen headlight
U5B = Instrument insert, mph speedometer Great Britain
1N1 = Power steering
3L0 = Without special seat adjustment
4A3 = Seat heater for front seats separately controlled
8N1 = Windshield wiper intermittent control

Did not think I had heated seats? (Where is the switch?)

Heated seat switch is in the middle of the heater control knobs. Just press it and you get three lights for the hottest setting, press again you get two and so on.

Just found out the heated seat buttons would be on far left & right of the panel of the 6 buttons/switches above the three dials.Mine are blanks - odd as I have the code in the service book. 4A3 = Seat heater for front seats separately controlled

carwow-california-test-VW_7296.jpg

my first attempt at owning a cali was misbuilt by VW without DAB. Apparently the ariel for the DAB is missing and should be behind the dash and into the wingmirrors. I was offered an aftermarket fix which involoved putting a black box "somewhere", putting an ariel on the front windscreen and the new DAB would have been operated via the steering wheel controls and the screen buttons are disabled in the new DAB mode. But as I didn't have steering wheel controls this wouldnt have worked and I declined this fix and the van in the end. VW seemed to think, in my case, the DAB was completely un-fixable which seems extraordinary but I wasn't prepared to pay full price for a misbuilt van which is what they seemed to expect!

Back