Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Suggestions for rear storage on outside of Cali?

markheathcote

markheathcote

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Hello campers... for longer trips where we need more storage (2 adults, two dogs, guitar, wet conditions, self sufficient) - A roof rack is not an option because a) I have two solar panels b) I want to stay under two meters c) I want to minimise impact on fuel efficiency, especially since I am 204ps 4 motion with diff lock. So, I am considering a bike rack (like the two bike rack from Fiamma) but with a storage bag added.

The Fiamma over Thule and VW for a few reasons - a) it looks more stylish b) it seems to stick out of the rear a lot less from what I can see (when no in use), almost adding no length, c) it comes in black with a 2 bike option (less sticky out shelf?).

But, it is still overkill for what I am trying to achieve.... does anyone have any suggestions for slimline, ideally black, tailgate external storage? I have no desire for adding bikes, it is purely to be able to add storage for longer trips. Thank you so much. (I don't have a tow bar)

Hello campers... for longer trips where we need more storage (2 adults, two dogs, guitar, wet conditions, self sufficient) - A roof rack is not an option because a) I have two solar panels b) I want to stay under two meters c) I want to minimise impact on fuel efficiency, especially since I am 204ps 4 motion with diff lock. So, I am considering a bike rack (like the two bike rack from Fiamma) but with a storage bag added.

The Fiamma over Thule and VW for a few reasons - a) it looks more stylish b) it seems to stick out of the rear a lot less from what I can see (when no in use), almost adding no length, c) it comes in black with a 2 bike option (less sticky out shelf?).

But, it is still overkill for what I am trying to achieve.... does anyone have any suggestions for slimline, ideally black, tailgate external storage? I have no desire for adding bikes, it is purely to be able to add storage for longer trips. Thank you so much. (I don't have a tow bar)
Have you thought about moving the bench seat forward for travelling. That creates more boot space.

We are a family of 4 and we take a v small pop up Decathlon pup tent and chuck lots of stuff in it when we arrive.

I’ve also seen people who take things in quite secure plastic boxes and then store them under the van on arrival.

Get a roof box and don’t worry about solar? Can’t you fit both anyway? Roof box didn’t effect mpg for us. Bikes on the back weirdly did.

thanks, I should have said, the long trips are touring and wild, so we won't be using pop up tents or staying places for more than 1 night... I think bringing the seats forward only works if you have a pop up tent or similar in situ for several days in which to dump stuff before setting up the Cali lounge area.

There's no room on the roof, I have two solar panels installed to keep everything running and self sufficient :) so not much roof room... aero dynamics would suffer greatly on the way up to say Scotland from Kent even if I could create my own small one (which actually I am doing so I can hook a net over, but mainly for storing black bin bags for a few hours before we dispose of them).

As I believe Granny Jen once said “if you need a roofbox, you’ve got the wrong van”….

I used to use 2 x Thule Easy Bags, 1 on the bike rack 1 on the tow bar using an Thule Easy base.
Stupidly sold them for peanuts.

As I believe Granny Jen once said “if you need a roofbox, you’ve got the wrong van”….
Def the right van, but needs maximising for certain situations once or twice a year at most... it works as is 95% of the trips we do - doing a tour though I want some extra storage for some extra kit to accommodate bad weather conditions on a road trip (and to keep bin bag smells outside the van). It's easy to do with a bike rack (with some bits removed) and a storage bag attached to it... I am just trying to minimise the footprint of it (width and van length) and hoping someone has done similar...
best solution so far is Fiamma 2 bike rack in black with a big bag tied on.

I used to use 2 x Thule Easy Bags, 1 on the bike rack 1 on the tow bar using an Thule Easy base.
Stupidly sold them for peanuts.
yeah, saw those but I don't have a tow bar, but you get what I am trying to achieve.

yeah, saw those but I don't have a tow bar, but you get what I am trying to achieve.
would love to see photos if you have a chance... thanks. (my photo shows my former van, I now have a Westfalia Kepler 1)

Solved it with a rear trashpack attached to the bike rack (just left bike rack up and strapped it around).... much bigger than they look and avoided wet stuff in the van, plus bin bags went in here until we could dispose.... video coming imminently of our NC500 trip which also shows our trash pak .. this is very similar but not identical to ours (I sourced from the US before seeing this)... https://amzn.to/3P5ebnz

Screenshot 2023-06-10 094948.png

Back