Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Subtle mods?

Hi All,

Found 1 or two threads on mods to the cali but interested on peoples thoughts on doing exterior mods. Got my T6 Cali a couple of weeks ago, love it but i can't help but think it would look a lot better slightly lower with different wheels and some side bars.
Does this effect re-sale value on a Cali? is it best to keep standard? Also, i wouldn't want to effect my warranty.

I was thinking maybe keep relatively standard looking by doing just a 30mm drop at VW, sportline wheels, black sidebars etc, maybe black out the pillars.Think my white Cali would look good with that. Any suggestions or pics of what you've done?

View attachment 51111

View attachment 51112

View attachment 51113
[/QUOTE
awww thanks @westfalia !
Ok, I reckon one of the most aesthetically pleasing things you can do, and it's VERY subtle, is to put the black decal on the 'B' Pillar - makes the van look lower and longer/sleeker. Here's a few of mine (came standard with black B pillars). I have Bilstein B14s (-70mm which is more than I want) and 20" Vossen CV7 wheels in Matte Graphite. 18" concave wheels with a wider offset than standard would be a cool mod - fill the arches outwardly without sacrificing ride quality etc. In danger of rambling here so:
BEFORE:
View attachment 51126
HALFWAY
View attachment 51129
AFTER
View attachment 51127View attachment 51128
See what I mean about the black B pillar? View attachment 51125View attachment 51130
Absolutely love those Vossen alloys, I was considering putting graphite wheels on my Beach Edition as everyone seems to go for gloss black. Yours look the business ! , so that is definitely the way for me to go.Great pics.

Hi All,

Found 1 or two threads on mods to the cali but interested on peoples thoughts on doing exterior mods. Got my T6 Cali a couple of weeks ago, love it but i can't help but think it would look a lot better slightly lower with different wheels and some side bars.
Does this effect re-sale value on a Cali? is it best to keep standard? Also, i wouldn't want to effect my warranty.

I was thinking maybe keep relatively standard looking by doing just a 30mm drop at VW, sportline wheels, black sidebars etc, maybe black out the pillars.Think my white Cali would look good with that. Any suggestions or pics of what you've done?

View attachment 51111

View attachment 51112

View attachment 51113
I agree with tuono001, just enjoy having the California. I’m not keen on white vans they look a bit plain, but I must admit with the right mods they can look very different. Since I bought my Candy White California beach, I have spent a fare bit on mods and essential bits and pieces.Still have more to do to but it’s an ongoing project as I hope to keep mine for some years.
At present I’ve added a rear ABS carbon effect rear bumper skid plate.
Orange bumper trim and mirror trim, front gloss badge.
Wind deflectors, and. screen cover thanks to Fuellagoon.
I think the trim breaks up the white a little bit, springs, wheels and splitter to come next hopefully..
Happy shopping !!

9D44EE50-F2D8-4221-9DB6-D69C608F5730.jpeg

4E93E505-813D-4A70-831A-169D70D70342.jpeg

DB02C14F-D56E-42CB-9AEC-85855AFCF716.jpeg

awww thanks @westfalia !
Ok, I reckon one of the most aesthetically pleasing things you can do, and it's VERY subtle, is to put the black decal on the 'B' Pillar - makes the van look lower and longer/sleeker. Here's a few of mine (came standard with black B pillars). I have Bilstein B14s (-70mm which is more than I want) and 20" Vossen CV7 wheels in Matte Graphite. 18" concave wheels with a wider offset than standard would be a cool mod - fill the arches outwardly without sacrificing ride quality etc. In danger of rambling here so:
BEFORE:
View attachment 51126
HALFWAY
View attachment 51129
AFTER
See what I mean about the black B pillar? View attachment 51125View attachment 51130
Hi @s2bear
Can I just ask ? We’re those 20’ Vossen a straight fit or did you have spacers fitted too.

Hi @s2bear
Can I just ask ? We’re those 20’ Vossen a straight fit or did you have spacers fitted too.

Hi, they’re a straight fit but need spiggot rings as the centre bore on the wheel is slightly larger than on the van. No spacers.

There’s about 1mm clearance between tyre and door card when you open the sliding door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

awww thanks @westfalia !
BEFORE:
View attachment 51126
HALFWAY
View attachment 51129
AFTER
Hi, they’re a straight fit but need spiggot rings as the centre bore on the wheel is slightly larger than on the van. No spacers.

There’s about 1mm clearance between tyre and door card when you open the sliding door.

Thanks for the info,
I’ve looked at that many different styles, still not decided ! Love your Cali, matte graphite definitely the right colour with a white van looks stunning, so much better than gloss black and it’s nice to be different ! Cheers

awww thanks @westfalia !
BEFORE:
View attachment 51126
HALFWAY
View attachment 51129
AFTER
You just need to get a black bike rack then your setup is perfect.

Found this one of the grill, still to do the lower one.Studio_20191006_102827.jpg

Hi All,

How far do you want to go?

California.jpg

What shall we do next? Thinking black out the B pillar, black side stripes like on the edition...but would that look weird on a dark van?

Edit: Also considering front splitter and lowering a touch.

Thoughts?

fullsizeoutput_3c31.jpeg

Last edited:
Roof spoiler...

Mine keeping 17" wheels but 7.5" instead of 7" width. 1320kgs load rated. winter grade paint.
On Bilstein Air suspension with H&R ARB's. Front & rear spoilers.

20190816_111159[1].jpg

You can buy silver or red side decals for A better contrast. Air suspension

Any suggestions on how to - as per thread title - subtly perk our 'new' T5.1 up a bit? I'm definitely not looking to turn it into something off Pimp My Ride, but I think there's room for some improvement.
IMG_0347.JPG

IMG_0349.JPG

IMG_0346.JPG

IMG_0348.JPG

At the moment I'm thinking of some chrome strips for the wing mirrors (presumably the Cali mirrors are the same as stock T5.1?) and the same for the bottom of the tailgate, although the VW pricing is making me wince at bit about the latter.I'll be putting a VW bike rack on the back at some point, so I think that will preclude a spoiler? I will almost certainly be driving around fields in it, so don't want to lower it and have a splitter 10mm off the floor.

Any suggestions on how to - as per thread title - subtly perk our 'new' T5.1 up a bit? I'm definitely not looking to turn it into something off Pimp My Ride, but I think there's room for some improvement.
View attachment 55591

View attachment 55592

View attachment 55593

View attachment 55594

At the moment I'm thinking of some chrome strips for the wing mirrors (presumably the Cali mirrors are the same as stock T5.1?) and the same for the bottom of the tailgate, although the VW pricing is making me wince at bit about the latter.I'll be putting a VW bike rack on the back at some point, so I think that will preclude a spoiler? I will almost certainly be driving around fields in it, so don't want to lower it and have a splitter 10mm off the floor.
Don't forget the Radio Antenna are in the wing mirrors and some covers etc: can play havoc with reception.

We decided
9dd588c59f3f96685b2ac453048aab50.jpg
b9327d2a95a4939d58e971716951a52b.jpg
ded61f4195b709b12dc1ccc68826fa49.jpg
6215bbf84042804f5ee973b4c81acb33.jpg
f185794fdd8db4e166906540b719eb65.jpg
to wrap our white van first. Great thread, loads of ideas what to do next. Starting with the b pillar back out - looks fab

Love a roof spoiler - but doesn’t that mean the tailgate bike rack has to go?
This type allows a rack to fit. shown on a van, cali roof is higher so not so much up in the air plus I believe about the same as folded bike rack.

Posted on the what have you bought for your cali today thread but thought i would update here too. Cascavel wheels and a Maxton gloss black splitter added.

IMG_5692.jpegIMG_5691.jpegIMG_5689.jpeg

Back