Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Stupid beginners question

Explorer

Explorer

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
I have a new MY20 Cali that has been sitting in the garage for a couple of months waiting for lockdown release.
Its my first one and i have never owned a diesel either.

So my totally stupid question is this: I know about not doing frequent short journeys in relation to the dpf management, but if i turn the engine on to take it out of the garage so that i can tinker with it - then a few hours later turn the engine back on and move it back into the garage....is this sort of use going to mess with the dpf?

I am going to take it out tomorrow for an hour to make sure everything is okay assuming the engine starts after storage! Yikes.

again - sorry if this is a ridiculously stupid question!
Yv

I have a new MY20 Cali that has been sitting in the garage for a couple of months waiting for lockdown release.

So my totally stupid question is this: I know about not doing frequent short journeys in relation to the dpf management, but if i turn the engine on to take it out of the garage so that i can tinker with it - then a few hours later turn the engine back on and move it back into the garage....is this sort of use going to mess with the dpf?

I am going to take it out tomorrow for an hour to make sure everything is okay assuming the engine starts after storage! Yikes.

Yv
Hi Explorer,

your question is not a stupid question.

the advice regarding short journey relates to frequent short journeys where the engine does not reach operating temp.

moving your Cali from the Garage and returning it will not be a problem.

Yv
No, that should be fine. After all they move vehicles around at a garage all the time. Just make sure you plug the vehicle into the mains for at least 12hrs at a time, monthly, to keep the Leisure Batteries in good condition as per Handbook and its a good idea to fire up the Parking Heater for a hour on a monthly basis.

Yv
Oh no please ask away as it will save me asking all the stupid questions all the time!
Thank you as I was wondering this too!!

@Explorer , as others have said, a reasonable question and one which I think also has a solution - if that works for you.

You may have heard about a device called a CARISTA on these forums. It is a small dongle that you connect into the OBD port of the van. In addition to changing various config options, the CARISTA also allows you to monitor parameters - and in this case, the amount of soot buildup in the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF), and also allows you to enable a Regen (the process of burning the Diesel Particulates in the DPF) when parked up on your drive.

DPF Regen need not worry you, if you are able to monitor the level of particulates and do a regen when required. It is when left unmonitored that soot can build up and it can cause issues with the engine and the exhaust system.

The CARISTA itself can be purchased off Amazon for about £25. You get a one month free subscription to the app, which you can install on your Android or IOS mobile. Get an annual subscription to the Carista app, and this will allow you to live worry free about the DPF when the van is used for short distances or not used much. DPF will not longer be the mystery item. Just a metal can, that fills up with soot and if not cleaned can gunk up and cause issues to the vehicle.

Hope this information helps and apologies if you were already aware of some of the details. This info may help others who search and come across this thread. :thumb