Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Still in pondering mode...

M

maui2512

Guest User
Hi
Just starting the journey and doing some voyeuring on what options and solutions others have ended up with. Based in North Surrey with 3 little kids (3,5 8) and hubby.

My Dad has converted his own T4 and I've always had a bit of a thing for campers and van driving (used to work for my dad in school/uni holidays doing deliveries in his truck!)...I went out in his van with the kids last week, with all the bikes on the back, stopped for soup and a picnic en route and realised how much I REALLY WANT my own van! We did a motorhome holiday in Switzerland when the first two kids were 7 months, and 3 years, old, and I still think it was the best holiday I've ever had.

So, anyway, we had been thinking about buying a new 7 seater car this summer and I was pretty glum at the options around. We love doing bike trips etc now that they can all ride their bikes and would love to have the freedom to just easily load up the van and head off for the day. So now, completely overexcited that I've found out about Caravelles and Cali Beach vans...I don't think we'll necessarily be camping in it too much (I think we would probably buy an awning tent or a standalone tent to all sleep in given there are 5 of us) but would be great to have the option perhaps to just do the odd night away just the two of us...

So I'm now pondering on whether I'd be best just going with a Caravelle and using it pretty much as a MPV and having the option to put in a roof, awnings etc at some point, or whether I should just go straight for a Cali Beach (which I think does it more for me if I'm honest). I've been mulling over around benefit of having double sliding doors on the Caravelle... Guess we'd just get a little camping stove and fridge fitted in on either of them, together with the 2 additional seats.

So, that's pretty much where I'm at, at the moment...looking forward to reading more and learning more, and probably should go and have a test drive and look at them both before I do too much more!
J

If you're thinking of occasional camping then I'd opt for the beach. The factory-fitted roof is so much better than any aftermarket version & the interior finish looks streets ahead. You can also get removable kitchen pods designed for the beach (search on here) but I think they may also fit a velle.

Velle is still good if you don't think you'll ever need a roof I'd say.

Good luck with the hunt!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi I think fitting a pop up roof to a caravelle is problematic due to the air con vents I would
Also choose a beach :thumb

Velle will give you more for your money and it will it will have more luxury. Camping in the Velle is not impossible but aside from the sleep pack you'll obviously lack the pop top. When the Velle seat is in its bed position, like the three seater Beach it is quite high and you can feel restricted. In the three seat Beach you can simply put up the roof.

The Beach feels more characterful, they are all 'vans' at the end of the day but I like the character of the Beach and for me, it feels quite retro and more akin to a Vw Camper/Multivan/Microbus.

Aside from the roof, the Beach is based on a european Multivan Startline, so you get the table in the sliding door and side trim that contains oodles of storage space. Yes, having two sliding doors is very practical but one allows VW to build in some great storage and it's cosier when camping. VW also put the fold away chairs from the Cali in the boot.

Some good deals on the Beach now and some good nearly new/demos around.

James

great advice already, and I'm only on day 1 of being a member of the forum - thanks guys!

Yes, I agree, the beach appeals more aesthetically to me than the velle (see me getting in with the lingo) and i like the fact that it comes ready done without me having to traipse around finding people to do the additional work (which with working and with 3 little kids just won't happen any time soon!). I now just need to rein myself in and not get too over-excited...I always just want things straight away once i've got my mind set on something! I'm already spending FAR too long persuing forums, websites etc!!

thanks all. Will let you know how I get on!

That's great - there's a good range of experience in the Beach section, different specs, mods, types of van etc.

It's become a great resource, for example, understanding the difference between the two seater and three seater rear bench versions for example.

We've even discussed where to put a coolbox.

We looked at buying a Velle first and it just didn't compare, lovely vehicles but the Beach just had a something. What we've found is that the longer we own the Beach the more we like it. There only two of us so you might think, what use is a large van for just two people, but it's proved amazingly versatile and we sometimes wonder how we would go back to a regular car.

I've also noticed that once people see a Beach, sit inside, have a look, they love them. There are downsides, you could argue that value for money is not a strong point and the options list is long but how many cars or vehicles can you buy that give you something more than a means to get from a to b.

The Velle is lovely, the Beach is cool :)

James