Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Starlink - Global internet

I just got back from the wilderness there (multi day XC Ski tour) was no reception for days. Quite some villages without coverage as well.
We took a taxi home from Kebnats to Kiruna and 80% of the 2.5hour drive there was no reception at all. So this would be very useful.

Also in iceland's interior this could be a life saver in some situations avoiding the need for satphone. But I'm not here to discuss the need, I see a need for where I love to travel.
I wanted to know if anyone already installed this? In US it seems quite some RV's have it already. But they're bigger.

This is the flat RV-ready version of their dish, labelled

FLAT HIGH PERFORMANCE​

Apparently can provide continuous coverage while driving.
They now also market Aviation and Ships. So tech-wise it's ready..

You need a very clear and unobstructed view of the sky for these. See all the YouTube videos. If you are anywhere near trees or mountains it can be a big problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone seen a gadget to mount a Starlink Dishy on a roof bar or use the standard 6.1 California roof slots? Not for use in motion, but to keep it away from footballs and dogs, which it seems to attract when on the ground..

Has anyone seen a gadget to mount a Starlink Dishy on a roof bar or use the standard 6.1 California roof slots? Not for use in motion, but to keep it away from footballs and dogs, which it seems to attract when on the ground..

The Pivot mount should work I would think?

So has anyone successfully mounted a Starlink Roam to his California?
This would be just brilliant, reception in areas without cover like iceland or lapland, the areas where a california shines.
Just bought the dishy 3 (rectangle, (standard)) for £99
Subscription is £75 a month.
But can upgrade to Roam which is £85 a month.
Can pause it and restart it when you like.
Going to make a mount for the T-track, and mount it on the pivot mount (£57) whilst stationary.
Cannot afford the $250 From San Fran for the square flat mount that you can mount flat on the roof.

Going to make a mount for the T-track, and mount it on the pivot mount (£57) whilst stationary.
Cannot afford the $250 From San Fran for the square flat mount that you can mount flat on the roof.
Trick WFH setup

Would love to compare notes - I have not yet had an issue with dishy on the ground, poles feel excessive so I was thinking of either a bodge with some roofbars or the method you mention with T track combined with pivot mount which feels the best compromise of cost , neatness, and extra height

Would love to compare notes - I have not yet had an issue with dishy on the ground, poles feel excessive so I was thinking of either a bodge with some roofbars or the method you mention with T track combined with pivot mount which feels the best compromise of cost , neatness, and extra height
I’d buy a pivot mount now whilst stocks last.
The cost has gone back up to £469 delivered for dishy mcflatface :D
And I got stickers :Nailbiting

I also feel the pivot mount the best.
As not going to drive with it on.
Can mount it, then switch on and let it come out of storage mode and then find it’s own best position to how I’m parked with the roof up.
Best of both worlds !

Moved around 6 times on the grass in the garden. Still on the 4 legged stand.
Might have a go at putting it on the roof.
But don’t want it to blow off the extension.
Need something heavy to stop it sliding off.
Then I’m going to stow it. Then start it up and scan the sky again.

On the extension roof now, so should have more view of the sky.
When it was on the grass & looking south with speeds of 220Mbps.
Now I get 167Mbps and it’s looking West.
IMG_6692.jpeg
IMG_6691.png

Painted the pivot mount satin black to match my airline rails and then mounted it on the high part of the roof. Now just need the Starlink which should arrive tomorrow!
3b3dceef736ad41d205473e03759c22f.jpg

ee823b6b3a87bb4b5fcf0aa69068b122.jpg

d57e9c8a9dc77837f44ac446779ccf73.jpg

Awesome !
Is there much movement left and right, from the bolt positions or fairly stable ?

It moves around but I’m keeping an eye on it. In Switzerland it’s best to have it facing North East. So far I’m pleased with these results. Sitting high in the mountains of Pilatus with poor mobile 4G or 5G:

3176bb09dad80600eaa7ac8fd8e99582.png

It moves around but I’m keeping an eye on it. In Switzerland it’s best to have it facing North East. So far I’m pleased with these results. Sitting high in the mountains of Pilatus with poor mobile 4G or 5G:

You’re not driving with it attached are you ?
Speed is going to be great with no 4&5G !

Absolutely not. But it’s quick and easy to remove the dish.

That’s good. Had me worried for a minute !
Yes, took me a few minutes to figure out the push button !
It’s a game changer. And for £99 it was a bargain.
Okay the £85 a month roam package is expensive, but I love you can pause it for however long you want.

That’s good. Had me worried for a minute !
Yes, took me a few minutes to figure out the push button !
It’s a game changer. And for £99 it was a bargain.
Okay the £85 a month roam package is expensive, but I love you can pause it for however long you want.

I “work from van” most of the time so this is simply incredible now

Back