Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Standing Start

Rob Feeney

Rob Feeney

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hi all! First newbie question, we have a 2019 199ps with DSG. I am really struggling to pull away from a standing start; I depress the accelerator and engine begins to make noise but no movement, then add a small amount more accelerator and the van takes off suddenly like a rocket.

Is this just something I need to adjust to with time?

Hi the dsg gearbox will take a while to get used to but it also learns your driving style and adapts which takes around 1500 miles

Hi all! First newbie question, we have a 2019 199ps with DSG. I am really struggling to pull away from a standing start; I depress the accelerator and engine begins to make noise but no movement, then add a small amount more accelerator and the van takes off suddenly like a rocket.

The DSG is not an Automatic Gearbox with a Torque Converter. It is basically 2 Manual Gearboxes.

Attachments

• DSG.pdf
    78.7 KB · Views: 68
Have you got it in D (Day Mode) or N (Night mode) - sounds like you have it in night mode to me ? we never use night mode just hopeless

Mine is the same and nearly 1500 miles and no improvement, it spoils an otherwise excellent vehicle imho.

Tom

I'm at nearly 5000 miles and still the same, sport mode slightly better

It is not that you are on a slight slope? In that case, the ABS will hold the brakes for a while and then release so you can pull off. I have a manual and on a slope, it is like pulling off with your handbrake on, and then releasing it?

It is not that you are on a slight slope? In that case, the ABS will hold the brakes for a while and then release so you can pull off. I have a manual and on a slope, it is like pulling off with your handbrake on, and then releasing it?
Not in my case, it happens on a level road. There are other threads about this. I have driven other DSG cars and none of them exhibited this trait.
Tom

Very happy with my dsg. Only problem for me is spinning the front wheels if I’m too enthusiastic pulling away. I didn’t notice much adaptation as it “ran in”. Passed 30k mi now and very happy with the gearbox. Currently commuting to work in stop-start traffic and find it much easier than a manual would be. I think it’s worth getting your vehicle checked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very happy with my dsg. Only problem for me is spinning the front wheels if I’m too enthusiastic pulling away. I didn’t notice much adaptation as it “ran in”. Passed 30k mi now and very happy with the gearbox. Currently commuting to work in stop-start traffic and find it much easier than a manual would be. I think it’s worth getting your vehicle checked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As I understand it, the issue is limited to euro 6 T6's? I am no expert on the subject, another forum member has analysed the issue in more detail on another thread which I cannot find at the moment.
Tom

They all do it , my 199 does. You do get used to driving around it eventually. I get reminded when I jump into something else.

They all do it , my 199 does. You do get used to driving around it eventually. I get reminded when I jump into something else.
You mean all DSG or all 199's? Mine is fine (204 2018 MY).

I mean 199 which are all DSG I believe. Does your 204 do it ? My 199 is only a remapped 204 in reality

I mean 199 which are all DSG I believe. Does your 204 do it ? My 199 is only a remapped 204 in reality
No, mine is fine. Looks like we're both in Chester so we could compare some time?

Yes both in Chester so comparing notes and calis come to that would be good.

Was
I see the Phantom Title Editor has been at work again! “Standing Fart”.
Was worried I was the only one that found it funny, no-one had mentioned it until now!

My 204 DSG is fine. It’s my third VW DSG (a Caravelle and a Passat CC previously) all had similar characteristics to Phaeton (3.0 Diesel) prior to that, which was a true auto box

Hi, our MY19 199 DSG is the same, it has improved a bit in the first 2k miles, either that or we’re getting better at driving it. I found that putting your foot down a bit and then backing off early before it gets a chance to wheel spin works best. I raised with the dealer and it is not on the VW system as a known issue. From som other posts it looks like some late 2018 204 DSGs have the same behaviour.

Was

Was worried I was the only one that found it funny, no-one had mentioned it until now!
It was the first one I opened as I knew it would be a funny one.............. hmmmm, probably says more about me!

This is normal for VW DSG. I have had various different cars now, Passats, Touregs and this is our 2nd Cali. All do it. If you put your foot down hard from standing still, the computer is making a whole bunch of calculations and is therefore a split second behind you. Hence the “dead spot”. Then it does exactly what you’ve told it to i.e. max power to the wheels. Hence the sudden jerk away or wheelspin. Although the computer learns your style, it will always put max power through if that’s what you’re telling. You should also adapt by depressing the accelerator a little until you feel the drivetrain engage. Then if you fully depress, it will still give you the max acceleration without the jerk. It doesn’t take long to get used to it.

You should see my other half on the brakes.... oh dear had my camper for six months and she has tried to drive once and that was scary. Think to be fair it takes some getting used to. I LOVE my HAMISH!

Back