Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Stand alone solar

Hi @SamSara
Any particular reason for not wanting a permanent installation? I deliberated long and hard before going with a fixed solution. I have to say that after 18 months I have no regrets whatsoever. Fit and forget solution and TBH we need all the internal storage space we can get for equipment/food/clothes/etc.
We have 2 x 100W panels and so far they have proven to be great, keeping our leisure and starter batteries fully charged.
Only needed for occasional festivals etc. and i am concerned about maintenance and parking in shade etc

Only needed for occasional festivals etc. and i am concerned about maintenance and parking in shade etc
What maintenance?
I fitted my system 7 yrs ago and haven't touched it since apart from washing the panel when I wash the roof about 3 or 4 times a year.
Even today, heavily overcast it is still showing an output .

You probably don’t need one.
Just remember to stick it on charge every month for a top up.
I’ve left a permanent hook-up cable on the back one of my trees in the front garden. Even with solar I give it a charge, usually after a big trip or stick it on charge the night before a trip with the fridge running and getting to temp.

Hi, i want a solar panel to extend or life for a few more days. So ,any to choose from i would appreciate guidance. I do not want one on the van and i would like ease of setting up.
thanks
After some searching I found also this one on Amazon.https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07YKP8H9K/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07YKP8H9K&pd_rd_w=AZLnX&pf_rd_p=828203ef-618e-4303-a028-460d6b615038&pd_rd_wg=FL6qR&pf_rd_r=PNQAEQRSJ575PSKKF84A&pd_rd_r=6aa4bc85-ed8e-4337-ac41-6ca198f369a6&s=industrial&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExMThJWEdZRFo0WlNPJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNTc1NTA5MkVDSThBUlRLRVk4MCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMzQyODg1MU0zRUc0M0MwNkNKVCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2RldGFpbCZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
Since it is folded only 2.8 cm thick I think it is easy to store it behind the backseats.
Both in UK as in NL as well, think I will order it. Anyone any experiences with this one?

Lack of built-in kickstands to optimize angle to light source could get annoying especially as it seems quite flimsy. Any idea what the actual output is for the panel vs rated output?

I use a victron solar charge controller and a Dokio folding panel which is about 150w. In summer it pretty much extends my beach battery range with my compressor fridge, charging cameras phones etc indefinitely. It came with a cheap chinese charge controller but I swapped it out for the more efficient victron.

The victron stuff is superb, Dokio have terrible customer service but the panel works fine (my panel had a crack from new, they ignored my complaint regarding this and when I reviewed the panel removed the item to avoid it being seen). Their panel also missing the legs to angle it up. It does work though and is very thin and easy to store. If I bought again I'd just return to amazon for an uncracked one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B075NQQRPD/?tag=eliteelect-21

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JVK2X9Z/?tag=eliteelect-21

Last edited:
I have 160w dokio Folding panel and use the 12v cig lighter socket to charge... There is coincidentally a video just posted about how to do it... Don't go over 10 amps though

You shouldn’t have a problem lasting a long weekend with an Ocean, even without solar.
I agree. I easily get 4 days our of mine. Fridge on permanently. Heater running all night. Then just lights and charging stuff up. Last time I stood for 4 days 3 nights and batteries were 30% so just getting ready for a boost up.

Check out https://www.solarcampersolutions.co.uk/

Many here on the forum have Roger’s bolt on system installed, often self-installed.
It damaged my roof quite badly even though it was fitted by Roger at Solar Camper Solutions. The panel failed after about 18 months too. I think it’s best to go with a ‘cheap and cheerful‘ panel that’s deployed as needed.

It damaged my roof quite badly even though it was fitted by Roger at Solar Camper Solutions. The panel failed after about 18 months too. I think it’s best to go with a ‘cheap and cheerful‘ panel that’s deployed as needed.
Yep, one of the connectors wore through the paint and exposed the bare metal beneath. I was not a happy bunny.

I have 160w dokio Folding panel and use the 12v cig lighter socket to charge... There is coincidentally a video just posted about how to do it... Don't go over 10 amps though
Very interested in this set up. I was convinced I'd need a permanent roof panel , but the van lives in an underground carpark so there's no benefit of keeping the batteries topped up when not in use.
I'm starting to think that a folding panel would do the job on the few occasions we're parked up for more than 3 or 4 days without moving the van.

Yep, one of the connectors wore through the paint and exposed the bare metal beneath. I was not a happy bunny.
Do you mean electrical connector, or screw? What was the reason in your opinion, bad assembly or vibrations? Maybe you have a photo to help us pay attention? Thank you for having your point of view.

I felt the same, generally on the move each day, and just deploy the folding if I need to.
How do you have it wired? I was thinking of leaving the controller connected to the underseat battery, so the panel can be plugged in when needed - but I don’t have a Cali to look at right now, so don’t know how practical that is.

TBH I’m thinking of the 100W panel anyway, so it shouldn’t theoretically generate enough current to blow the 10A lighter socket fuse, so perhaps that’s the better way. Is there a light socket next to the tailgate on the 6.1?

How do you have it wired? I was thinking of leaving the controller connected to the underseat battery, so the panel can be plugged in when needed - but I don’t have a Cali to look at right now, so don’t know how practical that is.

TBH I’m thinking of the 100W panel anyway, so it shouldn’t theoretically generate enough current to blow the 10A lighter socket fuse, so perhaps that’s the better way. Is there a light socket next to the tailgate on the 6.1?
there is a socket in the rear apparently, but I use the one hidden down the side of the rear seats.... I don't leave it wired up at all, I just deploy the controller and wiring when I need it. If I was going to leave in situ I would attach the controller on the side of the kitchen and wire properly to the battery under the passenger seat (which is easily accessible).

there is a socket in the rear apparently, but I use the one hidden down the side of the rear seats.... I don't leave it wired up at all, I just deploy the controller and wiring when I need it. If I was going to leave in situ I would attach the controller on the side of the kitchen and wire properly to the battery under the passenger seat (which is easily accessible).
Ah. You are he from the video! Nice, subscribed ✓
My incoming van is LHD so the kitchen is on the opposite side to the leisure battery (I think!)
Dealer said I might be able to collect it this week or next, so I'll have a better idea once it's in front of me.

Ah. You are he from the video! Nice, subscribed ✓
My incoming van is LHD so the kitchen is on the opposite side to the leisure battery (I think!)
Dealer said I might be able to collect it this week or next, so I'll have a better idea once it's in front of me.
haha, thanks for the subscribe.. when (if?) I can get to 500 subscribers, Matt from SMB Tonbridge VW has promised an interview on our channel. I think he is regretting it already. Interesting about the LHD - I cant even picture that, brain ache. Not sure if the battery moves with the seat of if it stays as is... hmm.. getting to the other battery is a right pain I think. Maybe stick with the 12v socket option, you could even leave in situ in the rear with the controller plugged into it ready and attached to a wall somewhere. I would be interested to hear what you do. I've been under some pretty close 2m height barriers recently which reminds me why I didn't install on the roof.

haha, thanks for the subscribe.. when (if?) I can get to 500 subscribers, Matt from SMB Tonbridge VW has promised an interview on our channel. I think he is regretting it already. Interesting about the LHD - I cant even picture that, brain ache. Not sure if the battery moves with the seat of if it stays as is... hmm.. getting to the other battery is a right pain I think. Maybe stick with the 12v socket option, you could even leave in situ in the rear with the controller plugged into it ready and attached to a wall somewhere. I would be interested to hear what you do. I've been under some pretty close 2m height barriers recently which reminds me why I didn't install on the roof.
The front leisure battery stays in the same place, under the left front seat, so with LHD it’s under the driver’s seat.

I’ve just ordered a dokio 100w as an extra to 118w Solbian panel which will be fitted to roof.
Hopefully I’ll have it up and running by weekend just need to collect it tomorrow, so will add a review.

Help please, Am I correct in my understanding that with a portable solar panel like the Dokia you just plug it into the 12V socket by the sliding door and it will directly charge the leisure batteries??

Yes, obviously via the charge controller, and with the caveat that it could blow the fuse if it goes over 10A

If you were using the 100W Dokia, I don't think it can generate over 10A but the bigger models will.

Back