Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Stand alone solar

Very nice, you don't have to make the 12v lead... There is a link to one from the US via amazon that took v3 days tobarrive and was cheap. You can find the link on the video I posted, here again, or at thehuntercrew.com... We don't get any commission on that lead, but I can recommend it...
I might do that then as another option. As it is, it’s great when the sun is on that side, but later in the day it’d be nice to unplug the panel and connect to the lighter socket on the bench seat. I thought I’d make one because I’ve got a big box in the garage full of tangled cables of every possible obsolete type!

I might do that then as another option. As it is, it’s great when the sun is on that side, but later in the day it’d be nice to unplug the panel and connect to the lighter socket on the bench seat. I thought I’d make one because I’ve got a big box in the garage full of tangled cables of every possible obsolete type!
If you do make one, I advise 10amp fuse inline.Good luck

If you do make one, I advise 10amp fuse inline.Good luck
Cheers, we got nowhere near that today (4.5A max from what I saw) so could even go lower than 10A. If the van’s fuse for the socket is 10A too, I’d rather be blowing the fuse in the plug than have to remember where the main fuse is!

Cheers, we got nowhere near that today (4.5A max from what I saw) so could even go lower than 10A. If the van’s fuse for the socket is 10A too, I’d rather be blowing the fuse in the plug than have to remember where the main fuse is!
Indeed, you shouldn't get to 10amp with that panel, but in the case of some weird surge, solar storm, or the sun going supernova, no fuse blows the van fuse, and I think the next size down is 5anp which you will probably exceed at some point, so if you do that have spares... Maybe you could get an 8.5amp or something, not sure. The cable on amazon comes with 10amp fitted but you could switch it out easy enough. My panel in theory will go to about 9.5amp.i think from memory I got 8.5amp at 90 degrees to full sun.

if anyone is reading this and planning on the 160w Dokio, amazon seems to be out of stock except for one seller charging nearly £500. There is also a 150w version until the other one comes back in stock.. https://amzn.to/3AcHjlh

Wondering how much more power an MPPT would realize over the standard PWM-charge controller? Is it possible to connect the Dokio panel to a victron mppt controller, especially for less than optimal conditions?
I want to be able to move the panel/controller between vehicles.

The Dokio comes with a few different leads so you’ll be fine if you can use XT-60 or coaxial connectors.

I’ve ordered that lighter connector too, it’s all rather academic here on a very overcast and damp Basque coast!

Question (suspect the answer is obvious):

I have the charge controller clipped to the underseat battery. We’ve not run the engine for a few days and the fridge, interior lights have been working fairly hard. Plenty of sun, consistently over 50w.

The camping display firmly shows the batteries at around 50% full, won’t seem to go higher.

Is this a) because the display is not particularly accurate or b) because I’m only charging one battery and the other is empty?

I’d sort of assumed that charging would be split between the two batteries, as are the loads (ie the fridge draws current from both batteries) or have I got this wrong?

I have the charge controller clipped to the underseat battery. We’ve not run the engine for a few days and the fridge, interior lights have been working fairly hard. Plenty of sun, consistently over 50w.

The camping display firmly shows the batteries at around 50% full, won’t seem to go higher.

Is this a) because the display is not particularly accurate or b) because I’m only charging one battery and the other is empty?

I’d sort of assumed that charging would be split between the two batteries, as are the loads (ie the fridge draws current from both batteries) or have I got this wrong?
It will charge across both batteries, so either it needs longer to get to the three quarter charged point or something rise is wrong. Does the van display show positive amps (charging) or negative amps (draining)?

Check the 75amp cube fuse, I think the T6.1 still has that, on the rear Leisure Battery. They are fragile and if that has gone then you only have 1 Leisure battery in circuit.

I suspect something is up - I connected EHU this morning and it shows the “plugged in” symbol but was still stuck at around half full after an hour. I’ve left it plugged in while I do the shopping , will report back later …

Hmmm perhaps a false alarm. The EHU didn’t bring the batteries up at all after a few hours and it was still on half-full. So I just unplugged everything and left it alone for a bit. Display now shows full, >60h. A mystery (display screen froze?) but I’m glad i’ve not broken it

Hi all,

The Dokio 160W solar panels are back in stock on Amazon for £153.77.

Are these still worth buying??

DOKIO 160W 18V Solar Panel Kit Monocrystalline Portable Flexible Folding Include Solar Charge Controller and PV Cable for 12V Battery Charging Camper Van https://amzn.eu/d/2p32ZDZ

I sold mine and installed fixed panels, but I found them excellent and would highly recommend them. If you can find an earlier post from me you'll find my video about them and how to use them to charge through the leisure battery 12v cig socket.

I sold mine and installed fixed panels, but I found them excellent and would highly recommend them. If you can find an earlier post from me you'll find my video about them and how to use them to charge through the leisure battery 12v cig socket.
Thanks! Ultimately I guess fixed panels are the best solution, but I was thinking this might be quite good for our Beach leisure battery as we don’t normally consume too much power.
I will check out your video :)

Hi all,

DOKIO 160W 18V Solar Panel Kit Monocrystalline Portable Flexible Folding Include Solar Charge Controller and PV Cable for 12V Battery Charging Camper Van https://amzn.eu/d/2p32ZDZ
I don’t have either this or fixed on the van but what I can tell you is that when I had the same type of dilema for solar on my boat I went for a portable kit…………. and therein lies the problem…..every time I want to use it I have to open it up and plug it all in…..what a PITA! I wish I had fitted a permanent solar installation (fire and forget!)

Just in case it helps you ……. ;) :thumb

Thanks! Ultimately I guess fixed panels are the best solution, but I was thinking this might be quite good for our Beach leisure battery as we don’t normally consume too much power.
I will check out your video :)
Difference is v150-200 quid vs 900. Stick with the Dokio for occasional use. If you take the cables out of the pocket then it is basically flat, taking up no space. Good luck.

Hi all,

Definitely. Once i watched @markheathcote a couple of times i was off and running. Very simple to set up.

Difference is v150-200 quid vs 900. Stick with the Dokio for occasional use. If you take the cables out of the pocket then it is basically flat, taking up no space. Good luck.
+1. Fixed are not necessarily the best solution for everyone. Admittedly in my case the van lives underground so the advantage of the batteries staying topped up on the driveway doesn't apply. 80% of the trips we do are fine on battery only (moving between sites every couple of days or at least driving to town for supplies). If on site for a week or so, then I'll bust out the Dokio - with the advantage I can move it around to be perpendicular to the sun all day, using a combination of Mark's lighter socket hack, and a flying lead attached to the under seat battery.

I can't see any drawbacks of a fixed set-up (aside from cost and non "directionability") but I don't think it's worth it in my case.

+1. Fixed are not necessarily the best solution for everyone. Admittedly in my case the van lives underground so the advantage of the batteries staying topped up on the driveway doesn't apply. 80% of the trips we do are fine on battery only (moving between sites every couple of days or at least driving to town for supplies). If on site for a week or so, then I'll bust out the Dokio - with the advantage I can move it around to be perpendicular to the sun all day, using a combination of Mark's lighter socket hack, and a flying lead attached to the under seat battery.

I can't see any drawbacks of a fixed set-up (aside from cost and non "directionability") but I don't think it's worth it in my case.
Yes, this will probably be more for occasional use. We can just about manage with the single Beach battery, which powers our small fridge for about 2 days.
I am now thinking the 100W Dokio may be OK. It’s less than £110 on Amazon currently. It is thinner than the 160W package and would hopefully slip under the mattress on the rear shelf.
Thoughts anyone?

Yes, this will probably be more for occasional use. We can just about manage with the single Beach battery, which powers our small fridge for about 2 days.
I am now thinking the 100W Dokio may be OK. It’s less than £110 on Amazon currently. It is thinner than the 160W package and would hopefully slip under the mattress on the rear shelf.
Thoughts anyone?
I think it boils down to how far north you tend to go. Personally, I went for 100W thinking it'd be enough for where we live/travel, but haven't really tested it in a murky, cloudy week. Definitely fits under the shelf mattress. I've had it on the windscreen, on top of the awning, leaned up against the van using either the boot or rear seat sockets, or clipped onto the battery (eventually I'll wire a connector onto that, to avoid having to slide the seat forward)
If you're using it in the lighter socket, the 100W won't get anywhere near blowing the socket fuse. I don't know if the bigger models would, but I didn't fancy getting back from a day out to find the fuse had blown at midday.

I now use a RidgeMonkey fold-up 80w solar panel that charges the leisure batteries via a victory charge controller. It was happily pumping out 55w in full sun last Friday (250wh over about 6 hours). https://ridgemonkey.co.uk/product/vault-c-smart-pd-80w-solar-panel

Charging via the cigarette lighter sounds like an expensive and potentially dangerous accident waiting to happen.

I’ve also tried a roof mounted panel but that failed after about 18 months and damaged the roof too (to my mind it wasn’t fitted properly- even though I paid to get it done ‘professionally’). I have a replacement panel kit from Solar Camper Solutions but I’ve decided not to fit it. If you want it, pm me with a sensible offer and it’s yours!
Hi orbital, I was just wondering how you are finding the ridge monkey solar panel? I’ve just been looking at th 120w one, how did you connect it to your victron charge controller

Back