Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Squeaky Lower Steering Cover

Stewbie

Stewbie

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
HNY all !
Have had a 72-plate Ocean from new from September '22, and in all that time have had a hugely irritating squeak from the lower steering column cover.
It squeaks pretty continuously whenever the vehicle is moving, but I can also make it do it by tapping gently on the lower cover even when stationary/ignition off.
Have managed to eliminate most other squeaks & rattles over time, but this one is elusive !
Has anyone else expereinced the same, and is there an easy fix without having to take it to a dealership ?
Thank you in advance !

Steering column cover (lower).JPG

Last edited:
HNY all !
Have had a 72-plate Ocean from new from September '22, and in all that time have had a hugely irritating squeak from the lower steering column cover.
It squeaks pretty continuously whenever the vehicle is moving, but I can also make it do it by tapping gently on the lower cover even when stationary/ignition off.
Have managed to eliminate most other squeaks & rattles over time, but this one is elusive !
Has anyone else expereinced the same, and is there an easy fix without having to take it to a dealership ?
Thank you in advance !
Have no idea how to sort this but be aware Dealerships will not accept such items for Warranty work over 6 months from delivery.

HNY all !
Thank you in advance !
Are you able to post a pic of the part that you mention so that we can advise correctly?

It may be as simple as the adjustment of a few screws, a squirt of some silicone lubricant or may be a bit more involved.

Furniture polish.

Are you able to post a pic of the part that you mention so that we can advise correctly?

It may be as simple as the adjustment of a few screws, a squirt of some silicone lubricant or may be a bit more involved.
Photo now uploaded.
Once upon a time I wouldn't have hesitated to take the cover off and have a good fiddle around. But nowadays, with such complicated electronics (and airbags !), I'm reluctant to try anything too intrusive (particularly if it could be covered under warranty). My suspicion is that I'd have to remove the steering wheel itself to be able to remove the lower cover ?

Have no idea how to sort this but be aware Dealerships will not accept such items for Warranty work over 6 months from delivery.
Thank you, WelshGas - I wasn't aware of that. I'd better get it booked in soon then, if I can't sort it myself. Just seems such a minor thing to get them to look at ! I've had no other issues with it at all so far

Photo now uploaded.
Once upon a time I wouldn't have hesitated to take the cover off and have a good fiddle around. But nowadays, with such complicated electronics (and airbags !), I'm reluctant to try anything too intrusive (particularly if it could be covered under warranty). My suspicion is that I'd have to remove the steering wheel itself to be able to remove the lower cover ?
Personally, I would get a can of Silicon spray, one with a tube nozzle, and spray into the junction between cover and Dashboard. Also where the steering column adjustment lever is with steering wheel up/down and any other orifice/gap etc:. Wouldn’t do any harm

Back