Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

squeaking camping chairs in rear door!

Docmark

Docmark

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
In the last month our van has developed an annoying squeak from the rear - every time we drive along any uneven road surface. I finally tracked it down to the 2 folding seats in their store in the rear door. Taking the chairs out solves the problem! (We had not taken them out in the months before this started)
I have tried wrapping a towel over the ends to stop them rubbing against the plastic linings/padding - gave temporary relief - but it is back again!
Anyone else had this - and how did you solve the problem?

It may not be the chairs. On dismantling the tailgate I found some metal on metal action going on that could be the cause of your squeaking. Maybe spray some light oil up the far sides of the foam seat holders and see is it helps.

C8C08D75-C1BC-43FC-B982-CCD76A84BE4C.jpeg

Ours has a squeak too, but it stops if either I send the missus aft to investigate, :headbang, or move the rear seat forward a notch.

I'm thinking it's the rear shelf rubbing against the seat and if someone sits in the back it moves it enough to stop it. Maybe removing the chairs out of the tailgate has the same effect, ie it doesn't push the shelf against the seat when the tailgate shuts .....

I had a similar issue and it happened sometimes when I’d taken the chairs out and other times not, having stuff in the boot made a difference sometimes too.
It’s very simple to eliminate the possibility that you have the same problem and it’s this. Grease Exhibits A and B that mate together when the tailgate shuts. A & B on mine were chafing, making the most irritating noise in the world but sometimes luggage in the boot pushed outwards on the door, which stopped the chafing. Sorry if it’s not this but there’s no downside to finding out. Good luck.

EC55EF22-6271-45F1-8D0B-29C6F253906D.jpeg

2DCBBE5C-3059-4F0B-965D-028DC7F69915.jpeg

Thank you for the suggestions - I will try them in the morning
Mark

I had a similar issue and it happened sometimes when I’d taken the chairs out and other times not, having stuff in the boot made a difference sometimes too.
It’s very simple to eliminate the possibility that you have the same problem and it’s this. Grease Exhibits A and B that mate together when the tailgate shuts. A & B on mine were chafing, making the most irritating noise in the world but sometimes luggage in the boot pushed outwards on the door, which stopped the chafing. Sorry if it’s not this but there’s no downside to finding out. Good luck.

View attachment 38683

View attachment 38684
That completely solved the irritating squeak in mine too after lots of previously fruitless searching (thanks to yet another helpful forum poster). Might the extra weight of the seats in the tail-gate be enough to trigger a change in the contact pressure between A & B?

Thank you everyone for the suggestions - I have sprayed wd40 into the far reaches of the chair storage recess, I have put lithium grease on the rear door contact guides and I also sprayed out the whole recess with silicone easing spray (which dries in a few minutes)
Result - problem solved!!

That completely solved the irritating squeak in mine too after lots of previously fruitless searching (thanks to yet another helpful forum poster). Might the extra weight of the seats in the tail-gate be enough to trigger a change in the contact pressure between A & B?
With mine, I think it was more that some luggage in a full boot would push against the semi soft chair compartment in the tailgate and this was enough to stop any movement of the tailgate, that was normally present with an empty boot. We live and learn..... by the way.. anyone know how to stop the armrests from rattling... driving me nuts when in the vertical postion/stowed

With mine, I think it was more that some luggage in a full boot would push against the semi soft chair compartment in the tailgate and this was enough to stop any movement of the tailgate, that was normally present with an empty boot. We live and learn..... by the way.. anyone know how to stop the armrests from rattling... driving me nuts when in the vertical postion/stowed
Tighten them up as they must be loose.

Remove Part 22 and tighten up Part 21.

http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_singl...881/subcategory/881050/part_id/3683179/lang/e

Aah yes. The joys of erroneous squeaking. In my splittie however, squeaks and noises are generally related to costs. "Ooh. That sounds like an expensive noise. Best fix it" or "that noise is irritating but not expensive. Turn the stereo up"

Back