Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Speedo question

N

NZCol

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Can anyone tell me, or know, if the Cali has a dual kmh/mph display or is it specfic to location ? Reason i ask is i have ordered one here (in NZ) but i may need to take it back to the UK and it has to have MPH to be complied !

If I remerber correctly, you can set the units on the main screen (the screen behind the steering wheel).

Yeah you can do that for the display but the actual speedo with the needle and stuff - does it have kmh and mph ? We had a hire one in the UK the last few weeks and it was MPH only which is what worries me, mine will be kmh and to comply in the UK it has to be MPH !

ooops, sorry I did not read your post carefully. I'll check mine (French edition) tomorrow... But I kinda doubt that it has both displays. :cry:

I'm not sure what the rules are in the UK and if the KMH dial with the MFD set to MPH and displaying would be sufficient. Hmm might have to try and find out.

Many years ago we brought back a Mazda 121 from Hong Kong And it never failed an MoT between 1995 and 2008 for not having MPH speedo. Maybe they never noticed!

I'm taking my Beach to NZ and got a type approval cert from VW UK and sent it to AA in NZ who have confirmed it meets NZ type approval and it only has the digital read out for KPH. Perhaps you could do the same thing. VW UK may be able to do the cert for you - it's all in German :crazy

Andy

You used to be able to get transparent stick on dials with mph/kph on them as a 'temporary' fix-don't know if that still exists - it was 20 years ago!

Retiredron said:
what do other T4 owners on this site do or have

the km/h numbers were coloured in with a black pen and some vaguely accurate numbers were stuck on...

This approach does of course present certain difficulties when driving on the continent.
dan

Thanks for the comments. VW are confident they can replace the speedo before I ship it with a replacement display and will not charge - the joy of special ordering a van they don't think they will sell quickly ! So perfect solution I get my new Cali for the summer then fill it with bikes and art and ship it back. Olympia blue 4motion manual will be here in 3 weeks

Back