Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Spec'ng the new Beach / internal bike storage

N

Nathan Thomas

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi, I'm currently spending hours looking over what optional extras I'm thinking of adding to the Beach. So far I have the following:

1) Comfort Mattress
2) Tow Bar (for bike rack)
3) Parking sensors with camera
4) Aux heater
5) Awning
6) Rear spoiler

I borrowed a friends new Ocean a few weeks back and loved the fact you can open both sliding windows and pop in the fly net guards. Do these come with the Beach? Also, an I right in thinking the only window in the main cabin that slides is the passenger window, and the driver window to slide is an added extra?

On the Ocean there were some 2 light witches in the pop roof that turned the lights on and off, one in the opening and one at the back of the top sleeping compartment. Are these standard on the beach or are these part of the "Comfort" options?

Also, does anyone have any pictures of the storage to the side of the 2 seater bench as I'm still torn between the 2 seater and the 3 seater?

Has anyone managed to adapt / purchase any kind of bike rack similar to the Saris rack below that can somehow connect to the slider rails when the bench seat is all the way forward?

1016188d1442530756t-looking-car-interior-bike-rack-design-ideas-vertical-bike-stowage-inside-suv-wp_20150917_08_22_45_pro.jpg

Hi, I'm currently spending hours looking over what optional extras I'm thinking of adding to the Beach. So far I have the following:

1) Comfort Mattress
2) Tow Bar (for bike rack)
3) Parking sensors with camera
4) Aux heater
5) Awning
6) Rear spoiler

I borrowed a friends new Ocean a few weeks back and loved the fact you can open both sliding windows and pop in the fly net guards. Do these come with the Beach? Also, an I right in thinking the only window in the main cabin that slides is the passenger window, and the driver window to slide is an added extra?

On the Ocean there were some 2 light witches in the pop roof that turned the lights on and off, one in the opening and one at the back of the top sleeping compartment. Are these standard on the beach or are these part of the "Comfort" options?

Also, does anyone have any pictures of the storage to the side of the 2 seater bench as I'm still torn between the 2 seater and the 3 seater?

Has anyone managed to adapt / purchase any kind of bike rack similar to the Saris rack below that can somehow connect to the slider rails when the bench seat is all the way forward?

1016188d1442530756t-looking-car-interior-bike-rack-design-ideas-vertical-bike-stowage-inside-suv-wp_20150917_08_22_45_pro.jpg

Go with the 3 seater. You will always regret the times when you don't have that extra seat. Plus the slight extra seat height at the back is useful for storing stuff. The 3 seater makes for a more versatile Beach

I would deffo go for the 2 seater, the extra height under the rear shelf if by far surpassed by the extra storage in the side box and the mahoosive drawer that comes under the 2 seater bench, especially if the back is full of bikes.
But take a look at both options :thumb

I know I know.....this is my biggest dilemma at the mo !! Having three seats will be ace, but the family of 4 will be getting away a lot at weekends so I thought the extra storage would be more beneficial (big draw and the side storage).

I think I need to have a good look !

My view is the 2 seater storage draw arrangement eats into storage of the van and isn't always practical.

If your considering the 2 seater version, then you really want to change your thinking to 3 seat Beach or the full fat Ocean.
They are all very different beasts

Also one other question regarding blinds. In the Ocean I am borrowing there are blinds on every window, plus some natty magnetic ones for the front passenger / driver windows

Are there blinds on all the BEACH windows including the front windscreen ones that pull in from the A pillars?

Thanks

They are the same as you describe on the t5 beach, not sure how the t6 works.

Also one other question regarding blinds. In the Ocean I am borrowing there are blinds on every window, plus some natty magnetic ones for the front passenger / driver windows

Are there blinds on all the BEACH windows including the front windscreen ones that pull in from the A pillars?

Thanks
No blind on the front window. Rear is the same and same magnetic blinds on the side windows. Fitting the front blind is easy and pretty fast. You get way better closed window and even slight insulation compared to a flimsy built in blinds. Though you have to carry extra stuff. Those built in are fast to roll and don't require extra space.

Dont really want to get drawn into the 2 vs 3 seater debate as its been 'discussed' many times on here. Only you can decide which suits how you want to use the vehicle so get to see both in the metal before committing to purchase.
Couple of bike storage ideas you might not have considered: A road bike with the front wheel off will fit width wise across the multiflex board if the seat is moved forward about 6inches. It will also fit lengthways under the multiflex board if the seat is moved a reasonable way forward. This is on a 2 seater bench version but imagine it would apply equally to the 3 seater.
A tailgate spoiler will prevent you using a tailgate bike rack, but you said your going for a towbar so prob not a concern.
It wouldnt be that difficult to come up with an internal rack similar to the Saris one pictured. Fixings are available for the floor rails, either from VW or the evil bay.

Think you need to visit a dealership to compair verhicles (beach vs. ocean)
Or try to make contact with a member(s) in your nearby to check out verhicles...

You simply can not compare the two just by wondering : if ..., does it , can it....?

If possible, it would be worth hiring for a weekend both vehicles to test what works for you.
Fortunately I came from a long history of campervan ownership over many years, so I knew what worked for me and how.
It could be entirely different for yourself. It's a big purchase for most people and absolutely worth doing lots of homework and gaining some practical time with the vehicles

Thanks for all the replies. I'm away for 2 weeks with my two kids in a new Ocean I managed to liberate from a friend.

Loving it so far, although the heat wave in Tenby is certainly helping.

Can someone help with the pop up lighting question? In the ocean there are two little switches, fro t and back of the pop up sleeping area that controls some cool lights. Are these standard in the beach or are these part of the "comfort" lighting package,

Thanks

image.jpeg

I have two switches in the front of the roof area controlling three leds in the roof. I think they are part of camping lights package.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm away for 2 weeks with my two kids in a new Ocean I managed to liberate from a friend.

Can someone help with the pop up lighting question? In the ocean there are two little switches, fro t and back of the pop up sleeping area that controls some cool lights. Are these standard in the beach or are these part of the "comfort" lighting package,

Thanks

View attachment 15852

Hi, we have a T6 3 seater beach, we never got any extra light packs and I'm positive that there's only the 12v flexi neck LED light for the pop up roof.
It's never really bothered us as our kids always sleep in the roof....
Hope this helps.

Hi, we have a T6 3 seater beach, we never got any extra light packs and I'm positive that there's only the 12v flexi neck LED light for the pop up roof.
It's never really bothered us as our kids always sleep in the roof....
Hope this helps.
I ordered the LED extra internal lighting on my T6 Beach - well worth it as you get integrated dimming lights in the roof and in the rear door - both v important ..... should be standard

Thanks

View attachment 15852
dont let your mate see the kids bikes that close to his new van - omg

The 12v flex light is more than enough lighting for the roof, if anything its a bit too bright for late at night. :D

I ordered the LED extra internal lighting on my T6 Beach - well worth it as you get integrated dimming lights in the roof and in the rear door - both v important ..... should be standard

If I was ordering a t6. I would definitely order this option. Not essential in all fairness. But a simple effective upgrade

Nathan, you have a very good friend. I won't even let my sister take my Cali for a weekend

Over the last few weeks my 3 seater T6 beach has been in for work and they leant me an ocean and then a caravelle.

As a racing cyclist I found the ocean a nightmare due to the lack of flexibility. My beach has a rack on the back, so with that plus the huge space with the 3 seat forward I can get bikes and team mates in really easily.

Having tried so many different layouts I'd definitely recommend 3 seat beach layout.

Yesterday I moved the bench to its most forward position ( I am waiting for Swedish numberplates so I cant drive it) and removed the multiflexboard. I can easily stand to large mtb bikes.
With front wheel removed and a fork holder I guess I can have four bikes and four passangers inside.

i-QdBKvXG-X2.jpg

Back