Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Special Edition and opening front canvas

Sometimes the coloured ones are an option sometimes not. VW seem to change their minds as the wind changes. UK spec T6 Beaches have never had the front opening window but I have seen at least one with that feature. My comments are more about recent new vans though. These random changes could be due to supply issues.

Re your van, have you owned it from new? If not, has it had a replacement canvas at some time? The only thing that I can add is that we did own a 2015 SE and that had three windows and grey canvas.

Thanks for your reply and extra info. So both you and WelshGas had a 2015 T5 with grey, 3-windowed canvas. That helps. Perhaps VW changed the number of windows somewhere between 2010/2011 and 2015. Mine is made in 2010, MY 2011. I will try and find some more examples and see if I can come to some sort of timeline. Good point about my van perhaps having a replaced canvas. That's certainly possible. I just don't know. Bought it last week from the second owner. It was originally a Belgian vehicle. Who knows, the first/original owner might be on these forums. Have seen quite a few Belgian people here so far ;-).

There could be differences between UK and Belgian specs over the years too, further complicating the analysis.

There could be differences between UK and Belgian specs over the years too, further complicating the analysis.
Spec tends to vary so much from country to country.

You'd think they'd give us 3 windows and you Brits none. What with the continuous downpour on your island(s). J/k

Thanks for your reply and extra info. So both you and WelshGas had a 2015 T5 with grey, 3-windowed canvas. That helps. Perhaps VW changed the number of windows somewhere between 2010/2011 and 2015. Mine is made in 2010, MY 2011. I will try and find some more examples and see if I can come to some sort of timeline. Good point about my van perhaps having a replaced canvas. That's certainly possible. I just don't know. Bought it last week from the second owner. It was originally a Belgian vehicle. Who knows, the first/original owner might be on these forums. Have seen quite a few Belgian people here so far ;-).
My uk 2011 se has three windows in it from new.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

My uk 2011 se has three windows in it from new.

Not sure we are on the same page here
Yes ours has 3 windows ( all with the fly screen netting ) but the whole front panel on ours zips out so in effect there is no front .......

Not sure we are on the same page here
Yes ours has 3 windows ( all with the fly screen netting ) but the whole front panel on ours zips out so in effect there is no front .......
Thomashj was asking what year the 3 window bellows was first installed.

We were toying with the idea of buying one but decided not too. Bought a good spec'd van only missing fitted removable tow bar from the T30 spec and this has the full front opening pop top front.

We were toying with the idea of buying one but decided not too. Bought a good spec'd van only missing fitted removable tow bar from the T30 spec and this has the full front opening pop top front.

@Andy is right. @Wild Bob and @Redrick Esq. you both have a T6 (according to your pofiles), so that means you have a different canvas anyways. I'm trying to find out if there's any logic in the amount of windows in the canvas of the T5. So far it seems there isn't much logic and there's also differences between countries. But perhaps a few more T5 owners or people who previously owned a T5 will respond and I can construct a timeline of when 2 or 3 was standard, assuming such a standard existed. ;-)

2006 German spec, just the side windows. Known to be original.

Did the T5 not have the option for the 3rd, front window? Must have come with the T5.1 then? Was an option of about €300 if I remember correct.
The complete opening front has just come with the late 18, begin 19. That's right?

My T5 is MY 2011 so a 5.1 but only 2 windows. Now, I'm not sure if mine was replaced by previous owner so that's not saying very much. But @TripleBee how many windows do you have in your T5 and what make year is it / country did you buy it? Interested to know, also because my cali is originally from Belgium as well.

I bought my California in may 2010. It was produced in november 2009 for Belgium. As it was a stock vehicle (Declerck in Gent), I had no chance to choose extra options, but it has all I really wanted (as in my lack of knowledge back in 2010, but I don't know if I would have taken other or more options).
I also have only 2 side windows, but as stated, I had no choice. But I do know that the T5.1 has the option for the 3rd window, but, as stated, was about €300 extra. I don't know from what year the optional window could be chosen.
If you configurate a California (or did a few years back), the standard was/is only 2 side windows, even on a California Comfortline (that was the official Belgian name).
I could be wrong, but as I don't have the 3rd window, I don't know if it was available from 2009 as an option.

Maybe VWGuru has a good memory to clear this up (if he has time to get into this post).

30 year anniversary edition spotted in Hamburg today.

Also spotted some interesting graffiti

72F39328-850F-4F98-9627-B23DE482E719.jpeg

F9291D33-14BB-4FAA-9FD0-B0D703350A21.jpeg

387C15AA-E2E4-4FBA-984A-3B8215C8C659.jpeg

Back