Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Special Edition and opening front canvas

California 30 Years model is based on the "Coast " model which has a Manual Pop Top.
Was wondering this today as I noticed that all the pictures on the VW website do not show any hydraulic rams on the roof.

Just looking at the pictures from the Dusseldorf show and noticed that the show van didn't have Climatronic, no Heated Seats and had the single chrome grille. Are all these missing on the Uk model or can these be added?

I've read a couple of articles both stating it's based on the Ocean, so as per usual, who knows what the actual spec is until it arrives! Or maybe VW will release a detailed brochure in a few months, probably after they've all been sold. :)

I've read a couple of articles both stating it's based on the Ocean, so as per usual, who knows what the actual spec is until it arrives! Or maybe VW will release a detailed brochure in a few months, probably after they've all been sold. :)

I have the brochure, will upload it when I’m on my laptop

I have the brochure, will upload it when I’m on my laptop

Great. So just wondering, is it based on the Ocean (as stated in press release) or on the Coast, with a manual roof?

The seat covers fabric is "Visitamo" which comes on the " Coast " and the single chrome strip on the Radiator grille is from the same model as is Air-conditioning " Climatic ".

Great. So just wondering, is it based on the Ocean (as stated in press release) or on the Coast, with a manual roof?

It’s a spec’d up standard UK Ocean with constrasting roof colour and a limited edition badge.

definitely based on ocean model, with hydraulic roof and opening front window as per latest model.The only chance you will get to see one is if you buy one - no dealer demo's or any stock will be ordered.

Here's the UK 30th Anniversary Model brochure

Attachments

• 30 Year California Anniversery Model.pdf
    535.3 KB · Views: 71
Couldn't see any mention in this price list or the standard one about the panoramic bellows window?

Couldn't see any mention in this price list or the standard one about the panoramic bellows window?

I assume this is what "Same pop up roof as California Oceans" is referring to below:

"Specification
Customers can choose between three different engine and drivetrain combinations (150PS DSG, 199PS DSG and 199PS DSG 4MOTION). There are also a number of colour combinations, including a brand new colour – Turmeric yellow – and a selection of options to make their Californias truly unique.

Product highlights:

• Contrast roof and wing mirrors finished in Reflex silver or Indium grey metallic
  • It will have the same pop-up roof as California Oceans built from week 48 2018 (not pictured above)
  • Discover media navigation pro including App-Connect and Volkswagen media control
  • LED headlights
  • Front and rear parking sensors
  • Side scan and cruise control
  • Removable tow bar
  • Heated front seats
"

I have just had a press release from VW regarding the new special edition 30 Year California. A sample of that is listed below. If anyone is interested in the full press release I can post it here if anyone is interested.
With just 30 examples earmarked for the UK, the California 30 Years is the most exclusive special edition ever offered by Volkswagen. Prices start at £64,307 (OTR) for the 2.0 TDI 150 PS model and rise to £70,629 (OTR) for the range-topping 2.0 TDI 199 PS 4MOTION variant. As interest is expected to be extremely high, Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles Van Centres are urging potential buyers to secure their orders before the allocation is snapped up.

Some funny colour choices... Red with a silver roof anyone?

Some funny colour choices... Red with a silver roof anyone?
As the bodies and roofs are painted separately and only come together at the California factory they probably had a load of random coloured bodies and roofs left, so completely random allocation.:rolleyes:

Another video of the 30

They clearly have never had a Cali, the way they open / close everything is so awkward!

Terrible colour Cali in my opinion, and they don’t show any of the 30th special bits but still good to see

My ocean 2017 has front opening mesh window...???

Does anyone know from which year on 2 windows in the canvas (sides) became standard as opposed to 3 windows? My 2011 T5 has only the side windows, not the front window. I miss it, because in my T4 it brought in a lot of light and it felt more spacious, sitting in the van. Also, the windows could be opened. Very useful, to let insects out, like others have mentioned. Never had any problem with rain coming in. It's not such a big thing that I would change the canvas, as it is still in good shape, but I am interested to know what was standard, 2 or 3 windows.

Does anyone know from which year on 2 windows in the canvas (sides) became standard as opposed to 3 windows? My 2011 T5 has only the side windows, not the front window. I miss it, because in my T4 it brought in a lot of light and it felt more spacious, sitting in the van. Also, the windows could be opened. Very useful, to let insects out, like others have mentioned. Never had any problem with rain coming in. It's not such a big thing that I would change the canvas, as it is still in good shape, but I am interested to know what was standard, 2 or 3 windows.
MY 2015, so from July 2014, 3 windows standard on SE definitly.

From what I have been able to establish, the type of canvas you have on which ever model you own, is the subject of random change. There seems to be no logic to it. For example the standard Beach canvas should be grey with two side windows. However sometimes of late I have noticed some with coloured ones and some even have the front opening window. So my guess is that what you get depends on what VW feel like fitted on that day.

@Borris could this be due to coloured canvas perhaps being an option new buyers could choose? And of course people might have retrofitted ones? I'm interested to know which was standard (on a T5) and if that standard changed at any time during the production.

@Borris could this be due to coloured canvas perhaps being an option new buyers could choose? And of course people might have retrofitted ones? I'm interested to know which was standard (on a T5) and if that standard changed at any time during the production.
Sometimes the coloured ones are an option sometimes not. VW seem to change their minds as the wind changes. UK spec T6 Beaches have never had the front opening window but I have seen at least one with that feature. My comments are more about recent new vans though. These random changes could be due to supply issues.

Re your van, have you owned it from new? If not, has it had a replacement canvas at some time? The only thing that I can add is that we did own a 2015 SE and that had three windows and grey canvas.

The California 30 Years Special is based on the "Coast" which comes with the Manual pop top.
No it isnt

We have number 344 and it has all the features of the Ocean including the electric pop top

I did pose a question on spec in a another thread about what spec they are etc as ours is the big engined 4 motion in mojave beige with all the toy box thrown at it in the way of options ( we bought it pre reged)

Yes it does have the full zip out front window

Back