Special Edition and opening front canvas

2into1

2into1

Née T4WFA. Now running 2006 LHD T5 SE 130 Manual
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 130
Borrowed from 'them who should never be mentioned' (for good reasons), a special Edition of 100 vans and a sign that the roof canvas will finally be updated (look for the zips). I'm not sure how practical the opening front canvas will be, but it will help get some flies out when you are retiring to bed.
FB_IMG_1535051063207.jpg FB_IMG_1535051049920.jpg

Interesting colour scheme, it would be nice to open up the roof rather than looking through mesh all the time.

999 vans I believe, think those who should not be mentioned said 1,000.

Is this all original VW or aftermarket ...?
Never heard anything of that edition in the news.

Is this all original VW or aftermarket ...?
Never heard anything of that edition in the news.
All original as far as I can see. Seems to be taken at some VW launch event. Its about time the forum got an invite to such 'doos'.

The color is not new , it's kurkuma yellow and been in the range for a while (but not on the UK market i think) . It's the silver roof and mirrors that are new ...as in never seen this color combination

Last edited:
The 4 always had a front opening in the canvas until late on. Our 2003 only has side openings.

It’s a really good feature for light and fresh air.

I plan to replace the canvas so I can reinstate the front window.

My ocean 2017 has front opening mesh window...???

Yep, I'm pointing to the whole front of the canvas being capable of being dropped, just like a couple of the 'converters' offer. You can sit on the top bed and enjoy the views (apparently).

One thing they should have done years ago is put two zips on every window... One for the canvas, a second to allow the mesh to be dropped. Reimo roofs have been like this for 30 years, and they allow a full on breeze and provide an exit route for trapped flies at bed time.

Last edited:
I wonder if this is special edition only, or a MY19 thing?

Guessing MY19, it’s a practical move rather than a special edition type feature (like colour).

Just a guess, whatever happens if it’s produced it will be able to be retrofitted.

Yep, I'm pointing to the whole front of the canvas being capable of being dropped, just like a couple of the 'converters' offer. You can sit on the top bed and enjoy the views (apparently).

One thing they should have done years ago is put two zips on every window... One for the canvas a second to allow the mesh to be dropped. Reimo roofs have been like this for 30 years, and they allow a full on breeze and provide an exact route for trapped flies at bed time.

Plus let the rain in easier :rolleyes:

from the press release at Duuseldorf Caravan Salon last night:
California 30 Years: The "California 30 Years" – designed to celebrate the 30th

anniversary of the motorhome icon – can be ordered now. The anniversary

model features a pop-up roof that can be ordered in a contrasting colour: Reflex

Silver Metallic or Indium Grey Metallic. The exterior mirror housings are painted

in the same colour. Other special exterior features include gloss-polished 17-

inch Cascavel alloy wheels in Silver or Anthracite. Inside, the limited edition

model is customized by such features as the new Bright Wood cabinet decor. The

upgraded anniversary model – numbered and limited to 999 units – is being

offered at a base price of € 57,215.20 (Germany).

The van in these thread pictures is 001. That will be worth a pretty penny in a few years :shocked

The California 30 Years Special is based on the "Coast" which comes with the Manual pop top.

So they have just flogged people a Cali 30 Edition, then rolled out the Cali 30 Special. Ever get the feeling they're taking the p***.

or at least I think it is....

Pictures from the caravan salon....

A60114A4-2668-427F-A4E3-ED13E0620BAF.jpeg

B9C076E6-80F4-449E-B7F6-8F51E057CFDF.jpeg

4A3ED6D0-09F4-48A3-A4BF-50EA91179098.jpeg

D1153A95-5231-4648-A6F4-E0789F5F1748.jpeg

005BCED6-160B-43C5-ABB2-03AF96DEEE49.jpeg

2418A817-D285-4608-936B-E73A68E67C49.jpeg

53617AFB-887D-48E8-9BEF-8457728A86CC.jpeg

Borrowed from 'them who should never be mentioned' (for good reasons), a special Edition of 100 vans and a sign that the roof canvas will finally be updated (look for the zips). I'm not sure how practical the opening front canvas will be, but it will help get some flies out when you are retiring to bed.
View attachment 36932 View attachment 36933

We have a new Cali and the canvas roof has a new synthetic canvas... much better than cotton canvas
The edition model is overpriced for its spec. You still need extras

From what I can work out on the German configurator, it can be specced on non 30 year models.

"Aufstelldach elektrohydraulisch, in Wagenfarbe mit 2 seitlichen und einem Bugfenster, Faltenbalg in Strawberry Red"

Beach:
  • Not available.
Coast: (upgrade from manual to electric roof)
  • Grey for 1939 euros
  • Red or Blue for 2255 euros....wow.
Ocean: (Only change the roof canvas)
  • Grey for 78 euros
  • Red or Blue for 392 euros

Back