Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Spec'd Up and Ordered!!

RetroRed5

RetroRed5

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Afternoon all,

After years of quietly "wanting" and months of messing with the online configurator (and after seeking a little advice from the folks on these forums), we have now just ordered our Cali Ocean 204PS 4MOTION - yippeee!!

I got close to considering a previously loved Cali but unfortunately in spite of lots of searching I never did find the exact spec I was wanting.

I did perhaps get a little carried away with the options and in the end my spec includes 26 factory options and 7 dealer options (plus extended service package and extended 5 year warranty).

So my order is now with VW where I'm told it will sit until August when it will go into the production schedule; the dealer said it "could" possibly be with us in around 4 to 6 months so now it's just the waiting game.

Given we are first-time Cali owners, I guess we now need to start thinking about what additional camping kit we may need for our adventures; it's all very exciting stuff :)

Cheers,

Red.

Wondered how you got on with your test drive and order.....sounds like you had a good time :)

It's going to feel like a heck of a wait, but certain it will be worth it to get the one you want.

I've driven many LWB shuttles over the years (we've hired one every summer for a long time) but I've never driven a Cali so it was a bit of a treat taking one for spin; I had a go in the 204PS 4MOTION Ocean which is the same as the one we wanted so I got a good feel for what they are like.

Quite surprising really considering how big and heavy they are, far more get up and go than the Shuttles I've driven previously and very comfortable; plus I find the Cali drivers seat a very nice place to be, everything feels very well made and looks great (to me at least).

As for the 4MOTION, as expected you can't really tell its a 4WD other than it has a kind of "planted" feel if you know what I mean; you'd only really notice it on one of those occasions where it was really needed.

Anyway, the test drive convinced me that it was the right model for me so when we got back to the dealership, we went through the spec one final time to make a few adjustments and I left my deposit and my order was placed, job done!

Now for the hard bit which is the loooong wait; although I'm used to waiting a while for a car, I bought myself a bit of a weekend play thing last year and I had to wait a full 12 months for delivery, so 4 to 6 months should be easy :thumb but then again, I'm far more excited about the Cali than I was about the "toy car" so the wait may prove more painful.

Congratulation!
Are you already writing a shopping list for camping gear? I would do the sameAlthough there are many who‘d say you have to wait and check what you really need after the first camping trip -I couldnt resist!

So happy camping-list-writing and great you found a Cali that suits you

Last edited:
Congratulation!
Are you already writing a shopping list for camping gear? I would do the sameAlthough there are many who‘d say you have to wait and check what you realy need after the firs camping trip -I couldnt resist!

So happy camping-list-writing and great you found a Cali that suits you
:thanks

Oh yes, the list making has started for sure ;)

For some stuff we will wait until the Cali has arrived but no harm in buying a few of the essentials we know we will need from day one; although I suspect my mental Mrs will likely go a bit mad and acquire a whole bunch of stuff we don't really need such as throws, cushions, fairy lights and other interior embellishments...etc :D Although I certainly won't complain since she gave me her blessing to "buy new" in the first place and us fellas all know that a new acquisition that came with a blessing from the Mrs is always sweeter :thumb

:thanks

Oh yes, the list making has started for sure ;)

For some stuff we will wait until the Cali has arrived but no harm in buying a few of the essentials we know we will need from day one; although I suspect my mental Mrs will likely go a bit mad and acquire a whole bunch of stuff we don't really need such as throws, cushions, fairy lights and other interior embellishments...etc :D Although I certainly won't complain since she gave me her blessing to "buy new" in the first place and us fellas all know that a new acquisition that came with a blessing from the Mrs is always sweeter :thumb

so true

Afternoon all,

After years of quietly "wanting" and months of messing with the online configurator (and after seeking a little advice from the folks on these forums), we have now just ordered our Cali Ocean 204PS 4MOTION - yippeee!!

I got close to considering a previously loved Cali but unfortunately in spite of lots of searching I never did find the exact spec I was wanting.

I did perhaps get a little carried away with the options and in the end my spec includes 26 factory options and 7 dealer options (plus extended service package and extended 5 year warranty).

So my order is now with VW where I'm told it will sit until August when it will go into the production schedule; the dealer said it "could" possibly be with us in around 4 to 6 months so now it's just the waiting game.

Given we are first-time Cali owners, I guess we now need to start thinking about what additional camping kit we may need for our adventures; it's all very exciting stuff :)

Cheers,

Red.
Hi Red
Be interested to know what options you ordered?
Also if you don’t mind what sort of discount did you get ? 5% seems typical from other people on forum.
Thanks

Greg

Hi Red
Be interested to know what options you ordered?
Also if you don’t mind what sort of discount did you get ? 5% seems typical from other people on forum.
Thanks

Greg

In terms of discount, based on the OTR price we got about 6.8% knocked off the price; so not too bad really.

We had planned on just purchasing the Cali outright but the dealer convinced me that we should use the PCP deal because doing it that way we get 2 services for free and also a £1000 deposit contribution; our intention is to take delivery and then settle the PCP within the first month or so.

Here is the spec I've ordered...

Model: California Ocean 2.0 BiTDI 204PS EU6 StopStart BlueMotion DSG 4MOTION

Factory options...
  • Two-tone - Candy White-Cherry Red
  • Alcantara - Moonrock Grey
  • Decorative Insert Dark Brushed Silver Decorative Strip in Lower Outside Body Colour
  • Bellow Colour of Pop-Up Roof - Strawberry Red
  • Cupboard with Dark Wood Trim-With Outdoor Shower Connection
  • Comfort Lighting
  • Cruise Control - Adaptive including Front Assist and City Emergency Braking - Max Speed 99mph
  • LED Headlights with LED Daytime Running and Tailgate with Red Tail Lights
  • Side Scan with Cruise Control
  • Laminated Glass Package in Cab incl. privacy in rear
  • Leather Multi-function Sports Steering Wheel and Gear Knob with Radio and Telephone Controls
  • Multi-function Display Premium with Multi-colour Display and Driver Alert System
  • Discover Media Navigation System Plus
  • Chrome Pack
  • Hill Descent Control
  • Fuel Tank 80 Litre
  • Dynamic Chassis Control
  • Reversing Camera with Front and Rear Parking Sensors
  • Electric Sliding Door - Drivers Side
  • Bed Extension with Comfort Sleeping Mat
  • High Beam Assist
  • Awning - Silver Rail and Housing
  • Magnetic Flashlight
  • Central Locking - 4 Remote Folding Keys
  • Mud Flaps - Front and Rear
  • Lockable Storage Compartment
Dealer options...
  • Chrome Effect Protection Strip On Tailgate
  • Stainless Steel Effect Rear Bumper Protector
  • Door Sill Guards
  • Angled Side Chrome Bars
  • Paint Protection, Quartz .
  • Rear Tints To 80% (on top of factory tints)
  • First Aid Kit, Warning Triangle, Hi Vis Vest
We've also included the following...
  • 18" Discus White Alloy Wheels (the retro style wheels from the GenSix Special Edition)
  • Tracker
In terms of extra "service", we've added...
  • 4 x Service Package (first 2 are free with PCP)
  • Extended Warranty to 5 Years
Our dealer also knows a local firm who can add the 5th seat to the 4MOTION as if it was done in the factory so we are going to consider this after taking delivery.

So it's going to be a pretty high-spec'd Cali ;)

Last edited:
It's a sore wait, but it's well worth it. All the best when your van arrives.

If you don't mind, I'd love to know more about this local firm you mentioned putting a 5th seat in a 4Mo.
After having a 3rd child, the 4 seats is an issue, but not the end of the world. We still get by thanks to the babysitting talents of my folks, but this option might be a winner for us. Any info appreciated :thumb

Cheers
Tom

It's a sore wait, but it's well worth it. All the best when your van arrives.

If you don't mind, I'd love to know more about this local firm you mentioned putting a 5th seat in a 4Mo.
After having a 3rd child, the 4 seats is an issue, but not the end of the world. We still get by thanks to the babysitting talents of my folks, but this option might be a winner for us. Any info appreciated :thumb

Cheers
Tom

Sure, no problem; check out the "California Upgrades" section at the following URL...

http://www.exploria-online.co.uk/california-upgrades.aspx

Our dealer also knows a local firm who can add the 5th seat to the 4MOTION as if it was done in the factory so we are going to consider this after taking delivery.
Great spec and great discount.

If I recall correctly, with the 4MOTION Ocean you need to be very careful with the payload weight. 5 seats, driver, 4 passengers of average weight, a full 80 litre tank of fuel, with modest luggage will more than likely tip you over the limit.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Wow what a spec can't wait to see it in some photos 4 motion as well two tone Candy White Cherry Red good choice same as mine colour wise anyway :thumb

If I recall correctly, with the 4MOTION Ocean you need to be very careful with the payload weight. 5 seats, driver, 4 passengers of average weight, a full 80 litre tank of fuel, with modest luggage will more than likely tip you over the limit.

@RetroRed5 If it helps you to decide on having the 5th seat installed, I have a very similar spec to you, only difference is that I have DynAudio and removable tow-bar, neither of which are going to make much difference. It did have a bike rack on it, but I don't know if that's included in the V5C weight details. Details for mine are:

Max permissible mass: 3080kg
Max in service mass: 2607kg

As I understand it, the Mass in Service weight includes driver + 75kg and 90% full tank of fuel.

Therefore, this should give you 473kg to include all your luggage and kit, other passengers and a potential 5th seat (with passenger). I'm not 100% on that statement though, so await correction by someone who is better informed.

Whilst we're talking weight limits, if you're interested it has 2,500kg braked towable mass and 750kg unbraked.

@RetroRed5 If it helps you to decide on having the 5th seat installed, I have a very similar spec to you, only difference is that I have DynAudio and removable tow-bar, neither of which are going to make much difference. It did have a bike rack on it, but I don't know if that's included in the V5C weight details. Details for mine are:

Max permissible mass: 3080kg
Max in service mass: 2607kg

As I understand it, the Mass in Service weight includes driver + 75kg and 90% full tank of fuel.

Therefore, this should give you 473kg to include all your luggage and kit, other passengers and a potential 5th seat (with passenger). I'm not 100% on that statement though, so await correction by someone who is better informed.

Whilst we're talking weight limits, if you're interested it has 2,500kg braked towable mass and 750kg unbraked.

According to the brochure, the payload (before options) of a 4MOTION Ocean is 411 Kg, including 75 Kg driver. Minus 10 Kg for 80 Litre fuel tank and 30 Kg for 5th seat you have 371 Kg for options, accessories, any driver excess flab (this would be very significant in my case), four passengers and kit.

According to the brochure, the payload (before options) of a 4MOTION Ocean is 411 Kg, including 75 Kg driver. Minus 10 Kg for 80 Litre fuel tank and 30 Kg for 5th seat you have 371 Kg for options, accessories, any driver excess flab (this would be very significant in my case), four passengers and kit.

I know the brochure figures are different, but are they not generic? According to the VW brochure, it says that

"Unladen weight and payload may be influenced by trimline, factory options and Van Centre fitted accessories."

The figures I provided came from my own V5C for a California of a spec almost identical to the one ordered. As I understand, the V5C figures are for the actual specific vehicle, so two V5C figures may differ dependant on spec.

I've tried Googling what 'Mass in Service' weight did / did not include....the info seemed contradictory and depended on where you look. The government website doesn't even define 'Mass in Service', so that was no help. https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-weights-explained

Thanks all for the info; as far as I know based on what my dealer told me, the reason VW don't offer the 3rd rail (and therefore a fifth seat) in the 4M is down to weight, not so much because having the 5th seat pushes the Cali over the limit but rather it makes it "easier" to go beyond the limit when fully loaded. However, for us we anticipate only using the 5th seat when not camping and so we would likely be carrying much less "stuff" in the Cali when there is a 5th person on-board; besides, in my opinion the Cali is far less useful as a "camper" when the 5th seat is in place anyway; so I think for us, a 5th seat option would be for adding a little extra flexibility in terms of how we can use the Cali.

I guess I'm going to have to shed a few pounds because I aint no 75kg driver :embarrased

What we plan to do it take delivery with the standard 4 seats, run it for a few months and see how many times a 5th seat would have been useful and then make a decision as to whether we think it is worth the extra expense to get this done or not.

It's going to be a while yet before the Cali arrives but I'll certainly post a bunch of pics once he/she arrives ;)

Thanks all for the info; as far as I know based on what my dealer told me, the reason VW don't offer the 3rd rail (and therefore a fifth seat) in the 4M is down to weight, not so much because having the 5th seat pushes the Cali over the limit but rather it makes it "easier" to go beyond the limit when fully loaded. However, for us we anticipate only using the 5th seat when not camping and so we would likely be carrying much less "stuff" in the Cali when there is a 5th person on-board; besides, in my opinion the Cali is far less useful as a "camper" when the 5th seat is in place anyway; so I think for us, a 5th seat option would be for adding a little extra flexibility in terms of how we can use the Cali.

I guess I'm going to have to shed a few pounds because I aint no 75kg driver :embarrased
I'm off to the Yorkshire Dales with my parents and three brothers in mid August. Two brothers will be travelling there by train, so Amarillo will just be a runaround. The standard Beach payload is 620 Kg, and while my parents are a reasonable weight, my three brothers and I each carry significant additional lbs. With day luggage and a sixth seat we will be under the 695 Kg limit for driver, passengers and day luggage, but not by a big margin.

In terms of discount, based on the OTR price we got about 6.8% knocked off the price; so not too bad really.

We had planned on just purchasing the Cali outright but the dealer convinced me that we should use the PCP deal because doing it that way we get 2 services for free and also a £1000 deposit contribution; our intention is to take delivery and then settle the PCP within the first month or so.

Here is the spec I've ordered...

Model: California Ocean 2.0 BiTDI 204PS EU6 StopStart BlueMotion DSG 4MOTION

Factory options...
  • Two-tone - Candy White-Cherry Red
  • Alcantara - Moonrock Grey
  • Decorative Insert Dark Brushed Silver Decorative Strip in Lower Outside Body Colour
  • Bellow Colour of Pop-Up Roof - Strawberry Red
  • Cupboard with Dark Wood Trim-With Outdoor Shower Connection
  • Comfort Lighting
  • Cruise Control - Adaptive including Front Assist and City Emergency Braking - Max Speed 99mph
  • LED Headlights with LED Daytime Running and Tailgate with Red Tail Lights
  • Side Scan with Cruise Control
  • Laminated Glass Package in Cab incl. privacy in rear
  • Leather Multi-function Sports Steering Wheel and Gear Knob with Radio and Telephone Controls
  • Multi-function Display Premium with Multi-colour Display and Driver Alert System
  • Discover Media Navigation System Plus
  • Chrome Pack
  • Hill Descent Control
  • Fuel Tank 80 Litre
  • Dynamic Chassis Control
  • Reversing Camera with Front and Rear Parking Sensors
  • Electric Sliding Door - Drivers Side
  • Bed Extension with Comfort Sleeping Mat
  • High Beam Assist
  • Awning - Silver Rail and Housing
  • Magnetic Flashlight
  • Central Locking - 4 Remote Folding Keys
  • Mud Flaps - Front and Rear
  • Lockable Storage Compartment
Dealer options...
  • Chrome Effect Protection Strip On Tailgate
  • Stainless Steel Effect Rear Bumper Protector
  • Door Sill Guards
  • Angled Side Chrome Bars
  • Paint Protection, Quartz .
  • Rear Tints To 80% (on top of factory tints)
  • First Aid Kit, Warning Triangle, Hi Vis Vest
We've also included the following...
  • 18" Discus White Alloy Wheels (the retro style wheels from the GenSix Special Edition)
  • Tracker
In terms of extra "service", we've added...
  • 4 x Service Package (first 2 are free with PCP)
  • Extended Warranty to 5 Years

So it's going to be a pretty high-spec'd Cali ;)
Agreed it will be amazing spec

Nice spec, guessing there’s a reason you didn’t choose Adaptive Cruise over standard?

7th item on the list I thought?

Ahh, you’re right, I read it wrong.

To the buyer, don’t forget to get your 2 year extended warranty! £329 is a bargain but has to be taken out in the first 3 months.

Ahh, you’re right, I read it wrong.

To the buyer, don’t forget to get your 2 year extended warranty! £329 is a bargain but has to be taken out in the first 3 months.

I agree, the extended warranty is a very good deal; the dealer put this on their dealership order form so I won't forgot to buy it when I take delivery.

Back