Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Solar Surfing Cali..6.1 Help Wanted with setting up solar :)

H

HenrysSurfing

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hi :bananadance2

First time on here, new Cali 4x4 arriving mid September (had a T4 ten years ago but was just too slow to commute with :sad) and wanting to get everything ready for a surf trip down the west coast of europe come October. Hope some of you more experienced Cali owners might know the answer to a couple of questions.

1. Is there anyone who does specific setting up of the solar or anyone who would consider helping for payment? Im South Ease Based but happy to travel within reason.

Looking for around a 160w long but narrow flexi panel to cover half the roof running from front to back so surfboards don't block it on other half. Wanting a beautiful professional job done. Saw that Babble and Roger Donoghue did an amazing job on the inside especially with the battery display cut in to the plastic pillar above fridge / worktop. Not sure how to message them yet but will work that out im sure soon :headbang

2. Could someone please tell me the pop top roof dimensions of the width of the roof gunnels so I can buy Thule Roof Bars to fit, they come in 108cm - 118cm - 127cm - 135cm & 150cm (I think I need the 135cm don't want much overhang) . I am going to mount the bars very low so not using their bulky fixing points but bolting straight in to rails.

Also overall pop top dimensions so I can maximise the longest solar panel possible and get an idea of how much space will be left for the boards.

Hope I have made sense and not bored you all too much any help really really appreciated. It's been a long long time saving and cannot wait to get on the road :cheers

Hi :bananadance2

First time on here, new Cali 4x4 arriving mid September (had a T4 ten years ago but was just too slow to commute with :sad) and wanting to get everything ready for a surf trip down the west coast of europe come October. Hope some of you more experienced Cali owners might know the answer to a couple of questions.

1. Is there anyone who does specific setting up of the solar or anyone who would consider helping for payment? Im South Ease Based but happy to travel within reason.

Looking for around a 160w long but narrow flexi panel to cover half the roof running from front to back so surfboards don't block it on other half. Wanting a beautiful professional job done. Saw that Babble and Roger Donoghue did an amazing job on the inside especially with the battery display cut in to the plastic pillar above fridge / worktop. Not sure how to message them yet but will work that out im sure soon :headbang

2. Could someone please tell me the pop top roof dimensions of the width of the roof gunnels so I can buy Thule Roof Bars to fit, they come in 108cm - 118cm - 127cm - 135cm & 150cm (I think I need the 135cm don't want much overhang) . I am going to mount the bars very low so not using their bulky fixing points but bolting straight in to rails.

Also overall pop top dimensions so I can maximise the longest solar panel possible and get an idea of how much space will be left for the boards.

Hope I have made sense and not bored you all too much any help really really appreciated. It's been a long long time saving and cannot wait to get on the road :cheers
Might be worth checking out @Johnboy who sells his own low roof mounts, and other related items:

Guessing surfboards are likely to be removed at home, surfspot / campsite so woudn't worry too much about having a long half panel. + Engine charges batteries whilst driving. Would go for a @Roger Donoghue setup as they are very straightforward DIY fit. We have 3 panels as compensates for any shadow from empty roof bars...but looking at our actual output/consumption two panels would have more than sufficient for our needs.

I would just use standard roof bar feet as better to have a gap under the boards + solar panels will sit about 1cm above metal roof anyway. Would go for 150cms as gives you a good handhold when standing on the tyre to position / strap boards on the top. Can recommend Yakima Whispbars.

Might be worth checking out @Johnboy who sells his own low roof mounts, and other related items:

Found some brilliant ones on eBay. Really low profile.
For anyone that wants to look. Think I brought the last set though for now.

Guessing surfboards are likely to be removed at home, surfspot / campsite so woudn't worry too much about having a long half panel. + Engine charges batteries whilst driving. Would go for a @Roger Donoghue setup as they are very straightforward DIY fit. We have 3 panels as compensates for any shadow from empty roof bars...but looking at our actual output/consumption two panels would have more than sufficient for our needs.

I would just use standard roof bar feet as better to have a gap under the boards + solar panels will sit about 1cm above metal roof anyway. Would go for 150cms as gives you a good handhold when standing on the tyre to position / strap boards on the top. Can recommend Yakima Whispbars.
Thanks for the info I have gone for these in the end. Might well consider that with the solar.

767DC4FB-C359-4476-A166-F8BB631A1B98.png

These guys don’t do solar on Californias. Only the Transit versions as they said the electrics were different on the cali. :(
Roger at Solarcampersolutions does kits for the Cali, loads of members of this forum have them supplied by Roger, as did I on my previous T6 Ocean. Not sure what you’re looking at?

These guys don’t do solar on Californias. Only the Transit versions as they said the electrics were different on the cali. :(
You didn't take a good look. :cool:
I have one on my California, like many members here.

Screenshot_20220803-092943.jpg

Back