Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

solar panels

powysjune

powysjune

VIP Member
And another question...any advice on attaching photovoltaic panels to the van roof to top up the (single) leisure battery?

I used Sikaflex to stick a semi flexible PV panel to the roof of our old Bongo. Never had a problem over 10k miles so I shall be doing the same with the Cali. Got the panel but as no one seems to know what exactly is replaced with the paint blistering problem I haven't fitted it yet.
The Sikaflex method with a flat panel means only minimal height gain.
As the Cali roof has ridges in this is actually a good thing as it vents the underside of the panel to prevent overheating so don't be tempted to seal the edges all the way round.

I have been looking at solar panels for a while. Can't make my mind up yet. However some things I am now sure. I want 100w. I want a controller that can cope with Cali's AGM leisure batteries. I want to sort out the roof corrosion issue first. In the event of failure, I want the panel to be removable. I want the panel to to elevate to get correct angle to sun. I want it to fix to Cali's T rail. I want to to add no more than a few centimetres to overall height. I want to find a good way to bring in the cables from the panel to the battery without it looking like a bodge job. I don't want electrical hook up!!!... Still researching. I will post my ideas and shopping list soon. Sub £200 project.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great, look forward to sharing info. We're not sure about the efficiency of the flexible panels (my partner used to be an engineer at the Centre for Alternative technology) but the rigid ones do add extra height.

PS and sikaflex is so RV. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

powysjune said:
Great, look forward to sharing info. We're not sure about the efficiency of the flexible panels (my partner used to be an engineer at the Centre for Alternative technology) but the rigid ones do add extra height.

The semi flexible one on the Bongo was 100w. No problems running the fridge, lights, radio, occasionally TV. I was pleasantly surprised how it kept the leisure battery topped up even on dull days.
One of the reasons we went for the fixed semi flexible rather than something removable in a frame is noise. I tried a rigid removable one and the extra wind noise was really noticeable, similar to having a roof rack on. Total cost around £180 for the panel, controller, bit of cable and inline fuses/holders.

We have a fixed, rigid 140 Wp one. Does the job (keeping the leisure batteries topped up) nicely, also on dull days.
You can see it here:
DSC_0269.jpg
See the link in our signature for details.

If it wasn't for the potential threat of warranty work on the damn roof I would not hesitate to add a flat solar panel to the roof. The flat ones don't add height but the prospect of adhesion with Sikaflex is an issue versus warranty claims - if that ever turns out to be necessary.
I may look at some way of adding a flat / flexible panel to a sheet of aluminium and attach that to the roof rail slots but still have to find a way in for the cable.
I succeeded in this on a previous T5 camper that I converted but it had the factory steel roof which is a lot easier. I brought the 2 wires in via a pre-existing grommet (for tail lights) and the whole thing worked very well with a single leisure battery. Never had to top it up - never had to plug it in at a campsite.
Few hurdles to overcome but a very worthwhile addition particularly for wild camping IMO.
Assuming I get time to look at this will post details here.

PS - nice campsite Bart & Marga !! See why you went for a 4 Motion - a good choice! Do you rally your Cali?!

** OFF TOPIC **

777111 said:
PS - nice campsite Bart & Marga !! See why you went for a 4 Motion - a good choice! Do you rally your Cali?!
:D No, it is a picture from when we did a 4WD off road course with our Cali, a strange duck in a pool full of Landrovers and other heavy material.

Can put wires in rubber boot that is visable when tailgate is open.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Back