Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

solar panel (removable) on T5 facelift (waiting roof rot work)

Yep - that's exactly what I've recommended when installing. It takes a second to push it in there.

You'd also find that curly cord, that is rated at enough amps for efficient power delivery, would be very bulky. The cable I install is 2mm squ. I wouldn't want to go any smaller. That would make for some very chunky curly cable.

At work with the Cali and it's a beautiful sunny day.
Dinnertime temperature readings with an infra red thermometer,
Solar panel 44c
Top of black awning 34c
Roof, reflex silver, 31c
Ambient 19.5c

Please forgive the question if it has been asked before - I haven't found it in the search or reading through this thread. Does Roger's kit work in conjunction with the roof bars (VW ones, with a Thule box - if it can take the weight without blowing the 50kg limit). Not too worried if the roof box rear obscures part of the panel but don't want to have to remove one for the other to fit).

Ordered my panel kit on Monday, delivered on Wednesday fitted Saturday and Sunday. Great service from Roger at Solar Camper Solutions:thumb
Some of photos of the installation.

20150823_160945_zpsnn0zcsya.jpg

20150823_124739_zps3vk25hvo.jpg

20150823_170255_zps4ldkyqpn.jpg

image.jpeg image.jpeg
Ordered my panel kit on Monday, delivered on Wednesday fitted Saturday and Sunday. Great service from Roger at Solar Camper Solutions:thumb
Some of photos of the installation.

20150823_160945_zpsnn0zcsya.jpg

20150823_124739_zps3vk25hvo.jpg

20150823_170255_zps4ldkyqpn.jpg

A great thread with lots of ideas for fitting solar panels. I find the MT50 a bit bulky and unattractive using the connector box, but cutting holes in the wardrobe frame could be seen as permanent and possibly costly! I have tried a halfway house that is easy to return to original spec if necessary by fitting into the trim for the window pillar just above the fridge. It's easily removed and has a convenient recess about in the middle. The cable is just long enough to go from the rear cupboard through the wardrobe and feed through the lower trim just above the fridge.
Bad news is if you want to return to standard spec a new trim panel part no 7H7 867 287 is about £100. !!

Nice very tidy fitting into the window pillar. I will talk to Roger before fitting. Can't ever see my Cali getting sold so not an issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hello. I would like to install a solar panel from http://www.solarcampersolutions.co.uk/ on my 2016 California Beach. Is there anybody here who has fitted this solution to his Cali Beach? I'm interested in some pics with mounting location of the mppt and display.
Where is the best place to mount the mppt controller? in the trunk or maybe under the passenger seat? Also how did you do guide the wires from back to front?

thank you!

Have you tried asking Roger Donoghue from Solar camper solutions for suggestions? He has provided some very detailed instructions for the SE and was trying to do the same for a Beach when I met him.

I asked Roger but he forwarded me to this thread for a second or third opinion :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 14043 View attachment 14044

A great thread with lots of ideas for fitting solar panels. I find the MT50 a bit bulky and unattractive using the connector box, but cutting holes in the wardrobe frame could be seen as permanent and possibly costly! I have tried a halfway house that is easy to return to original spec if necessary by fitting into the trim for the window pillar just above the fridge. It's easily removed and has a convenient recess about in the middle. The cable is just long enough to go from the rear cupboard through the wardrobe and feed through the lower trim just above the fridge.
Bad news is if you want to return to standard spec a new trim panel part no 7H7 867 287 is about £100. !!

I like that - I'll offer that as an option when fitting.

I fitted the kit in a Beach today. I'll put it in a seperate thread as this one is getting a bit long...

View attachment 14043 View attachment 14044

Hi, please can you give to me any information about the installation in the pillar trim. In particular I need to know how did you solve the problem of the connector thickness. I tried also with a connector at 90° but is always too bulky. Thanks in advance.

I fit these quite often, including the new 6.1 and they always go in fine.

I use a hole cutter on my drill. The hole is cut centrally so the slight indent in the metal pillar behind the plastic panel is central. I mount both the MT50 and the MT11 with no space problems. You have to push the plastic panel back on firmly. The MT50 uses an RJ45 plug (network) and the MT11 uses a proprietry connector. Both fit.

screen on pillar.jpeg

I fit these quite often, including the new 6.1 and they always go in fine.

I use a hole cutter on my drill. The hole is cut centrally so the slight indent in the metal pillar behind the plastic panel is central. I mount both the MT50 and the MT11 with no space problems. You have to push the plastic panel back on firmly. The MT50 uses an RJ45 plug (network) and the MT11 uses a proprietry connector. Both fit.

View attachment 70258
Hi, I recently changed my controller to a victron smart controller, which to some degree made the need for the MT50 redundant. To remove it was going to either leave a hole or require the purchase a new C pillar trim. So as I found it handy to have the in van remote display I decided to upgrade to the victron one. Just using the display and the angle VE connector did not have enough space behind the trim so by fitting the Victron mounting panel I managed to cover the old MT50 hole and create enough space for the VE Direct angle connector.

CBEA5A94-FE0F-46E4-ADB5-C9D4941AE747.jpeg84EFE5B3-239C-4C23-A7DC-6AC537070C5B.jpegCBEA5A94-FE0F-46E4-ADB5-C9D4941AE747.jpeg84EFE5B3-239C-4C23-A7DC-6AC537070C5B.jpeg