Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

So who is into model making?

I guess it doesn't qualify as a model, but I saw this online and am trying my hand at making it.
cabinet.jpg
just wow

Latest model. The Aviator.

Had something like this back in the early 60’s, but not built out of wood.

I made this one -a subhatch- with blocks that I had lying around from when I was young, based on online photos of the original lego. Later I bought the one from Lego too ... I really could not resist ;)
FotoJet.jpg

I think your version, especially as you haven't resorted to making purpose made bricks for the tricky bits is fantastic.

Can you now please do a design & include instructions for a T6.1

Thanks in anticipation.

A few years ago (2013) I was an usher at my friends wedding. His mrs was really into VW campervans so he bought her the lego campervan as one of the wedding gifts but didn’t like the red and white colour scheme.

I helped him to change the colour (using cans of lavender spray dye) of the red blocks to match the purple from the wedding colour scheme.

It took us a few nights to do it, but the finish was incredible. The only visible red left was under the garage door as you can see below.

38D31A7B-3F0C-48E4-AFE2-59D64F120549.jpeg

BF95B375-C1AC-43E2-8D8E-70C39C50CD8C.jpeg

698BFF4E-C9C8-4A7C-B554-11B22F09631C.jpeg

I’ve just built mine today with my 5 year old.
Lego is fantastic for father/son bonding.
Lovely rainy day project.

The Veeduber in me, now wants to mod it... :)
B14E4081-3D18-49F4-BD82-BA831AF38A4F.jpeg

B60D85A8-821C-417B-8465-C11EAF911AC7.jpeg

Last edited:
Can anyone who is into model making recommend a relatively inexpensive spray gun?

If you go on you tube and type in 'model spray gun' loads of different ones come up, some good some not so good.

Please forgive me for digressing from the topic a little but this is an interesting thread that reminded me of my first steps in employment.

I started my working life having trained as an industrial model and pattern maker following a three year diploma course at the Medway College of Art and Design. It's now gone all poncy and pretentious calling itself the, University of the Creative Arts.

My first job after leaving college was working for Rovex Triang. They were mainly known for their model railway products. However, during my short time with them working as a member of their secret squirrel production development team, saw me working on various much less interesting jobs. My involvement in developing these prototype toys including vitaly important tasks such as helping to shape the legs for the new Sindy Doll, (Barbie Doll's cheap trashy cousin).
20210426_123430.jpg
Here's the little minx sporting one of her saucy flowery seventies numbers. I know, it was really important work! Another memorable project was the Chatter Chimp. Don't ask! We parted company after a disagreement over pay or rather the insufficient supply of it.

I then went to work for the Tactics Squadron of the Royal Military Engineers making large scale topographical landscape models. A condition of employment was to sign the Official Secrets Act so if I explained any further then presumably I'd run the risk of having to spend some time at one of Her Majesty's establishments. Incidentally, at that time I was working at Who and my future wife was employed at Wye.

Anyway, after a short period working there I decided that Model and Pattern making was a dead end employment prospect and so it has turned out to be. Whereas new products used to go from the drawing board to a realistic mock up model and then when approved, on to the pattern making stage before eventual production, nowadays we have CAD, 3D printers and whole range of other sophisticated CNC methods that make the Model and Pattern maker of bygone years largely redundant.

So model making these days has largely been reduced to a creative pastime.

Last edited:
Shocking! Sindy was clearly Barbie’s classy cousin
Maybe you're right. As I've since learnt, Barbie has had a well publicised high profile relationship with some macho guy called Ken whereas Sindy has always kept her love interests to herself. As my dear wife has just pointed out, Sindy was sweet and demure and not a brassy materialistic tart. However, my comment also referred to the quality and price of this product.

Last edited:
Please forgive me for digressing from the topic a little but this is an interesting thread that reminded me of my first steps in employment.

I started my working life having trained as an industrial model and pattern maker following a three year diploma course at the Medway College of Art and Design. It's now gone all poncy and pretentious calling itself the, University of the Creative Arts.

My first job after leaving college was working for Rovex Triang. They were mainly known for their model railway products. However, during my short time with them working as a member of their secret squirrel production development team, saw me working on various much less interesting jobs. My involvement in developing these prototype toys including vitaly important tasks such as helping to shape the legs for the new Sindy Doll, (Barbie Doll's cheap trashy cousin).
View attachment 77394
Here's the little minx sporting one of her saucy flowery seventies numbers. I know, it was really important work! Another memorable project was the Chatter Chimp. Don't ask! We parted company after a disagreement over pay or rather the insufficient supply of it.

I then went to work for the Tactics Squadron of the Royal Military Engineers making large scale topographical landscape models. A condition of employment was to sign the Official Secrets Act so if I explained any further then presumably I'd run the risk of having to spend some time at one of Her Majesty's establishments. Incidentally, at that time I was working at Who and my future wife was employed at Wye.

Anyway, after a short period working there I decided that Model and Pattern making was a dead end employment prospect and so it has turned out to be. Whereas new products used to go from the drawing board to a realistic mock up model and then when approved, on to the pattern making stage before eventual production, nowadays we have CAD, 3D printers and whole range of other sophisticated CNC methods that make the Model and Pattern maker of bygone years largely redundant.

So model making these days has largely been reduced to a creative pastime.
I spent some time at Harrow College of Technology and Art, makes me smile when passing it on the Chiltern Line these days - it’s now the University of Westminster :)

On your point about model/pattern makers. I remember during my apprenticeship the skill of the guys in the Tool Room. From drawings created in the Drawing Office, they would create wonderful press tools, injection moulds, etc. Like you say now a bygone skill.

You did a good job. Did you use a real life model?
Not that I recall but as I said I only helped. The main modeller was an experienced older chap who unlike me at that time, was probably more familiar with the full extent of ladies legs. I knew ladies had them but that was about it. Alas, having just left college my status at the time was not very far above that of tea boy.

Last edited:
Back