Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

So I'm thinking of adding a caravan for some trips and have questions.

Ocean Spirit

Ocean Spirit

Eating Ice Cream, skimming stones.
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
So on a few longer breaks when the weather has been :rolleyes:....BRITISH, I get fed up with 3 to 4 people a bit cooped up for hours.
During many trips to the site amenities I see caravaners lording it on sofa sized seats with the wine flowing and ability to stretch the legs and stay warm and dry.

Now don't get me wrong, I bought the California for many purposes that it will continue to serve so its staying and if it were a straight choice of Cali or Caravan I'd keep the Cali.
But!!!!
I wouldn't mind that extra comfort and space at times when there re a few of us.
The California is deemed suitable within all the relevant weight guidelines to tow. Caravan and my choices would fall short of the recommended maximum weights but I'd like to still have the Cali with me as the Tow vehicle for the obvious benefits it has.
Just for info, I think motorhomes are the worst of both worlds not the best of....so not considering that.

• Any bad experiences (not stuff you've read elsewhere about premature wear to shafts etc just your own real experiences)?
  • What would campsites make of it when you book a single pitch for a caravan and park your car California next to it as the tow vehicle with its extra capability?
  • Would anything make you bite the bullet and tow with something else separating the Cali trips from the Caravan trips?

Towing a caravan can be a proverbial pain in the backside. I'm parked next to my Sister's caravan having just paid £70 to a caravan mechanic to come and replace the jockey wheel clamp. Apart from niggles like things going wrong with the caravan the Cali is a brilliant tow car. However if you want anything out of the tailgate once you are hitched up, tough!

On a CAMC site, sharing one pitch, no problem as long as the Cali is not used for habitation .... i.e. No cooking and EHU stays with the caravan. Up until now I've had no problem elsewhere but post Covid a lot of other operators are now saying "only one habitation unit per pitch" which means booking two pitches.

As regards point three, the whole point of us having the caravan is that we can go away together but have separate bedrooms so no, only the Cali tows the caravan!

Thanks @GrannyJen I knew you'd offer me your experience.
I never thought about the tailgate conundrum. I kind of figured operators might have reservations about the potential use of the VW but would much prefer they took a lightweight approach to it.
:thumb

I have sadly, very sadly, just sold my Cali over the tail gate conundrum.
If I could have had a 2 bench seat Beach with double sliding doors, so access to dog crates... I’d be there.

We are newbies as far as a caravan is concerned, but having both the Cali and Eriba 430 has been great, with no issues or questions at any of the sites we’ve stayed at. We’re currently on a 2 week trip to Dorset and Welsh New Quay, and we park the Eriba up and go off in the Cali for day trips. Love it. Indeed so much that we’re looking at the next size up (Troll 530), so a 430 will be for sale at some point..

We are newbies as far as a caravan is concerned, but having both the Cali and Eriba 430 has been great, with no issues or questions at any of the sites we’ve stayed at. We’re currently on a 2 week trip to Dorset and Welsh New Quay, and we park the Eriba up and go off in the Cali for day trips. Love it. Indeed so much that we’re looking at the next size up (Troll 530), so a 430 will be for sale at some point..
That sounds right on the money of my intentions and when we do a shorter trip or it's just me the California would remain my weapon. Thanks for the info regarding the lack of questions.

We bought a Troll 530 for the loo if I am honest.

However, it has proved to be ideal with the Cali. The extra space is good and having the ability to leave the bed made is delightful. It tows well provided the nose weight is right and I haven’t bought any extra mirrors, although it could be argued I should have.

The only down side is the worry of being routed by your SatNav down unsuitable roads, although I do have a new SatNav on order, that hasn’t arrived yet.

One other is the ‘Eriba Kiss’!
I am 6ft tall so the door is low and the pop top stops just above the double bed. Adjusting to the door was fine once I started putting my hand up on the top of the frame as I entered and exited. The roof was more difficult so I have attached a length of pipe insulation to the edge as a temporary measure.

We are currently on site in Herefordshire and I have realised my head is not sore, so I surmise I have learnt to duck

Alan