Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

So apart from...

KernowLad

Gone, but not forgotten!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
…almost universal roof corrosion, multiple steering column replacements, a large number of EGR valve failures, a number of DPF issues and for us, a new rear diff (not a common one admittedly) and a roof that shreds the bellows these £45k++ VW Californias are pretty reliable really aren't they? ;) :laugh2

KernowLad said:
…almost universal roof corrosion, multiple steering column replacements, a large number of EGR valve failures, a number of DPF issues and for us, a new rear diff (not a common one admittedly) and a roof that shreds the bellows these £45k++ VW Californias are pretty reliable really aren't they? ;) :laugh2

38k miles
2 House moves
2 years of motoring from the streets of Essex to the country roads of Devon
Numerous shopping trips
Taken us all over the country
Used daily

There are issues, no doubt and the roof is a pretty poor, but in context, stirring it up doesn't help.

You forgot to add you also suffer from wheelspin :) :)

If I felt that worried about my Cali I would get rid of it :doh
I would only change it for ---------------another one Works for me

HY09UMU said:
If I felt that worried about my Cali I would get rid of it :doh
I would only change it for ---------------another one Works for me

Agreed.

Interesting and unexpected responses.

We like ours a lot, just surprised at the number of issues.

Worried? Not really.

Anyway, I'll wait for the amusing members to reply… :thumb

This is a post from another forum.

+
-
Hi there. Got my new 2014 T2 three months ago. Been away a few times already. Great trips. Love our van. However. Exasperated at too many examples of poor workmanship in ********* Bad paintwork finish, (now re-done.) Nearside wing mirror fell off! (Now replaced.) Canvas had two holes in it. (Now replaced.) Headliner had bare wood exposed. (Now re-done.) Offside under seat leaked whenever it rained. Also, from windscreen. (Now replaced.) Radio not working. (Now replaced.) Side of sink plastic strip hanging off. (Now mended.) High pitch whistling sound when on the move. (Apparently remedied. But still ongoing...) Upper bed base easily unhinged on the move and crashing back and forth. (Remedied with an extra bolt. Didn't work, that came loose too. Straps and poppers added. On the drive back to London, those broke and lo and behold, crash/bang from end to end. Ongoing...) We love our camper and the front line team of ********,*********,*********,lovely. But fed up with some appalling workmanship at ********* Especially after £42,000+ Hoping things get better and I don't have to keep going from London to ******(a long and expensive round trip) trying to get these things put right. Hanging in there and still love our new
member of the family.

It appears that its not only Cali's that have problems.

I have mixed feelings. Yes, things go wrong, but so early in the life of a new vehicle?

8 month old Cali:

1. Paint bubble on main roof (logged with VW)
2. 1 x failed control panel replaced under warranty
3. 2 x sliding table replacements (trim edge not glued on/ second had buckled corner)
4. Severe steering knock (logged with VW)
5. Paint turning black (coming off?) rear tailgate handle (logged with VW)
6. Headlining washers falling/breaking off

We only use the Cali at weekends, barely covered 4,000 miles. This isn't heavy use or rough handling.

KernowLad said:
Interesting and unexpected responses.

We like ours a lot, just surprised at the number of issues.

Worried? Not really.

Anyway, I'll wait for the amusing members to reply… :thumb

Thing is on all forums like this, we really only hear about the problem vehicles, if I had tons of issues with mine I'd post more but the facts are, it's a small percentage that have problems and there are thousands of very happy owners out there. My consolations to those who are experiencing issues, stick with it, get them sorted as these are great fun to own and use ;-)

I have to say I have been made aware of problems I did not know I had on here.... its a worthwhile forum but I do wish there were more pics and stories of peoples adventures.... :p

MKRW said:
I have to say I have been made aware of problems I did not know I had on here.... its a worthwhile forum but I do wish there were more pics and stories of peoples adventures.... :p
I agree, maybe we should have a ' Positive section' however, one would expect it to be demonised by moans and groans.

Forums such as this one are inevitably going to highlight issues with the subject vehicle and have become almost a way of life with most things.

eg. in 2007 I test rode a new BMW f800 series motorcycle which died on me for no reason at a set of traffic lights. When I returned to the showroom and reported this a salesman told me to check out the F800 forum online where many had detailed similar problems occurring. BMW took note and resolved the problems, eventually. It didn't stop me buying one.

When you're spending £40k + on a vehicle it's good to know that you have somewhere independent to go if you experience problems and, as with the roof corrosion problems currently being discussed, it shows that sharing information can result in a positive outcome.

We have all parted with a significant amount of cash in return for a quality product that we expect to do what it says on the tin, i.e. deliver an enjoyable experience with a minimum of hassle from a reputable manufacturer that we put trust in.

It's no bad thing if forums highlight problems that make the manufacturers take notice, they know that there is no hiding place nowadays as information is freely available because of sites such as this.

But lets not get bogged down with negativity. We buy Cali's because we want to get out there and enjoy the experience. So do it! If you get a problem, sure let others know, but remember to have fun along the way. :bananadance

7,000 miles and the only problem that I have is that the smile on my face is becoming fixed.

I can't say that mine has been treated gently. Crashed and bashed over 7 miles of "road closed due to damage" in Scotland, ploughed through mud at Harland, plunged down a track on the north wales coast that would have been a challenge for goats,

Albert is now in Summer repose, no great trecking until Autumn, instead being used as a spare bedroom, a dog taki to neighbouring beaches and a collection vehicle ofr oversized deliveries.

Back