Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

SMG Cowfold - losing the Midas touch?

Has anyone had any recent experience - good or bad - from SMG Cowfold? I'll wait to see how an unsatisfactory matter is resolved before posting any photographs. So far, based on yesterday’s experience, they score 0/10. My California has come away with more damage than it went in for.

EDIT
Mods..... if this post is still up for approval, here are the photographs which you can edit out if you want to..
Oily shoes
Dirty fingers
Ill cut and ill fitting sedal
Damage to existing trim
These are after the "repair" had been made. The roof tium around the light is altoegther new dmage, as are the screwdriver indents into the existing trim.

View attachment 108968

View attachment 108971

View attachment 108973

View attachment 108974

View attachment 108976

View attachment 108977

View attachment 108978

View attachment 108980

View attachment 108981
Thats a shame for such an expensive vehicle. I have had dirty marks before, but no damage. Having said that, they have only undertaken a service in the past. I rarely use SMG as they always seem more expensive, and my recent experience (when i phoned) a service representative left me thinking they should invest in training people skills… i would add that the chap at the service desk was very good.. overall 5/10 for me..

People often seem to think the warranties are good value but surely when the service is this bad I can’t see why anyone would lock themselves into work by VW van centres.
I presume most people haven’t actually had to get work done. So for 5 or so years it’s seems great but the minute you need them to fix something you’re in a lottery situation. So many stories of vans with serious damage.
I’ve always thought all the various roof tape/replacement cowl fixes look terrible.

I love both my VWs, but VW will never see them again.
Totally agree @Lambeth Cali I have used independents for the last 12 years unless I’m desperate.

I have used them and they have been ok but never had to do anything beyond routine servicing. About to come off the care plan, any recommendations for a good independent alternative in that area? I am in Haywards Heath.

I now service mine myself. I know its done right and I know what oil has gone in the engine. Theres some right cornballs working at vw. If service history matters on resale then someone has to take my word for it.

I now service mine myself. I know it’s done right and I know what oil has gone in the engine. Theres some right cornballs working at vw. If service history matters on resale then someone has to take my word for it.
It seems that VW van dealers are only used to servicing fleet vans so no one cares and to take it back means the van is not making any money. So van dealers get few complaints so all must be well.
I was told by a VW dealer a few months ago that if you get a customer service call from VW can you only give 5 out of 5 was he would lose some or all of this bonus. Maybe if they offered 5 out of 5 service they would not have to ask.
I purchased a Caravelle about 2 months ago from a VW dealer and for my px they only wanted to know if it had been serviced I did not get any extra because it was main dealer serviced. Maybe even the VW dealer network don’t place much faith in their network service departments.
Unless the van still has a manufacturers warranty I would think that even servicing it yourself should not be a problem. As an engineer I would welcome talking to someone about the services they have carried out and bits they have replaced. This to me would show that the van was well looked after. Years ago I used to service my Golf GTi myself and I know for a fact that I serviced more regularly than if I had taken it to a garage.

This chap is ex VW mechanic. Sorted out my suspension and was able to diagnose the fault after a quick drive. I’d asked SMG to have a look and give me an idea of problem (I had good idea what it was) when it was in for a service, their assessment was “yes there is a knock”.

Because of this thread and my previous issue last year I asked my local garage that look after 5 other cars in the household for a quote on cambelt and water pump change. Vw were £770, local garage were £550 using genuine parts.
Guess who I booked in with !
Plus the VAT?.......Breeze quoted me £760 + VAT

I booked the van in for an MOT it then developed a fault with the rear wheel sensor, rang them three days before the van was due in and informed them it would need replacing. Despite this the sensor was not replaced and failed the day after we picked the van up, contacted them and couldn’t fit me in for three weeks, was told by the guy on service that they are extremely busy, I said I’m not surprised if your having to do things twice.
I personally wouldn’t use them again the service is shocking and communication with the customer is non existent. I filled out the “Rate your experience”questionnaire and gave an honest review on the lamentable service surprise surprise no response.
Is there a good independent garage to use as SMG Cowfold won’t be getting my money again.

Following this thread with interest as have used SMG Cowfold in the past, have always been ok but never outstanding. Do people have experience of SMG Tonbrige ?
Where did Jason go ?

I went to SMG Cowfold every year for servicing and they were decent.
Then March/April this year wasn’t good with them and they p*ssed me off.

They couldn’t find me on their system to book me in, despite 6 previous visits. That was corrected, twice. (Small thing but maybe a warning)

Pre advised them about a saggy roof issue (1 yr old van), lifting Heli tape on roof and broken 12v torch that I wanted looked at under warranty at the same time as the service - because it’s around 3 hour round trip for me.

Turned up on the day, met with blank stare and told they didn’t have me booked in. After some effort (mostly from me) they find my booking - they still had my name wrong (3rd time).

As they couldn’t get that right, thought I’d better check they still had the other issues down to be looked at as arranged. Bloke defensively says, ‘we can’t do that - it’s not part of the service’ - I explained I’d pre-asked for it to be looked at so in the end it was given a glance (or was it?) and I was told that they didn’t really have time to investigate the saggy roof in depth.

They did replace the Heli Tape but the torch - just like the last torch that broke and they never bothered to help with, is still broken. The roof drops after about 2 hours and it’s never done one of those re-tension- after- a- day, cycles.

The bit that p*ssed me off the most though…. Gave the van a quick once over before leaving and the roof hadn’t been closed properly (about 1cm open so not obvious without standing up on the door steps) and they hadn’t shut the bonnet properly either - it was just resting on the latch.

Would the drag from the roof have stopped me reaching the speed at which the bonnet flew up? Who knows.

Went back in and told the service chap who apologised and said he’d have a world with the ‘technician’
(#ithinksomeonemayhaveembellishedhiscv) but, I left feeling that they couldn’t really give a toss and aren’t particularly competent - in a, ‘they oiled the tyres and put air in the engine’, kinda way.

It’s like they literally went from hero to zero in the space of a year.

If anyone can recommend a decent main dealer within an hour or so of SW London - please let me know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Given how little actual work is involved in todays comedy extended service intervals they should be desperate for real work to do, and to dit well. Another reason to buy an older van and DIY maintenance, clearly this bunch shouldn't be trusted with fixing a £500 golf let alone a £65k cali.

I went to SMG Cowfold every year for servicing and they were decent.
Then March/April this year wasn’t good with them and they p*ssed me off.

They couldn’t find me on their system to book me in, despite 6 previous visits. That was corrected, twice. (Small thing but maybe a warning)

Pre advised them about a saggy roof issue (1 yr old van), lifting Heli tape on roof and broken 12v torch that I wanted looked at under warranty at the same time as the service - because it’s around 3 hour round trip for me.

Turned up on the day, met with blank stare and told they didn’t have me booked in. After some effort (mostly from me) they find my booking - they still had my name wrong (3rd time).

As they couldn’t get that right, thought I’d better check they still had the other issues down to be looked at as arranged. Bloke defensively says, ‘we can’t do that - it’s not part of the service’ - I explained I’d pre-asked for it to be looked at so in the end it was given a glance (or was it?) and I was told that they didn’t really have time to investigate the saggy roof in depth.

They did replace the Heli Tape but the torch - just like the last torch that broke and they never bothered to help with, is still broken. The roof drops after about 2 hours and it’s never done one of those re-tension- after- a- day, cycles.

The bit that p*ssed me off the most though…. Gave the van a quick once over before leaving and the roof hadn’t been closed properly (about 1cm open so not obvious without standing up on the door steps) and they hadn’t shut the bonnet properly either - it was just resting on the latch.

Would the drag from the roof have stopped me reaching the speed at which the bonnet flew up? Who knows.

Went back in and told the service chap who apologised and said he’d have a world with the ‘technician’
(#ithinksomeonemayhaveembellishedhiscv) but, I left feeling that they couldn’t really give a toss and aren’t particularly competent - in a, ‘they oiled the tyres and put air in the engine’, kinda way.

It’s like they literally went from hero to zero in the space of a year.

If anyone can recommend a decent main dealer within an hour or so of SW London - please let me know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
WTF is the matter with garages at the moment. It’s like everybody has lost their mind.
That’s such terrible service, I’d write to the MD or CCO and explain.
It’s not just bad service it’s dangerous.
If somebody without the know how, like your self, had driven off, there would have have been a danger to other road users.
What an absolute Shower of sh1t3

Six month update

At least some of the parts required have been ordered and have now arrived. Other parts probably still have to be ordered.

I’ve dropped the van off this morning for an assessment. Apparently new staff (including ex SMG Croydon).

I’ll let you know.

Six month update

At least some of the parts required have been ordered and have now arrived. Other parts probably still have to be ordered.

I’ve dropped the van off this morning for an assessment. Apparently new staff (including ex SMG Croydon).

I’ll let you know.
Be interested to know, am due my first major service (part of a service plan) and this concerns me. SMG are my local dealer for that sort of thing, it has had a minor service there previously. The van itself came from the Tonbridge branch and is not so close.

Be interested to know, am due my first major service (part of a service plan) and this concerns me. SMG are my local dealer for that sort of thing, it has had a minor service there previously. The van itself came from the Tonbridge branch and is not so close.
I'll let you know.

Another month passes - update

Having left the van with Cowfold so that they could assess properly what was required and to possibly fit any parts that had already been obtained, no work has been done on the van (except give it a wash). Needing the van over Christmas, I picked it up this morning. Still awaiting missing parts.

Having dropped off the van in mid-November, I had telephoned them to ask that the freshwater tank be emptied during the recent very cold spell. They didn’t – I’ve just emptied it out on return to home.

Awaiting a further appointment once the back-order parts arrive.

Will it be fixed within a year of original damage?

Further updates to follow.

Another month passes - update

Having left the van with Cowfold so that they could assess properly what was required and to possibly fit any parts that had already been obtained, no work has been done on the van (except give it a wash). Needing the van over Christmas, I picked it up this morning. Still awaiting missing parts.

Having dropped off the van in mid-November, I had telephoned them to ask that the freshwater tank be emptied during the recent very cold spell. They didn’t – I’ve just emptied it out on return to home.

Awaiting a further appointment once the back-order parts arrive.

Will it be fixed within a year of original damage?

Further updates to follow.
I would have been having a month of sleepless nights if I’d left my van in their yard! l assume it’s still packed full with no room to manoeuvre?

I would have been having a month of sleepless nights if I’d left my van in their yard! l assume it’s still packed full with no room to manoeuvre?
The yard was indeed full. But we emerged unscathed.

Back