Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Smell of rubber and fan running on

LRGS253

LRGS253

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
When I switch the ignition off I sometimes get a smell of burning rubber and a loud noise from the fan running on. This is intermittent and does not always happen. Does anyone have any idea what it is? Sounds like he cooling fan.

Not super versed in these fans and pretty sure moderns ones don't use a belt anymore but an electric motor so my best guess would be the fan bearing. Fans will run on for a little while to cool the radiator but they should not smell of rubber or make loud noises.

its normal. it happens when the van is trying to do a regen of the dpf in the exhaust . the engine runs hotter to heat up the pipe and burn off the soot particulates in the filter. if you stop the van half way through this then the main fan keeps running a while to cool down the engine bay
the smell will be the 'newness' wearing off

its normal. it happens when the van is trying to do a regen of the dpf in the exhaust . the engine runs hotter to heat up the pipe and burn off the soot particulates in the filter. if you stop the van half way through this then the main fan keeps running a while to cool down the engine bay
the smell will be the 'newness' wearing off
Smell can persist for a long time. You never quite get used to it in terms of walking away from a carpark when it's still 'roaring' away.

Back