Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Slime tyre sealant

Freeley

Freeley

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
In short, is it any good?
I was thinking of getting a couple of cans to keep in the cali in case of punctures, maybe even put it in all 4 tyres now before we go abroad in September.
Just wondered if anybody has used it and if it's all it's cracked up to be?

Freeley said:
In short, is it any good?
I was thinking of getting a couple of cans to keep in the cali in case of punctures, maybe even put it in all 4 tyres now before we go abroad in September.
Just wondered if anybody has used it and if it's all it's cracked up to be?
Once slime is in a tyre they can not repair it as is nigh on impossible to clean it all out & patches don't stick. So OK to use in emergency & be prepared to scrap the tyre.

You can buy the factory type stuff if you want. Look on eBay there are loads of them with the compressor.

Continental is the usual makers of the mobility kit and they are for a number of different car brands including Ford and Renault as well as VW group brands.

Slime can be cleaned up to patch as it is water based. I have some but not had to use it yet!

Stu said:
You can buy the factory type stuff if you want. Look on eBay there are loads of them with the compressor.

Continental is the usual makers of the mobility kit and they are for a number of different car brands including Ford and Renault as well as VW group brands.
Typical I've just bought a standalone compressor!
Just thought it might be an idea to have some in the van for emergencies particularly given how difficult it is to get alloys off the wheels.
Cheers for replies will probably get some anyway

I used it in motorbikes for years and never had a puncture but then that's the idea, it seals them as they occur :D
I always used Ultraseal/Puncture safe if that helps.

I carry an aerosol can (not slime brand) in all my cars, purely for emergency use. I have used it once before and it got me to the tyre shop. I did not fancy driving my vr6 golf with a space saver on the front.

Tyre fitters don't like these aerosols as cleaning it out is a pain. But I have seen tyre fitters bouncing up and down on an exhaust pipe being used to increase leverage on a long bar, in an attempt to remove the wheels of a 911.

But slime brand is very easy to remove. I use this in some of my cycle tyres. It is a horrible vivid green colour' but rinses away extremely easily.

The vivid colour is to help identify a puncture that has been "sealed"