Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sliding door stuck

danvan

danvan

VIP Member
Vehicle
Motorhome
My sliding door won’t open. It’s a manual door with power latch. The rear of the door seems to release (there is a noise from the motor), but not the front. Same issue whether I open from the inside or outside. When I lock and unlock it the lock button moves fine. Any thoughts?

My sliding door won’t open. It’s a manual door with power latch. The rear of the door seems to release (there is a noise from the motor), but not the front. Same issue whether I open from the inside or outside. When I lock and unlock it the lock button moves fine. Any thoughts?
Once unlocked, from inside the van, push the door out at the rear (push out from the rear middle at the same level as the door handle). If there is another person available, a gentle pull from the outside front at the same time will also help. I reckon, with a T5 180, it may be the rollers at their end of life and a relatively simple replacement if they are worn.

Once open, you can then determine where the issue is. We may be able to help if you post a few pics. :thumb

Once unlocked, from inside the van, push the door out at the rear (push out from the rear middle at the same level as the door handle). If there is another person available, a gentle pull from the outside front at the same time will also help. I reckon, with a T5 180, it may be the rollers at their end of life and a relatively simple replacement if they are worn.

Once open, you can then determine where the issue is. We may be able to help if you post a few pics. :thumb
Thanks, I’ve just tried that but the front of the door seems like it’s still locked into position. I’m only getting a motor noise from the rear, I can’t remember now whether the front also has a release motor. I’ve attached some photos on how far it moves, not sure they will be of much use.

30F2F018-4587-435A-B867-23F99B889689.jpeg

217D5BF5-B304-4BFB-BCB1-1FBF1F7BC519.jpeg

Thanks, I’ve just tried that but the front of the door seems like it’s still locked into position. I’m only getting a motor noise from the rear, I can’t remember now whether the front also has a release motor. I’ve attached some photos on how far it moves, not sure they will be of much use.

View attachment 76241

View attachment 76242
No release motor on the Front.
Sounds as if the mechanical side of the lock has not disengaged at the front.

View attachment 76241

View attachment 76242

The front of the door does not have any locking mechanism. Only has three slots - two that hold the door in place and one that provides connectors.

The bottom connector on the van body front. There is a similar one at the top.

Bottom.jpg

The middle connector on the van body.

Middle.jpg

Below is a pic of the rear mechanism from which the door lock has to unhitch itself with the power mechanism. Do you have some WD40 that you can spray into this mechanism from the little gap that is open? Leave it overnight and try again to open tomorrow.

PXL_20210405_174934200.jpg

Because the door does not have any locking mechanism up front, it is OK to use your fist to give the door at the top, bottom and middle portion a strong tap - to dislodge, if it is stuck.

OK, another think I would try - let me see if I can explain this. Keep the rear of the door lightly pressed from outside, just above where the locking mechanism is, while you open the door with the handle. This will allow the power latching mechanism to turn completely, without any load on it.

Once open, you can then lube the power lock hinge, while also checking the rollers for wear and tear.

The rear of the door has 2 separate mechanisms.
One is like a normal car door. The clip on the door latches onto the bar in the last photo of post 5. There is a cable that runs from the handle to the back of the door to release this when you open the door.
The “power latching” is just the bar rotating and acting like a cam to pull the door shut the last 1/2 inch or so.
Sounds to me like the power latch / bar is rotating back which would release the door a small amount but the catch in the door is not being released.
I think it’s very unlikely the door is jammed at the front and would be careful applying too much force.
If there is enough of a gap at the back of the door you could try opening the catch with a wire coat hanger or similar.
Not sure how well I have explained that but if it doesn’t make sense let me know and I’ll take some pictures.

I would try pushing hard at the rear of the door from inside whilst someone else pulls the door handle outside gently just to operate the motor.
I had a similar problem with our old van & ended up having to replace the lock mechanism / cables.

Quick update on this, in case anyone else has a similar problem. I took the van to my local independent and they diagnosed a seized lock mechanism. They've freed it up, but have advised that it may need a new lock at some point. I expect it'll seize again during a sunny camping weekend!

Just had this issue, took the door card out and pulled the cable running from the lock mechanism to the rear latch.
It unlocked and opened the door, I know can’t open the door from inside only from outside

Just had this issue, took the door card out and pulled the cable running from the lock mechanism to the rear latch.
It unlocked and opened the door, I know can’t open the door from inside only from outside
Thats how mine failed on the T5.1 was about £130 for a complete new mechanism from an ebay seller. There are numerous different versions available so you need to buy from someone that can do a check against your VIN number.

is it possible to remove the door card with the door closed ?
my door wont open and trying not to sacrifice ruining the door card if don’t have to destroy it.
thanks

Worth a try with the right trim tools.
In the 1st picture in post #3 you can see a small rectangular piece of the door card that can be popped out. I can't remember what's behind it but worth a look as it must be right where the locking mechanism is.

Worth a try with the right trim tools.
In the 1st picture in post #3 you can see a small rectangular piece of the door card that can be popped out. I can't remember what's behind it but worth a look as it must be right where the locking mechanism is.
I have had, similar issues with my T5 Cali, the problem is with the microswitch operated by a cable in the rear latch. VW were no help and struggled to remove door card from inside, I have found that disconnecting the battery allows the sliding door to be opened manually and closed with a push from the back edge. With the door open the door card can be removed to replace latch and cable assembly. I have lived with this intermittent issue and slaved in a toggle pull behind the table to trip microswitch when problem reoccurs.

Back