Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Slide Out Tray - Self Made

TheDoc

TheDoc

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Just finished fitting my slide out tray, which is a neat addition to the Beach. I wanted higher load rating than the off the shelf options so decided to have a crack at it myself. Bought some 660mm stainless steel sliders, which hold 206kg, measured them and the van up when they arrived, had an aluminium tray and frame fabricated, and dropped in some 9mm ply. Went for 660mm sliders so it was deep enough to fit the fridge but would also enable me to push the seat back pretty much all the way for when I need to add a 6th seat.

9CE40843-8B96-4464-A874-8B68D6C2D412.jpeg

F71676EB-3071-4892-AB11-CE0F915107BE.jpeg

07415625-B437-46FF-AC9C-BD43C6A513C3.jpeg

View attachment B8473D43-9481-45DB-96B0-0D8511078469.jpeg

Just finished fitting my slide out tray, which is a neat addition to the Beach. I wanted higher load rating than the off the shelf options so decided to have a crack at it myself. Bought some 660mm stainless steel sliders, which hold 206kg, measured them and the van up when they arrived, had an aluminium tray and frame fabricated, and dropped in some 9mm ply. Went for 660mm sliders so it was deep enough to fit the fridge but would also enable me to push the seat back pretty much all the way for when I need to add a 6th seat.

View attachment 82932

View attachment 82933

View attachment 82934

View attachment 82935
Which model of fridge did you get? We have a 3 beach camper 3 seat bench on order and are looking at possible fridges

It’s a dometic cfx 35. Happy with it so far:)

It’s a dometic cfx 35. Happy with it so far:)
We now have the same. Great fridge and runs happily 24/7 off the leisure battery topped up by solar.

You might need to run a separate 12v feed off the battery as the fridge plug is quite long and so can foul the MFB/ sliding tray depending on position. It will reach the socket next to the bench seat, but will prevent you from plugging other things into the socket (we tried a splitter, but for some reason the voltage dropped off too much to run the fridge)

Last edited:
@TheDoc Nice job thanks for sharing, do you have the details of the rail thumbscrews you have used and where you got them please?

@Wogga they are from the club shop. I’ve looked for the link unsuccessfully - I don’t seem to have the required club shop navigation skills.

Looks fantastic, is the draw recommended for that type of fridge? I’m guessing pulling up the multi flex board is a bit of a pain?
I have the 3 seat beach and think the board height differs with the 2 seater but in mine there are a couple of inches clearance between top of fridge and board. I designed my drawer so that I didn’t have to pull up the multi flex to fit the drawer.

I have the 3 seat beach and think the board height differs with the 2 seater but in mine there are a couple of inches clearance between top of fridge and board. I designed my drawer so that I didn’t have to pull up the multi flex to fit the drawer.
I have a 3 seat bench on order, thanks for the info. It looks like a drawer makes access to the fridge so much easier.

View attachment 82932

View attachment 82933

View attachment 82934

View attachment 82935
This looks fantastic! A really clean build, well done. Where did you get the draw runners from?

Which model of fridge did you get? We have a 3 beach camper 3 seat bench on order and are looking at possible fridges
I have a nearly new indel b tb41 compressor fridge from our sold beach I’m about to advertise for sale, fits under the multiflex panel perfectly

This looks fantastic! A really clean build, well done. Where did you get the draw runners from?
Thanks. Having had It for a few months I’m pleased With the job. Got the runners from https://gsf-promounts.com/ There may be cheaper options than the ones I bought, which was stainless steel and a higher load rating of around 200kgs. You’ll need ones that lock to stop it sliding when driving etc.

Thanks. Having had It for a few months I’m pleased With the job. Got the runners from https://gsf-promounts.com/ There may be cheaper options than the ones I bought, which was stainless steel and a higher load rating of around 200kgs. You’ll need ones that lock to stop it sliding when driving etc.
Thanks! I have actually used https://gsf-promounts.com/ before to make a sliding tray for my pickup. like you say, they're not cheap but you get the large load rating and with the ones I've used before it had 110% slide distance.
Thanks for the help and sharing your project.

View attachment 82932

View attachment 82933

View attachment 82934

View attachment 82935
Really nice job, well done! I am curious what is the internal dimension of your tray as the drawing says 670mm deep but I see the dometic CXF 35 is 694mm deep. I am about to build my kitchen and am trying to figure out what size tray is optimal for my 3 seat Beach arriving next month.

Many thanks - I have a CFX35 and it fits fine (the dimensions in the diagram are correct) - presume the 694 depth includes the handles which stick out either end a bit but the base depth is shorter - from memory there is a gap between the bottom of the front of the tray and the fridge when it is pushed right back of about 30mm as it’s just wide enough for my Dartmoor knife…

if I was to tweak the design it would be to increase the depth of the angle iron used in the outside U bracket - probably add another 1cm on it as the pre-drilled holes in the sliders are close to the top of the angle iron (aluminium but you get my drift) could do with another 1cm really (i.e. 60mm angle c.f. 50mm) - the centres are not 13mm down (per the diagram) but more like 5mm as the bottom of the sliders are curved and take the centres a bit higher

Last edited: