Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Skiing in Scotland?

Aidy P

Aidy P

Don't play that 'What If?' game, you'll never win!
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Weather dependent this winter I'm thinking of trying to squeeze a long weekend skiing in Scotland in my van.

If anyone else had done this I'd appreciate any recommendations please as to where is good and where to camp for Glenshee, Cairngorm, Glencoe, Nevis Range and The Lecht.

I haven't skied in Scotland before and people say that it can be quite brutal weather compared to the Alps so if anyone has also taken kids with them and stayed in their vans please let me know how it went. If it's too challenging for little ones it may be a solo trip.

Thanks

Weather dependent this winter I'm thinking of trying to squeeze a long weekend skiing in Scotland in my van.

If anyone else had done this I'd appreciate any recommendations please as to where is good and where to camp for Glenshee, Cairngorm, Glencoe, Nevis Range and The Lecht.

I haven't skied in Scotland before and people say that it can be quite brutal weather compared to the Alps so if anyone has also taken kids with them and stayed in their vans please let me know how it went. If it's too challenging for little ones it may be a solo trip.

Thanks
Hi aidy
We have been a few times.
Stayed on the car park at glen coe,
That was ok but nothing around,

Stayed a few times at the spittal of glenshee village and drove up the mountain in the daytime .awsome times there.
The spittal village was fantastic a great boozer
Log fire great booze great food and haggis :) also a live singer,after a day on the mountain what more do you need??
oh also with hook up in the car park for £5 a night (we never used the hook up.)
But I heard a rumour it had burned down AGAIN:(
There was a big plaque as you walked through the door telling a story of how many times it’s burned down, very freaky and interesting....
hopefully they will rebuild it AGAIN.
also done avimore good campsite there in the town too.
It can be windy on the mountain but if you get the weather it’s superb.
if you do glenshee you can wild camp at the shi shop car park we have done this too.so plenty options there buddy enjoy.
We may be going ourselves this year too hopefully not been for a few years now!

Last edited:
Not a skier my thing is hill walking. Best advice is to check the snow / ski reports before any journeys as the runs can be non existent. Hopefully this year might prove better but I would recommend checking first.

Just had a quick search it definitely burned down in 2014 :(

Last edited:
Learnt to ski in Gleeshee Scotland in 1975 after being snowed in rock climbing on Ben Macdui and ski mountaineered for about 3 winters half dozen weekends each winter until realised the Alps were nearer to London ! Got sun burnt many times but weather changing .

Suggest best tip from sailing is check the Jet Stream forecast and if it’s anywhere near Scotland don’t go . If it’s nowhere near Scotland will be amazing . Obviously you need good snow as well !

Last edited:
You can park really at all of them if you fancy it. Glenshee has hookups as well beside the ski school building which I think you pay 5 quid for (I didn;t pay as i was working). It's pretty cool being up there overnight. I used to do 2 or 3 days depending on work and often skinned up on a clear night for a late ski ! I also took my 4 year old up season before last for an overnighter which she loved, we both slept downstairs as its a bit warmer with the roof down and it was absolutely fine - she loved it as we built a little fire and did marshmallows in the snow.
Cairngorm - you can camp at Glenmore all year round. BEST site which is a little further away is grantown on spey as it has the most epic heated toilet block EVER.
Glenshee - as said SoG burned down a few years back and is deserted now. You could park down there but why bother when you can park in the car park and hookup.
Glencoe - car park, Kingshouse also let you park if you eat and drink there sometimes, be nice.
Nevis Range (Fort Bill) - carpark again, sheltered as lower down and gondola up to ski field. FW only a few miles away.
Lecht - pretty exposed up there and a939 often first road to close (thats out winter barometer - when it shuts its winter), GoS best option as above or Tomintoul town on W side.

The jet stream tip is a good one. It's moved s bit in recent years & the weather has been worse. Think there's been a lot of snow tho!

You gotta be desperate to ski up there.
It takes a day to drive there and to be honest, you can get down to parts of France in a few hours more. Where the conditions, skiing and weather are ten fold better.

You gotta be desperate to ski up there.
It takes a day to drive there and to be honest, you can get down to parts of France in a few hours more. Where the conditions, skiing and weather are ten fold better.
That’s good if you live south....
I’m north,I can drive to Scotland for a long weekend
I can’t go to the alps for the weekend ...
Scotland is a beautiful place and if you get the weather it’s as good as any where..

True
Scotland is lovely.
But skiing in Scotland, has like 3 days of skiing a year. Even then it works on a fraction of the Alps. Don’t even get me started on that Victorian lift system...

That’s good if you live south....
I’m north,I can drive to Scotland for a long weekend
I can’t go to the alps for the weekend ...
Scotland is a beautiful place and if you get the weather it’s as good as any where..

Last year I did take the van to France. I drove down to London for a night on the awful M1. Got up at 6am the next day and by 6pm I was in Samoen. Great trip. But a different adventure.

As I have a California I’d like to try Scotland (without midges!) I live in North Yorkshire so I could feasibly be up to Glenshee in 6 hours.

Thanks for the tips so far and great photo @briwy !! What did you use the hook up for? Not the fridge!!

Last year I did take the van to France. I drove down to London for a night on the awful M1. Got up at 6am the next day and by 6pm I was in Samoen. Great trip. But a different adventure.

As I have a California I’d like to try Scotland (without midges!) I live in North Yorkshire so I could feasibly be up to Glenshee in 6 hours.

Thanks for the tips so far and great photo @briwy !! What did you use the hook up for? Not the fridge!!

Fan heater to get it really warmed up and then little oil radiator heater, lights and radio on a lot as well so playing safe:)

That reminds me I need to get my little oil radiator back from my friend who bought a Marco Polo without a heater :D

I live in Scotland and my advice would be to save your money and time and drive to France.
The trouble with Scotland is that you can drive up to the ski resorts only to be told it's too windy to ski, which has happened to me on several different occasions.
VERY FRUSTRATING :(

I live an hour from the lecht so lucky I can check if the ski runs are open before. I can’t wait to take my 4motion up there for a trip!! :)

Sorry.. On a more responsive note. Yea - agree, skiing in Scotland is not like the Alps (I dont think that any of the resorts actually claim this though?) But some of us indeed dont live in the south coast of England. For those close enough to the slopes in Scotland then it does make a great weekend adventure trip - the conditions can often be stunning, not the alps but a rugged beauty in its own unique way and thats what keeps it so popular. The marginal conditions also mean that you can do plenty other activities if the weather doesnt oblige.. As for options - Spittal of Glenshee has been replaced by eco huts I believe now but go over to the other side and the Braemar site is a really nice winter option and popular - the town is really taking off. Its a great kick off point for an early attack on the hill and a couple great ski rental options in Braemar mean you can get ahead of the crowds on a good day. Aviemore is always a good bet for more consistent ski conditions and the Glenmore campsite is year round and another brilliant site with solid winter facilities - 10minute drive from the ski centre and loads of non ski related things to do.

Sure its not the alps - can be wild but thats what we all have heaters in the Cali for huh??

Just back to all of the above in November and first day of December, some great skiing and good time with the kids just being out in the wilds. Big bonus - no midges!!

Enjoy - feel free to PM me if I can help more..

IMG_5331.jpg

Probably wasn't sarcasm. I once stood on a beach in Tiree with a bunch of guys staring at the wind apps on their phones, complaining that the weather wasn't doing as forecasted. There are some very good sites for weather now and they are more accurate than they used to be.

Scotland is still Scotland tho and it can be variable. We would never go back to Skye as we had a miserable week there, several glorious weeks on Tiree tho...

Probably wasn't sarcasm. I once stood on a beach in Tiree with a bunch of guys staring at the wind apps on their phones, complaining that the weather wasn't doing as forecasted. There are some very good sites for weather now and they are more accurate than they used to be.

Scotland is still Scotland tho and it can be variable. We would never go back to Skye as we had a miserable week there, several glorious weeks on Tiree tho...

Yes, I get that now.

And I am planning a few trips up north skiing over the next few months what ever the weather brings.
As Gavrobb says that's what the heaters are for :thumb

We would never go back to Skye as we had a miserable week there

It does get nice there too you know.. I get it guys I really do - its not the best weather but when it does oblige its magical. Sure - its nice being on a big continent and getting more consistent, extreme weather but it is what it is - check what you can and remember we are all going out there in a pretty fit for purpose rig for all extremes... Enjoy - any help for whats up here just shout...

Sorry.. On a more responsive note. Yea - agree, skiing in Scotland is not like the Alps (I dont think that any of the resorts actually claim this though?) But some of us indeed dont live in the south coast of England. For those close enough to the slopes in Scotland then it does make a great weekend adventure trip - the conditions can often be stunning, not the alps but a rugged beauty in its own unique way and thats what keeps it so popular. The marginal conditions also mean that you can do plenty other activities if the weather doesnt oblige.. As for options - Spittal of Glenshee has been replaced by eco huts I believe now but go over to the other side and the Braemar site is a really nice winter option and popular - the town is really taking off. Its a great kick off point for an early attack on the hill and a couple great ski rental options in Braemar mean you can get ahead of the crowds on a good day. Aviemore is always a good bet for more consistent ski conditions and the Glenmore campsite is year round and another brilliant site with solid winter facilities - 10minute drive from the ski centre and loads of non ski related things to do.

Sure its not the alps - can be wild but thats what we all have heaters in the Cali for huh??

Just back to all of the above in November and first day of December, some great skiing and good time with the kids just being out in the wilds. Big bonus - no midges!!

Enjoy - feel free to PM me if I can help more..

View attachment 28135

Thanks @Gavrobb. I’ve got the same topper as you! Do you rent skis or take your own. How well supplied are the rentals in Scotland? In France I usually rent skis (have my own boots) but was thinking of getting a used ones off eBay to give more flexibility.