Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Skiing for XMAS

Nick this is all brilliant - thanks.

I've booked a few nights at the Huttopia campsite in Bourg St Maurice to begin with - looks like the most straight forward way to get my bearings. I have some kitesurf kites and would love to try snow kiting if i get proficient at skiing - La Roseire looks like a good spot for that so I may head there next. As you suggest, I'll just hire skis as i go.

I'll avoid Meribel...
In Bourg Saint Maurice you can hire your ski equipment from Polaire Star which is right by the funicular. If you hire from them they let you leave your skis with them overnight which makes life a bit easier. The Les Arcs ski pass gives you free accces to the funicular.

We are staying on the Huttopia site over Christmas but in one of the wooden chalets. If I see a UK plate Cali I’ll come and say hello.

Nick this is all brilliant - thanks.

I've booked a few nights at the Huttopia campsite in Bourg St Maurice to begin with - looks like the most straight forward way to get my bearings. I have some kitesurf kites and would love to try snow kiting if i get proficient at skiing - La Roseire looks like a good spot for that so I may head there next. As you suggest, I'll just hire skis as i go.

I'll avoid Meribel...

Kites AND skis?!! So much to go wrong there ;-)

I am tempted to go to the alps instead of Norway this winter. But a 20 hour drive instead of 5-6 hours keeps me off the idea.

I would say a topper is absolutely essential, keeps the van much warmer upstairs, minimises any condensation in the roof bellows and keeps snow out of the lifting mechanism.

In Bourg Saint Maurice you can hire your ski equipment from Polaire Star which is right by the funicular. If you hire from them they let you leave your skis with them overnight which makes life a bit easier. The Les Arcs ski pass gives you free accces to the funicular.

We are staying on the Huttopia site over Christmas but in one of the wooden chalets. If I see a UK plate Cali I’ll come and say hello.
great - I'll check them out for hire. Off topic slightly - but do people ever hire their jacket and trousers?

I'll certainly come and say hello. I'll be the guy freezing his ass off with no roof topper in the silver 2016 Beach :)

thanks again

great - I'll check them out for hire. Off topic slightly - but do people ever hire their jacket and trousers?

I'll certainly come and say hello. I'll be the guy freezing his ass off with no roof topper in the silver 2016 Beach :)

thanks again

Get ski gear at great prices from Decathlon, probably cheaper than hiring

thanks again
As above check out Decathlon for gear, prices are good and so is the quality of the gear. You can hire a helmet with your skis and boots.

thanks again
If your cold sleep downstairs and keep the roof down.

Last edited:
Me and my two kids where in Norway for four days. Due to our roofbox I was inable to raise the roof but it worked out fine us three sleeping togethere downstairs. Heater running 24/7 for four days.

As above check out Decathlon for gear, prices are good and so is the quality of the gear. You can hire a helmet with your skis and boots.
Just bought a vented helmet from Decathlon £14.99.

Just bought a vented helmet from Decathlon £14.99.
I wouldn't rent a helmet, who knows how they have been treated and as you say you can buy them cheap but the OP did ask about renting gear.

Hi. We went to Samoens where there is a great campsite a 5 minute walk to the gondola up to the Grand Massif ski area. It's got a ski and boot room and whilst the shower blocks are a bit old, they are very warm. There are a couple of decent bars in Samoens, but its not really banging if that's what you want. You could do a little circuit based on the replies you get. If you do, can you post an update with the best sites for skiing. Thanks.
How was it for eating out?